"James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JacksonArcher, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Michael Fassbender would be perfect for the role, but for the time being I'm quite happy with Daniel Craig.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I never meant to suggest they were with my initial comment. But The Saint and Remington Steele are not nearly the pop-culture icons as Superman is.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It has nothing to do with how iconic the role is, though. It's about how well-known the actor's face is. I mean, who the *tutzifrutzi* is Brandon Routh today?

4. Broccoli

The guy who played Superman which the media would continually bring up if he was cast in another big time role such as James Bond. Anything is possible, but I can't see the producers wanting the attention of their latest Bond to be continually connected to another big character.

5. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Plus, if Man of Steel is a hit and sequels are made, Cavill will probably be playing Superman for the next ten years. I wonder if he'll want to play another franchise character after playing one for so long.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope he plays Superman for the next ten years. I have high hopes for MOS. As much as I want Michael Fassbender to take over the role after Craig is done, I doubt this will happen. He's going to be too busy between the FC sequel and other films to be able to dedicate to a franchise.

7. Broccoli

^ Plus, if his star keeps rising, I can see him household naming himself right out of the role. Personally, I bet that is why Clive Owen wasn't approached (depending, of course, on which rumor you believe).

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see Benedict Cumberbatch as James Bond.

9. Admiral_Young

I do as well...but unfortunately I also see him as a rising star. He'll have at least one more series of "Sherlock", I still kind of hope we see him in "Doctor Who" somehow as well, or the Moff will find something else for him :)

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Escalator stunt

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=10004&t=mi6&s=news

And a scene involving MI6

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Judi+Dench/Judi+Dench+Set+Skyfall/KccANF7Tqcj

11. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Woah. Looks like they're really pulling out all the stops for this one.

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I was in London on Sunday, okay, in Kensington and Chelsea mainly (there was a 45 minute queue to get into the Natural History Museum so we went into the Science Museum) and we didn't go anywhere near Vauxhall, if I'd known this was happening, we probably would have swung by to see the action taking place.

Apart from the obligatory weekend maintenance on the Underground, travelling around the city was pretty easy.

As for Cumberbatch being Bond, are you all taking leave of your senses or is it because he's cool in Sherlock you want to shoe horn him in other roles as well? One, he's not an action hero and two, his roles have been skewed towards the more intellectual types. For those who have seen him in Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy that's the type of character he would be best suited for in a Bond film, if "Q" hadn't been cast already, I'd say that would be a very good fit, but for Bond? No way.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I agree with both parts of this statement. And I agree also that a tv role isn't the same as a movie one for their purposes (the Saint/ Remington Steele).

There was talk that Hugh Jackman was approached in the past, but Wolverine is (nominally) part of an ensemble, not a hero in his own franchise. And the unshaven feral Canuck is different enough from the suave spy to have just about allowed him to play both.

I suspect that had Christian Bale not landed the part of Batman last time around, he would have headed the shortlist to replace Pierce Brosnan. But having been the Dark Knight, he was never going to be 007.

As for Cumberbatch as 007; well, I'm not seeing it, even if Craig has proved that an actor doesn't have to be conventionally tall dark and handsome, like Connery or Brosnan, to play the role. Cumberbatch did say in a recent interview that he'd love to play an action role and get himself in shape [I believe he's hitting the gym and the protein shakes for ST(1)2]. But he's still too gangly and offbeat to play Bond.

I don't think the next Bond will be one of the obvious choices like Fassbender or Hardy. My bet would be to start watching UK tv for an actor in his mid-20s over the next year or two.

14. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the talk going on that this mught be Judi Dench's last go as M, I wonder if this has something to do with it. That's too bad that it's getting that bad for her.

15. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Yeah you beat me to it (Huffington Post has a story on it). I can't see why she can't continue. Dana Elcar went blind from glaucoma yet continued to play his role in Macgyver and they even wrote his blindness into the story. Worst that could happen is we'd return to the "M gives orders from the office" scenario (though if you look back at the movies, from You Only Live Twice onwards, M goes into the the field a surprising number of times).

Alex

16. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^It may not be a situation of her not being able to continue, but rather just not wanting to. She's probably at a point where she's carved herself a pretty nice lifestyle and doesn't need to work anymore, so if health's becoming an issue and is making acting more of a hassle than it's really worth to her, I can see her just hanging it up and bowing out. It would certainly be too bad, but also understandable.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I do suspect the next Bond will be some guy we've never heard of, unless Craig does something shocking and bows out after SkyFall, which seems unlikely...

18. Admiral_Young

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

IMAX !

i liked the video (blog) EPK from Sam Mendes. thanks.

‘Skyfall’ First James Bond Film To Hit IMAX

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder when this IMAX fad will go away. It gives me headaches, it's unwatchable in the front row, and it adds nothing to the story.