Wind Farms

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Jun 21, 2015.

?

Are wind farms noisy and ugly?

1. Noisy but not ugly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ugly but not noisy

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Both

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Neither

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  5. Don't know/don't care

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Recently Australia's Prime Minister, Tony ABbott, has said that wind farms are both ugly and noisy. I thought I ask your opinion of them., thus a poll.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds to me like he's fighting an imaginary enemy.

I don't mind em

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

He is siding up with his extremely rich, coal mining friends.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

They are ugly and noisy, so what. I'll take it over the dirty and destructive coal mining or petrol drilling any day.

5. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Having been to the a visitor centre on Prince Edward Island which also has a wind farm I can I heard the ocean. Could not hear any sound from the wind turbines nor could my wife who has very good hearing.

It's all bullshit from abbott.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think they're beautiful. I've never understood people saying they were a blot on the landscape.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

There's one out in the California desert I used to drive through. It was a brown, dusty, dull landscape and then out of nowhere, all these towering, white wind-turbines appear. I thought it was rather attractive.

8. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

To me, they all look like art installations.

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

There's one not far from here, and several more in nearby areas.

To put it as politely as I can, they're among the ugliest things I've ever seen. "Blot on the landscape" is far too kind.

(Coal mines are just as bad, of course.)

I can't offer any comment on the noise factor as I have no intention of getting close enough to the damned things to find out in person.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Which is funny, because Tony Abbott is both ugly and noisy.

11. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ :guffaw: Far be it from me...

I am with Relayer and auntie. I find them like works of art on the landscape. Now, near us, in the Midwest US, I have never seen any that were located anywhere near an Urban area. Seeing them in the distance from the highway, and knowing what they are designed for makes me smile.

And then, of course, "Mission: Impossible" and Hueys! :bolian:

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The ones I've seen are beautiful, like a field of giant futuristic flowers. I don't know if they're noisy, but I don't see why they would be or why it matters. It worries me that I've heard that a large number of birds are killed by flying into them, but I don't know if that's true or not. The bottom line is that they are a non-polluting, open-ended energy source and so they're helping to save civilization.

Sounds to me like the guy is just tilting at windmills.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I suppose it all depends on where they are, there are two near me, not that I can see them from where I live, but they are the largest structures for miles (aside from electricty pylons), so they do tend to stick out. And I'm at Sea Level.

14. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Very very ugly and very very noisy. The coal something* across my kindergarten was so much prettier and it smelt much much nicer – did you know that green activists don't use deodorants?

* I think it used to be a small heating plant of some sort, but I am relying on information from an eight-year old me, so for all I know it could be a random chimney realising something very healthy in the air. Like oxygen or hallucinogens.

15. HIjol

:lol:

Yeah, maybe blowing hot air!

Hey, don't bogart that now!...can you, like, get me some Bituminous Black?

16. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

No uglier than houses, power cables, chimneys, fields, hot-houses, barns, roads and all the other kibble personhood has littered out over the landscape... If anything the slow rotating movement of the wings are soothing to look at!

No noisier than a motorised lawnmower, two kids playing, a highway, a motorcycle, a couple of teens with a stereo...

I don't think this guy is tilting windmills or blowing hot air... But he certainly hit the fan with something.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wind farms are really spectacular, but I had a hard time driving through them at first because it gave me a vertigo-like feeling. Through repetition, it's gotten easier. :)

I don't know how noisy they are, because I've only ever driven through them.

18. HIjol

:lol:

Yeah, a real Stiff Breeze to waft that "something"...

19. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

If he thinks wind farms are ugly, I wonder whether he's ever seen a big hydroelectric plant!

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I drove through Iowa once where there's wind-farms everywhere. I thought it was awesome and almost majestic looking. Ugly? I... "suppose" but there's any number of ways they can be designed to look more aesthetically pleasing and I've seen some that look quite nice. Noisy? That I cannot speak to as I was never close enough to one to gauge it's noise but I can't see them being *that* noisy and I'm sure with more development/research they can be made more silent.