Countdown to Darkness - Review and Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jan 23, 2013.

?

Rate the comics

1. Excellent

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Above Average

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The bridge design was, even if the exterior wasn't...

Speculation: assuming that the Constellation isn't actually a Constitution-class (is there anything in the canon to require this, or is it simply an assumption based on reusing the model kit/sets?), I wonder if April's Enterprise was a member of the JJ-verse version of that class.

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually really like that design's much more slender nacelles. Wish the current movie Enterprise looked more like that.

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I wonder how the article about this ship is going to be called on Memory Beta? :confused:

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My understanding that the intent always was for the Constellation to be a Constitution class, meaning they would have even if they were capable of building another model or sets. Mainly for dramatic reason, this ship is basically the exact same as the Enterprise and it got torn to shreds by whatever this titular Doomsday Machine is.

Maybe that's not a canon reason requiring it to be a Constitution, but to assume it's not kind of guts The Doomsday Machine of its drama.

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's certainly true from a emotional and dramatic point of view... I hadn't thought about it that way before.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I have believed that the jjverse was a separate universe before the excursions of Nero and Spock. This seem to evidencecthat it is the caze, coming from Orci.

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Sorry, what is the problem with the Constellation? The low registry? I assumed there was a USS Constellation (NCC-1017) of whatever class. The Constitution-class successor inherited both name and registry (the "-A" idea not yet in practise).

When is Issue 3 coming out?

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

March 13

9. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems to me that the current regime doesn't really have a hard and fast opinion or even understanding of the subject. When they wanted to make hardcore fanboys cool with the idea of changing the timeline (an idea necessitated by including Old Spock in a new 'reboot'), they said that it was a new timeline branching off from, but not destroying, the original.

Now they want the creative freedom to dump all the baggage of the old continuity, and so they ignore any requirements imposed on them by it pre-2233.

Since the evidence from the tie-ins continues to support the idea of a total reboot, and only one piece of evidence from the original film points to the pre-incursion timeline being the original Trek timeline (namely the casting of Leonard Nimoy), I'll go with all the other evidence that hints to the fact that this is a total reboot. I don't have a problem with that, I just wish we could acknowledge it and move on.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

From Trekmovie.com, shortly after the release of the 2009 movie:

GaryS: Was the timeline that Nero visited the original past up to the point that George Kirk is killed? Or was it always an alternate timeline because Nero was destined to travel there?

BobOrci: We think of it is as identical to the original until Nero arrives.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/05/22/orci-and-kurtzman-reveal-star-trek-details-in-trekmovie-fan-qa/

It's possible they've changed their minds since then...

11. veritech

veritech Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Where did you see a leaked plot summary?

12. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somebody should ask that question over there, and see if they get an answer. Whether writing Star Trek Into Darkness has forced them to backtrack, in order to make the story they want to tell work.

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with the above posts. They will tell comics stories and movies that they want and ignore the pre 2233 timeline.
    I see no problem with that as long as they given up the altered timeline explanation or belief in MWI.

14. ChristopherPike

You might want to find out what the above poster believes, before agreeing with them. ;)

I'm happier that they DO try to adhere to things established before 2233 in the timeline. But every so often, I see evidence that both supports (Vulcan ringships, a design taken from ENT) and goes against (the Valliant described as a Starfleet vessel before the organisation existed, probably UESPA in the late 21st Century and rumours that they want Gorn to be from another galaxy for no significant reason that I can see etc).

But it's their call to make... whether or not the universe Nero arrived in, was identical to the Prime Universe up until the Kelvin was destroyed. Comic continuity has always been all over the shop anyway, but if it's intended to feel joined up with the new movies explaining backstory that will whizz by quickly or not figure into a two-hour movie, I wish just that little extra effort were put in.

So far, it seems to be dancing around any plot of substance. I'm seeing the original Countdown as being the better prequel comic... but I'm admittedly biased, what with it featuring Nero coming into conflict with TNG characters and well-established starship designs! And his grievance, the destruction of Romulus, setting the scene for the film. By comparison, Countdown to Darkness is all rather opaque and impenetrable for clues about what is to come. I'm betting it's mostly all red-herrings.

