Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please, PLEASE let this screencap forever lay to rest the saucer rim debate. Look at the teeny tiny people in the windows.
    From Rihanna's "Sledgehammer" music video.
    [​IMG]

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

It should but you know it won't. :angel:

Ooh look full height windows and the dish edge is a lot more than 2 decks high, how about that I am shocked... shocked!

Not. :techman:

You know you will at some point be forced to do a blowup of the image with little arrows pointing to the people then someone else will say they are in fact oompah loompas.

Edit: I see what you did there. :lol:

Kruezerman and F. King Daniel like this.
  3. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Music videos are non-canon.

:angel:

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I just knew you were gonna say that. :beer:

F. King Daniel likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

Absolutely, irrefutably, the last word. I win. It's over. Go home, 300m people.
    [​IMG]

6. Cap.GRPrime1701

Cap.GRPrime1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So this confirms that the Enterprise is pretty damn massive?

7. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

We don't know what size those people are. It would actually make design sense to put any children way at the front in order to keep them as far away from the brewery as possible.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Heh--the TAS enterprise would have to be this large to hold its shuttlebay.

Just substitute 947 meters for feet.

Problem solved.

Call it a typo

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

725 meters it is then. And to think, they'll build something bigger to replace her.

Gonzo likes this.
  10. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gonzo and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well wouldn't the Beyond Connie be longer then 725 meters because the nacelles are further back?

The one in STO is from XI/STID

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those corridors look smaller then those in that one shot from
    into Darkness

13. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

It always was but a few were in deep denial over it.

I mean DEEEEP denial, it was confirmed by the designers years ago that it was 725m.

Some still could not accept it though, I personally think the new Enterprise looks great.

saddestmoon likes this.
  14. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

15. JHarper

JHarper Commander Red Shirt

Visual evidence can't melt fandom beams.

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

There.Are.Four. Lights!

17. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

Let me ask something directly to advocates of the big Enterprise:

[​IMG]

1). Do you accept that the Kelvin timeline is an alternate timeline spun directly from the Original Series franchise?

2). Given this, do you believe that there were starships prior to the Constitution class USS Enterprise, which were far bigger? (I.E. before the timeline split).

The reason I ask this is that we see several ships which appear to be contemporary in age to the USS Kelvin, such as:

[​IMG]

Now, I know they are never actually seen contemporary to the USS Kelvin, but generally, in Trekdom, it is taken for granted that vessels sharing the same type of warp nacelles are roughly contemporary.

So, if you answered yes to both of the above questions, there are two possibilities:

1). There existed ships MUCH MUCH larger than the Constitution class, decades prior to it's launch (which seemed to be Starfleet's premiere front-line starship and deep space explorer in TOS).

2). The new Enterprise is in fact on the smaller scale of around 300m.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    SpaceLama likes this.
  18. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

I can certainly see why Bernd Schnieder and all the other folk who like to analyse ships would not like this new size - basically, even the decades old support ships would be bigger than the Enterprise D - the saucer that the Enterprise dodges in orbit around Vulcan would be bigger than the Enterprise D's saucer.

To call people like him deluded and all those other things is hard to fathom - its more than just a stylistic opinion; the opinion is born of a fairly logical inference - i.e. "it is unlikely that ships far more huge than the original Constitution class existed decades before Kirk's era - and it is likely that the ships depicted around Vulcan were of the same generation as the USS Kelvin". The only other solution I can think of is that the new movies are just a complete reboot and not linked to the old franchise in any way.

Yes this also presents problems - but frankly, on Trek we have discounted evidence of scale before.

Longinus and SpaceLama like this.
  19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Why can't a premiere ship be smaller? Not really seeing a problem. :shrug:

20. F. King Daniel

Yep.

Yep. They built them bigger in those days. That doesn't make them more advanced.
    Is it that unbelievable that in one history, say, Admiral Marcus pushed for starships to continue getting larger and more aggressive whereas in another, Admiral Nogura wanted them smaller, sleeker and geared more towards exploration? One could argue the things the original Enterprise faced in TOS led to Starfleet Prime then taking a similar bigger/badder route with the USS Excelsior and her successors.
    I've got no problem with people saying that they think the new ship should be the same size as the original, and that they think they made a mistake in upscaling it. My issue is with people ignoring a mountain of visual evidence and the stated word and intent of the ship's designers because they think they know better.

Gonzo, JHarper, Kemaiku and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.