Robert Picardo -- Best Male Trek Actor Next to Stewart

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by lordbaltimore1, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Best male actors in Trek... quite a few, but my top 10 choices would be these (in no particular order):
    Patrick Stewart, Marc Alaimo, Jeffrey Coombs, Leonard Nimoy, Armin Shimerman,
    Casey Biggs, Andrew Robinson, Robert Picardo, Colm Meaney (may "only" play the everyday guy but he's solid quality), Avery Brooks. Siddig El Fadil deserves a shout too.

2. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

I'm glad you mentioned Colm Meaney. A lot of people overlook him, because he plays a "regular guy", but he did a wonderful job as O'Brien, especially in DS9. On a space station full of aliens, he brought a very down-to-earth quality to the show that otherwise might have been lacking.

3. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would agree with you!!!!:techman:

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

My favorite male Trek actors... Robert Picardo might have to be my number one because I have a weird attachment to the Doctor. He's just awesome.

Besides Picardo, my other fave is Armin Shimerman. Patrick Stewart has to be there of course. My Garak, Andrew J. Robinson. And of course John de Lancie as Q.

I also love Avery Brooks, Leonard Nimoy, Tim Russ, Robert Duncan McNeill, Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn, Colm Meaney, and Rene Auberjonois.

George Takei is amazing for entirely different reasons. I just love him as a human.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  5. Ryva Brall

You're not the only one. I was young and impressionable during VOY's original run, and I became inordinately fond of the Doctor in those seven years. His dry, snarky, irascible sense of humor just resonated with my own. He's still my favorite Trek character, and probably always will be.

Oh, I wasn't aware he was your Garak. ;)

I know, right? He's fantastic. And he always posts the funniest pictures on his Facebook page.

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Joy, joy, joy...

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Captain Kathryn

:lol: Yes, he is all mine.

Yeah I always re-post his Facebook posts. He's hilarious on there.

9. Captain Kathryn

I love how the Trek actors all tweet with each other haha.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That almost tempts me to give twitter or facebook a try. :p

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've never understood the fascination with Facebook and Twitter. Maybe it's because I have no social life* and am home at least 23 hours a day. And both seem sort of pointless if you don't have a cellphone.

* = I've had a landline for 7 years and never gotten a phone call from someone I know.

12. Ryva Brall

Yeah, I don't have a Twitter account, and I only use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and relatives I don't get to see often. But I think it's rather sweet that the different Trek casts tweet each other.

13. teacake

If you make a facebook account (you don't have to use your real name) and like Takei's page you'll get some amusement every day less effort than reading this bbs. That's all you have to do :lol: His likes are at 4 million now!!!

You don't need a phone for either of them Melakon.

14. Melakon

I thought the whole point of Twitter was so you'd instantly know when someone you followed had a really big burrito aftermath. ;)

There's a local entertainment/nightlife group here in town that runs a website announcing events. When I tried to register, the first problem was the available years for Date of Birth didn't go back as far as mine. So I'm only 42 there, though I'm older than Picardo. The second problem was they wanted a cellphone so they could send back a code confirming you were a real person. I had to ask a friend to call the site for me, as I've not even handled a cellphone. Even Google/YouTube keeps trying to convince me with full screen notices to give them my cellphone number so they can send alerts.

I once had to carry a pager for a month, which meant being on-call 24 hours a day, until a replacement manager was hired for the department after the first abruptly quit. It was stressful for me (I had to take 2 days off after one was found), which is probably why I'm adverse to cellphones.

I do have a Facebook under an alias, but I've not checked it since last year.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  15. Captain Kathryn

George Takei's Facebook is the best! He is funny, open, and honest all the time. He loves joking around with fans. :lol:

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's true Meaney should be in this conversation.

He's the only Trek actor who got his job the hard way, by being cast as a throwaway ansillary character and proving himself by delivering his two lines every five episodes so well they couldn't help but give him more.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't help but wonder how many times they discussed having O'brien killed in TNG. You know it had to happen. :p

18. teacake

I bet they did! The everyman, perfect death. Not a red shirt, someone you know but not as important as the others. Thank goodness that never happened, he was great on DS9.

19. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

I find Twitter very useful. It's a social media platform used by the fiber community (as is Pinterest). But more than that, I discovered quite by accident and very early in my days on Twitter, it can me an amazing source of help in the midst of disaster.

Almost 2 years ago, the place where I'm from was flooded in the wake of Irene. Roads & bridges gone, homes & farms washed away. The local internet newspaper set up a central site for needs (folks stranded here, medications needed there, shelters are here, food is needed there...) and were constantly tweeting requests. From 3000 miles away, I could mostly just cry.

Then a request came through for kosher food at one of the shelters. I RT'd that to a follower in NYC who RT'd it to some folks at her synagogue who contacted the shelter and drove the food up themselves that night.

It was pretty cool to watch that in action. But even moreso was just the good will people all over the world were sending to some very isolated (and very disheartened) farmers. I've seen that again after the recent heavy snows in the UK--farm folks and city folks all over the world are just giving guys who've lost huge numbers of livestock some dearly needed encouragement and support. Social media has been a godsend for rural residents.

It actually makes going home possible.

20. Melakon

Maybe I don't understand how it's organized. I've only looked at it in occasional instances of looking up an individual user's feed when it's mentioned elsewhere, so I'm only seeing narrow examples, not the big picture.

I don't understand how one can keep track of anything if you're following hundreds of different accounts.

And there's nothing going on in my life that would interest anyone, as my waking hours are nearly always at this machine.