MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't posted in this thread in a while but some thoughts on the Bay Area teams this spring training:

-Barry Bonds came in to teach hitting this week, and I don't care. If the Giants continue to swing at every single first pitch, then it really doesn't matter who comes in to teach hitting. I was watching the game last Saturday and it seemed like they were just swinging for everything. It's been this way for the last few years, almost to the point where the 2012 world series really was just catching lightning in a bottle.

-A's got some bad news yesterday with the injuries to AJ Griffan and Jerrod Parker. I predicted a A's/Dodgers world series, and I will still stay with that prediction, but when you have two of your key starters injured in Spring Training, that's not good.

-I hate the length of Spring Training. Start the season already, so maybe the World Series doesn't have to end in November or late October.

2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

You do realize it's still cold in the majority of cities where baseball is played

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I'm always happy to see Ser Barrold of House Bonds doing something in baseball, but holy shit, Keith Olbermann (who isn't exactly a stranger to being a horse's ass) got absolutely insufferable about this.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VckPhiyahf8[/yt]

Fuck's sake, Keith.

4. tomalak301

Yes, but it will still be cold in April so what difference does it make. This winter has just been odd for everyone. Heck, I think it's supposed to get into the 80s in the Bay Area today. Wish there was a Baseball game to go to.

5. tomalak301

Oh, Keith Olbermann got on his high horse again. Fuck that Douchebag and his show.

6. Timby

Every now and again he absolutely hits the nail on the head, but the vast majority of the time he's hammering his own foot and shouting about it. I love how he calls Bonds the worst scandal to baseball since the Black Sox. Jesus.

Edit: Holy shit, apparently exploding arms are contagious; both Medlen and Beachy are going in for their second Tommy John surgeries.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  7. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I think he hit the nail on the head this time.

8. Timby

Really? The biggest scandal in baseball's history was Barry fucking Bonds?

Wow, it's almost like collusion, cocaine being dealt in clubhouses, the strikes, Pete Rose and, oh, that little thing called institutionalized racism / segregation never happened.

9. Yanks

He DID mention the black sox... :devil:

And the Pete Rose thing wasn't that big, he's just an idiot.

..and racism/segregation was not unique to baseball... kind of hard to pin it all on them when they broke the barrier 1947... what, 20 years ahead of MLK's civil rights march? Seems like Baseball was leading they way.

10. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

:( "Damn Gina, Damn"

The offense will have to pick up. It's a tall order though.

11. Timby

John Dowd had damning evidence that Rose bet against the Reds, which is why Rose voluntarily took his lifetime ban instead of the full report going public. That's probably the most terrible thing you can do in baseball. There's a reason that's the one rule that's posted in every clubhouse, it's baseball's One Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Bet On Baseball.

That's not being an idiot, that's being a complete and utter shitbag doing damage to whatever is left of the game's "integrity."

It doesn't matter. Barry Bonds being a jackass doesn't hold a candle to it. "Leading the way" means fuck-all when Ruth never had to face some of the best pitching talent on the planet because of racism. That is the biggest problem in the history of baseball, not a guy who may or may not have taken steroids (particularly because there is no empirical proof of steroids enhancing performance).

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think his point about Rose is that Rose was one player. Steroids were on a much wider scale. I didn't hear the Olbermann thing so I'm not about to dive into it. I'm just commenting on the conversation here.

13. Timby

I linked to the Olbermann video on the previous page, in case you want to watch it. (It's terrible.)

As for steroids, I guess I'm just tired of baseball being up its own ass about it. There's no scientific evidence whatsoever proving that shooting Winstrol into your ass or whatever gives you a performance boost, and there never can be due to ethical reasons. But when Olbermann says shit like, "Your career, your character and your life have been weighed in the balance and found wanting," all I can do is roll my eyes at the sanctimony.

"A shame to this country," what the fuck? :lol:

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I agree with you there. He's a pompous ass (I almost wrote "pompass" and coined a new word apparently). I literally tuned in for five minutes of his first show, saw him basically doing his "worst person in the world" thing for Rex Ryan, and turned it back off. Perhaps that's part of why I don't feel like watching the video ;)

However, steroids were still a violation of the rules (and are sometimes illegal so whatever competitive advantage they might give are only for players willing to break the law). I think the advantages are more for player length and pitching rather than hitting, but that doesn't mean there's no advantage. But, if we're taking about all players, the actions of one player still can't really add up to the actions of that many players even if what he did was individually worse.

15. tomalak301

According to the Media, and Olbermann in general, Barry Bonds singlehandedly is responsible for Staroids in Baseball, he ruined the game, and no one else was involved. I don't doubt that Bonds took Steroids, but it's 2014 already, get over it. As to banning Bonds from the game for life, if you do that you might as well ban everyone for life too.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

A-Rod will be happy to hear this.

17. tomalak301

I'm sick and tired of A-Rod too, but I think we can assume he will pop up again next year when the suspension is done. Glad he dropped the lawsuit though.

18. Yanks

Jesus... Ells is already on the DL...

:guffaw::guffaw:

19. Timby

$153 million for a 30-year-old guy who has played in more than 140 games in a season precisely three times. [​IMG]

20. Yanks

We all know this and you act like money means something to the Yankees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.