If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Aug 15, 2013.

?

If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

1. Yes

86.7%
  2. No

13.3%
  1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Oh, yes it does. And particularly with Star Trek.

We have different eras of Star Trek and each one is different in style and tone from the other. We have an adolescent Federation in the 23rd-Century, a more mature Federation in the 24th-Century, and no Federation in the 22nd-Century (at least up to 2161). With any dramatic story, the era is definitely important--it's no less than a major part of the setting and will impact what kind of stories will be told and how the characters will relate to the things of their era, just like is it for Westerns, World War II epics, or medieval stories.

A 25th-Century Trek series will be no different because of the new situations that could be in place by then (new bad guys, new good guys, a new interstellar political climate, etc.).
    Oh, that's just saying that every Star Trek series is always the same, and I don't agree with that. I do think the "details" you're dismissing are actually terribly vital series aspects and do go a long way to distinguishing each series from another. I also think a major point for a 25th-Century series is to move things forward, to have a new status quo already in place after a period of time has passed and to see how different things have become as the series unfolds.
    By that definition, they could fit easily in any sci-fi series (just use different names). But since this is Star Trek, I would like to see how things have changed in the 25th-Century and what's new there. I want to see what comes next in that Universe rather than stay forever in the TOS era.
    That's really just a fundamental difference of opinion, because I find it very compelling.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

All Star Trek maps are at best guesswork, but this one is simply wrong. As per First Contact, the Federation encompasses "8,000 light years"; the Milky Way galaxy is at least 100,000 light years in diameter. So the Federation can't be more than 1/10 of the galaxy (and probably quite less), while here it's at least half of the galaxy.

Also, no way the Kzinti/Tzenkethi and Talarians have a larger territory than the Cardassian Union.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'd still like a Titan series. Live action or animated. And yes, with Frakes, Sirtis and Russ :D

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Tuvok? I would hope that if is there is a Titan series, it would be completely disconnected from the Titan depicted in the books. Give the production team a fresh ship (other than Riker and Troi) to create their characters and stories.

Given the advances in medical science shown on the series, the centuries would change a medical story quite a bit.

One of the problem with a 25th century show would be that the technology would be so far advance that it would be difficult to have any drama on the show, things would be too easy for the crew.

:)

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I agree to a point. Either canon Titan (with those actors/characters) for nostalgia. If not, completely different ship/crew. In which case, not bothered or take on merit.

6. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

My problem with this is the assumption conflict within stories of Star Trek are to be solved by technology. That has been too often the case. But I find it a sign of very lazy, bad writing that so many stories ended up structured that way. I remain far, far more interested in conflict between people and ideas.

7. iguana_tonante

And Superman will never be a compelling or successful character, because he's just too powerful.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In isolation superman really wasn't, because he was so powerful. However he wasn't surrounded by others like himself, it was his weaker friends, and those in his society that was the source of the drama.

:)

9. C.E. Evans

That's not really a given for a 25th-Century series. If anything, there should be new challenges that arise to create new drama. Truthfully, though, any new technology will have some kind of new limitation, or there will be someone else out there that could take away any advantages it might have.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Ok, that was just the first map I found, and they all fluctuate but my original point was that 25th century tech, after Nemesis, Voyager, and NuTrek (with a Prime Spock with the know-how to make artificial blackholes) wrapped up, would have to be amazingly upgraded.

I figure every part of the Milkyway galaxy is reachable by then, with a strong feeling that Borg space will be greatly reduced, and relations between ex-warring species has the galaxy on edge. I'd limit the number of warp capable species to make it work, but a ship (which I would name Enterprise G) could be testing out a wormhole-warp engine by then, to seek out newer and stranger species beyond our galaxy.

11. iguana_tonante

I.E. what matters is the story, not the powers and abilities of the characters. Which was my point.

Or we might concentrate on narratives, instead of technobabbles.

12. C.E. Evans

Our Galaxy is an extremely big place--and it extends in three dimensions. When we look at any particular map of the Galaxy, all we see are the largest concentrations of stars (the core and the so-called arms). There are also stars that aren't visible both above and below the galactic plane because their concentrations aren't as heavy, and as such, they don't glow as brightly together. Our Galaxy isn't so much a flat disk, but a very large sphere with a very visible cross section.

There is potentially about a trillion star systems in our Galaxy. Even with transwarp or slipstream drive, it could take further centuries (if not millennia) to explore them all. And that's not even counting the countless star clusters that are within the Galaxy's sphere. Each of those clusters could contain tens to hundreds of thousands of stars.

Forget other galaxies. Heck, you'd need transwarp drive to really explore our Galaxy, IMO.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yes, this map here (with all the Alpha and Beta Quadrant Most known Species we know [before Voyager's Delta Quadrant Trek]), seems much more realistic to me, with the Alpha and beta Quadrant powers we are familiar with all bunched up close to the separator line between the Alpha and beta Quadrants

http://www.stdimension.org/int/Cartography/mwdiv.htm#shape

Also, even on this map, the Dominion Space is huge, and it's just a fraction of the Gamma Quadrant.

14. David.Blue

Oh yeah that is a MUCH better map! :bolian:

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my map sucked but 100 years after Janeway brought back transwarp they would have perfected it, exploring a great portion of the milkyway, plus who's to say how many worlds are warp capable?

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

What does that have to do with anything?

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

They can't interfere with non-warp capable species. What's starfleet to do once they found all the warp capable ones?

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There are 300 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy. I don't care how fast you're able to travel, it will take a massive amount of time to explore them all.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assuming you had 1000 ships with full crews... assuming they can instantaneously travel anywhere... and assume they're all so good they can fully explore a system in one day... and assume nothing goes wrong like hostile aliens or anomalies or what not...

That's would still take those ships 300 million days to explore them assuming perfect coordination. That's over 800,000 years. Assuming they don't take a day off. Safe to say even when speed doesn't become an issue, there's still plenty of galaxy to explore. ;)

20. David.Blue

Well, keep in mind most star systems in this galaxy are binary systems, so cut that number in half. A little over 400,000 years. Still...!