Shame Countdown didn't get made into an animated adventure, featuring the voices of the Next Generation crew... It still holds up very well in my memory and in some ways, like a whole missing film.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The ringship that was eventually designated a Vulcan design by ENT appears on the rec deck of the USS Enterprise in ST:TMP. As one of the previous vessels that bore the Enterprise name.

"... the very first starship U.S.S. Enterprise (never seen on television, but according to Gene Roddenberry, who supplied the sketch, it is a forerunner to the vessel we all know)" - Susan Sackett, The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

There's nothing in canon that says they can't be from another galaxy.

You and I have no idea how much "effort" was put in. And since when has ST ever stymied itself by refusing to massage canon a little in the interest of the creators telling what they believe is the best possible story?

16. ChristopherPike

Is that your full defensive capability then, Therin? You're enjoying the Nu-Trek comics more than me. :)

I know all that... But I'm talking specifically about Vulcan scoutships and cruisers lifted wholesale directly from ENT a while back. Same colour. Same shape. Ship designs different enough (in my eyes) from a piece of artwork seen onscreen a fraction of their screentime. A piece of set decoration showing the XCV-330 twin-wheel with a thin projectile like needle running down the centre. And I know of no specific time that previous Enterprise shown on the rec deck, was rebranded a Vulcan ship. It appeared on the wall of the 602 Club among other human created spaceflight achievements.

See a comment I made a page or so back. It very much depends when they are have supposed to have arrived. It's obviously impossible for hints about Gorn to be dropped by other alien cultures like the Orions, let alone appear in a Mirror Universe, a hundred years before they first exit a wormhole or whatever.

It just seems more of a Star Wars riff, than anybody ingrained in Star Trek lore would come up with... where Kelvans from Andromeda aside, pesky alien threats are diverse enough right here, within our own galaxy.

17. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I think I'm starting to see it too. Annoying detailing aside, the basic lines of April's Enterprise (inside and out) match the classic starship we know and love much more than the Abramsprise does. And it's only been out of service for two years, with its' former XO/commander (Peter Weller's character in the film, apparently) now in the Admiralty...

The big space battle (over Earth) of Into Darkness = Kirk's Enterprise vs. April's Enterprise. I'm calling it now.

18. ChristopherPike

Now that's something I'd love to see. They wanted two Enterprises to be locked in combat for Generations, but that's more difficult when Kirk and Picard are both heroes. What I sadly think sinks this possibility is... wouldn't the design of an older Enterprise be a little more pinned down? Detailed? It's just the Abramsverse exterior with smaller nacelles. Up there on the big screen, they'd need to be different from each other. Like the Reliant is not the same configuration the Enterprise is. That's the hero ship and that's the villainous one. If they look very similar, then that's confusing except for fans. The Narada appeared fully formed in the previous Countdown by this stage because people working in the film's art dept had finalised its appearance. It strikes me the artists working on this comic haven't been given enough reference material for that ship or an actual actor playing Robert April for this to be very important.

Maybe there wasn't enough leadtime and the artists had to work by written descriptions alone or maybe we can expect neither to feature onscreen during Star Trek Into Darkness.

19. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Not if you're wanting its' appearance on-screen to be a total jawdropping surprise to everyone and only have them realize after the fact that it was totally set-up. Having it be ultra-detailed on the comic page (the way the Narada was) would give away that "holy shit, we're gonna see this in the movie!" (And look earlier in the issue - the Abramsprise ain't too detailed in this comic either.)

If my guess is correct, April's Enterprise onscreen is gonna look a lot more like the classic 60's ship (or perhaps a TOS/TMP hybrid) than the Abramsprise. There's your difference right there - and a direct answer to the fans who complained that Ryan Church went too far in redesigning the Enterprise. "All right, here's the ship you say you wanted - and the bad guy's in the captain's chair."

Again, entirely on purpose - JJ and company wants to keep us guessing ("Is Cumberbatch Khan, April or somebody else?") all the way into our theater seat.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Or, it could be that none of this is going to appear in the movie and the connection is a lot more indirect. The more elaborate the theory, the less likely it is.