F1 2014 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Lonemagpie, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well along with Alonso, Lewis is generally rated to be one of the best drivers on the grid.

But what has happened to Vettel this year, what is this year Ricciardo has beaten him 6/7 times when both cars have finished? Or is it siply a case he hasn't been able to adapt to these new spec cars as well as some of the other drivers.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

3. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fuck. Nico. Rosberg.

4. Ganja Tea

Ganja Tea Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't tell me you think he hit Hamilton on purpose because that's ridiculous.

5. Pingfah

No of course he didn't run into him on purpose. Easily avoidable accident though, completely his fault.

6. Ganja Tea

They're both fighting for the championship, I don't expect either to give the other an inch. Hamilton almost in tears though at the end almost had me rolling. Rosberg lives rent free in Hamiltons head at the moment. He might not be the better driver but he has made Hamilton his bitch in the mental aspect. He is totally mind fucking him. If he walked up to Hamilton at the start of the next race and whispered in his ear that he was going to take him out Hamilton would lose his shit. I live with a Hamilton fan and this season has been glorious. It's also awesome that Riccardo has been in the perfect spot to capitalize on this beef with the merc boys.

7. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rosberg is just poor at wheel-to-wheel racing and always has been (albeit not usually in a dangerous way like a Maldonado or a 2012 Grosjean),

I'm surprised the same thing didn't happen in Bahrain, Spain or Hungary. The 'oh I did it on purpose' thing is probably just to avoid admitting to his bosses that his racecraft sucks balls and that he doesn't deserve to have a top car.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The evidence seems to support the idea that Hamilton is a lot better at passing without causing damage than Roseberg. Also the idea of making any kind of risky pass in the second lap of the race suggests Rosberg's judgement is poor.

I don't know how much of it is posturing but Mercedes don't sound happy.

9. Pingfah

It has nothing to do with tight racing, it was a schoolboy move on the second lap that nearly took the whole team out of the race. There's no defending it, it has nothing to do with mind games, it was just plain poor racing.

10. Ganja Tea

What I ment by that was that I don't blame Rosberg for taking a shot. When it was clear he couldn't make the pass and tried to move back in he misjudged. That is certainly his bad but if the situation was reversed Hamilton would of done the same thing. As for the mind games that was in regards to Rosbergs comments in the team meeting. Hamilton while a very talented driver does not deal with his frustration and anger well. I can't wait to see how he implodes next race.

11. Pingfah

No, that's true. When he came out exclaiming that Rosberg had said he did it on purpose, well, that sort of thing makes him look hysterical.

Obviously Rosberg said something that could potentially be taken that way, but it's clear from the facts (and from common sense) that Rosberg is not going to deliberately take out his team mate using his own front wing. He stood as good a chance of ending his own race as Hamilton's.

12. Ganja Tea

I bet Mercedes is regretting that statement they made at the start of the season saying there'd be no team orders and that they'd let their boys race. Hamilton must be seething. This was his year. Mercedes pace is unmatched, Vettel can't come to grips with the car, Alonso is struggling because ferrari can't get their act together and when he should be dominating he's being screwed over by car problems or his less talented teammate.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I was on holiday so I didn't get to see the Belgium GP, I have since caught it and yes Rosberg made an error of judgement in his attempt to pass Lewis it was a clumsy move.

But whilst Rosberg has a 22 point after Monza, let's remember that Lewis still has 2 more retirements than Rosberg, Rosberg should have a far bigger lead but some stellar drives from Lewis such as Germany and Hungary have helped keep the points difference to what it is.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Whilst I do tend to agree with this latest FIA directive regarding banning communication to the drivers about performace during a race

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29161931
    Whiting writes that the FIA intends to "rigorously enforce this regulation with immediate effect. Therefore, no radio conversation from pit to driver may include any information that is related to the performance of the car or driver."

ne senior figure said that all the potential problems raised by the letter could be removed by changing the last clause to "any information related to the performance of the driver".

Which I think is the right way to go. i.e. you can't tell Driver A that they are slower than driver B in a particualr corner.

Not sure if they can enfore it though, teams might just use coded messages.

i.e. "Fernando is faster than you" translation be a good boy and move over and let him pass.

15. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bit harsh, and probably impossible to enforce, but at least it's a step in the right direction. The amount of micromanaging the drivers get from the pit wall these days is just ridiculous, almost like having two-way telemetry.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So if pit to car communication is banned what about car to car communication. Could they not just get the two cars to exchange communication and show on the LCD (for those that have them) where each car is performing better.

What about the pit board can they show something like

C3 -0.1 B10L

or translated Corner 3 -0.1 seconds Brake 10 metres later.

17. Pingfah

Race of the year on Sunday. LOVE Singapore.

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Anyone seen the Formula E opening race in Beijing? Apparently it was quite the spectacle.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Bzmu1ZIVs[/yt]

19. Pingfah

No, I forgot it was happening becasue it's on "the light channel". But it's on ITV Player, so I'll probably watch it this weekend.

Quite the lineup of F1 rejects they've got racing :lol:

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I love how Danny O'Dwyer called the race "Wipeout's origin story" :lol: