So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

I have to say...that as I move through The Case of the Colonist's Corpse, and as I think back to some of the other treklit I've read this summer....I am LOVING the expansion of the universe, a lot. Just in reviewing the books I have read this summer...two were Pike stories (Children of Kings and Burning Dreams) which explored a fairly ignored time period in trek history. Now, with Corpse, the book is awesomely peppered with tidbits and factoids from the TOS. I am enjoying a story which focuses so much on characters who only showed up in one episode. It is really well crafted and ....I wouldn't even call them 2ndary characters....the lower level canon characters are easily carrying this story....holding my interest. Just a day or so ago I finished KRAD's Enemy Territory and while that book was not as good as I had hoped, I can't say how impressed I am that editors, authors, and the Paramount folks have expanded the universe in so many waysl. I don't think I can get to them soon, but something tells me I will really enjoy the Seeker material coming out now, the Titan books, Vanguard....the expanded stories and settings more than satisfying.

Idran and Jinn like this.
  2. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jennifer Beckstrand's Sweet as Honey, book 1 in the Honeybee sisters novels. (Amish fiction)

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star trek Crisis of Consciousnes by Dave Galanter

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Next up for me will be "Captain to Captain". (Library hold finally came in.)

I want to read that. His Troublesome Minds was well done.

5. Reanok

Laura both books Troublesome Minds and Crisis of Consciouness are both well written stories I think you'll like Dave's second novel. It's really good I really the Spock storylines in both books.:bolian::) I highly recommend it.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As usual, everything I'm reading won't come out for year or so.

Just finished reading (and editing) DEADLANDS: BONEYARD by Seanan McGuire, an upcoming novel based on the DEADLANDS role-playing game.

borgboy and Idran like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crisis of Consiousness is not Dave Galanter's second novel, he's written a 11 Trek novels, novellas and short stories, many of them with Greg Brodeur, over 21 years.

With Greg Broduer:
    Foreign Foes (TNG novel, 1994)
    Battlelines (Voy novel, 1999)
    Maximum Warp books 1 and 2 (TNG novels, 2001)
    Ambush (SCE novella, 2001)

By himself:
    Bitter Medicine (SCE novella, 2004)
    Eleven Hours Out (TNG short story, 2004)
    The Leader (TOS short story, 2006)
    Shadows of the Idignant (TOS: Mere Anarchy novella, 2006)
    Troublesom Minds (TOS novel, 2009)
    Crisis of Consciousness (TOS novel, 2015)

8. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Second TOS full length alone.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished up The Thing Itself by Adam Roberts. It's got AI, Fermi Paradox, serial killer, some tentacles, and LOTS of philosophy . It's not good. 30 pages of interesting material and 250 of tediousness. I barely finished.

10. Vnix

Vnix Lieutenant Red Shirt

Mists of Avalon, can't say I never heard of it, have read it at least 20 times now. Great book!

11. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

About 30% through American Gods.

12. Starbreaker

Mechanical Failure by Joe Zieja. It's the debut novel from the voice of Spotify. A former sergeant gets involuntarily reenlisted in a future military just as a war is about to break out. It's absolutely hilarious. I haven't laughed out loud this hard at a book in a long time. I think Trek fans would absolutely love it. I'm about 35% though it. Kind of want to stay up all night and finish.

13. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Enterprise: By the Book
    The first time I read an Enterprise book and so far I really like it, especially Crewman [Ensign] Cutler.

14. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Captain to Captain is next on my list. :)

15. Reanok

Ditto I really liked the different stories arcs in this book. I liked seeing the crew members off duty playing the fantasy game in the messhall. Crewmen Cutler appears again in the Enterprise relaunch books by Christopher Bennett she's a science officer on T'Pol's ship.

Jinn likes this.
  16. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rules of Aquisition by Paula Block & Terry Erdmann at the moment

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just found out that there's a new biography of Bram Stoker coming out in October, by David Skal no less. I know what I'm going to be reading come Halloween.

(Skal has written several excellent non-fiction books on horror and vampire fiction.)

18. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Just finished it, I liked By the Book way better than most of Seasons 1-3 of Enterprise.

I'm looking forward to reading ROTF even more now.

19. Starbreaker

The Long Way To a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. It's a character driven book about a spaceship whose sole purpose is to travel across the galaxy and create wormholes for interstellar travel.

There is so much great science fiction out there that I had never heard of until reading some best of lists earlier this month. Baxter and Reynolds and Hamilton get all the attention, but there is so much more that's well received that barely gets a footnote on big retailer websites.

20. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Just finished the A Time To Series. It was better than I had been led to believe. There were some hit and miss things I didn't care for but overall pretty good. Someone told me to skip them, which I did, and I wish I had ignored that advice because when I began reading the re-launch I started with Destiny, which was a mistake. I got lost with all the new characters and situations. I'm just going to...begin again. Going to pick up the Titan books this time around too...

borgboy and Jinn like this.