Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Can't recall if I ever saw that story complete- can just remember watching the odd episode many years ago and hard the Dicks novelisation. at once point.

Do think that some of the Pertwee storeis get overlooked if not outright forgotten about. First I knew of the TIme Monster was the a clip in "More Than Thirty Years in The TARDIS": was familiar with the stories that came around it.

2. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The funny thing is, for me, the Seventh Doctor's overtalked darkness looks tame, to me, in comparison to Doctors 9-12. Those Doctor actually had the ball to destroy his own planet, and his people, to save the galaxy. So, the threats coming of off them are far more intimidating and serious because you know they are capable of doing this.

But besides that, this Doctor started off Troughton-ish before he realized that some things can't be done conventinally. The audios touch upon this, but it is still clear in this case. He's already far more serious in Dragonfire than in the three stories previous, so this Doctor was only going to continue being the anti-Five Doctor.

3. Emperor-Tiberius

To be honest, I always thought The Time Monster's underrated. Its not great, but its nowhere near the drivel its been made out to be. Even now, I can't get my head around convincing myself its terrible. I mean, it even has one of the best scenes in all of Doctor Who, so it can't be that bad.

I also don't get the love for Daemons. Its just like any other Master story in that season, and Terror of the Autons is much better. Also, The Gunfighters is pretty nice, even if they overdo that bloody song, and I always liked Arc of Infinity, which is seemingly despised by most fans.

4. Marc

Can't recall getting into the Daemons but I think of some of the praise it gets come more the "atmosphere" that was created than the actual story.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I like "The Daemons" okay, but what really frustrates me about it is how Jo is treated. I mean, it's Jo's selflessness and goodness that destroys Azal while the Doctor and UNIT are futilely mucking about with gargoyles and heat barriers. Meaning this is the one time in the classic series where the companion single-handedly saves the world. And she doesn't get a single thank you for it.

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rather like Time Monster, but I suspect it's significant that, aside from childhood memories, it's one of the four Pertwee stories I saw before the book came out (the other three also being favourites: Ambassadors, Inferno and Mind of Evil). Others disappointed in comparison with the added material of much reread books.

7. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Watched the tenth planet the other night.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I loathe the Virgin New Adventures, which probably isn't a surprise. Also, no NuWho Doctor, not even the 12th at his angriest, ever treated a companion like some lab animal. Even when Clara legitimately tried to murder The Doctor he still treated her like a friend. Heck, even the 9th treated Rose's boyfriends with a minimum of humanity if not much respect, and he didn't much like either of them.

The 7th Doctor is a villain, plain and simple. He's what would happen if The Master had a companion (and wasn't going to just kill them for some reason). Actually, he's more like if The Rani was a man and had a companion. He doesn't want to conquer like The Master, he just wants to do cold, emotionless experiments of questionably value and with no sense of morality getting in the way. Ace is not a person to him, she's something to play with and experiment on. He never cared about her, and if she had died he would have just found someone else. He's the incarnation thatdidn't deserve to be called The Doctor, not the War Doctor.

As for Season 24, its generally crap. Three of the four serials are atrocious. Delta & The Bannermen just happens to be the diamond in the pile of garbage, and the only really good portrayel of the 7th Doctor in my opinion.

Also, Timelash is The Caves of Androzani compared to The Greatest show in the Galaxy. I legitimately hate that story more then any one in Doctor Who.

I had absolutely no bias going into the 7th Doctor's run. Actually, I was very interested because he had a good reputation. The 6th Doctor had a bad reputation but I ended up loving his run, and I went right into the 7ths from there. I didn't start disliking the 7th Doctor Rememberance, which I like well enough as a story but I didn't really like his attitude. Then, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy made me actively dislike him, and Ghost Light cemented him as really the only Doctor I don't think was good (which wasn't McCoy's fault, I think he was a good actor and started out as a good Doctor).

My opinion on the 7th Doctor and his era is all from painful experience.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

On topic, I finished glancing through the rest of Frontier in Space. I really, really hate this story, and its sucks that it was Delgado's last appearance. Next up I think I'll be returning to the 5th Doctor's era with The Visitation.

10. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

The power of the daleks

11. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    As i said on GB, when was the first time the media picked up on female companions as sexual "for the Dads" objects? The Mind Robber where Zoe is reduced to tits and ass, must be a milestone.

12. Emperor-Tiberius

But it was for one story only, really. Peri was specifically "designed" to be an eye candy, from the start.

13. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True. There was also that ep of "Terminus" where Nyssa stood in a corridor and stripped down to her knackers basically because it was her last story so somebody somewhere thought, "Hey, I know, let's get her norks out before she goes."

14. Christopher

"Reduced?" Hardly. Yes, she gets a few cheesecake shots, but she's no less smart, canny, and capable in the story. Indeed, "The Mind Robber" gives her that great sequence where she uses judo to outfight a comic-strip superhero twice her size, more than 8 years before Leela came along. Zoe was in no way "reduced" or diminished by that story. She just happened to rock a sparkly catsuit in addition to being a kickass genius.

I think the notion of the female lead being there for sex appeal goes back to the beginning. Barbara was often put in the position of being an object of romantic or sexual interest by male characters in the stories, as well as being an implicit love interest for Ian. Susan and Vicki probably weren't meant to be lusted after, since they were played as teenagers, but Dodo came off a bit more mature, and Polly was clearly presented as sexy from the start.

15. The Four Doctor

Dodo's meant to be a teenager, too. That's one of the reasons Innes Lloyd gave Jackie Lane for sacking her - that the camera picked up that she was in her mid-twenties.

16. Christopher

Yeah, but an older teen, old enough to get into the nightclub in "The War Machines." One of the novels established her birth year as 1949, which would make her 16-17 during her time as a companion. We know that Vicki was probably 15 at the end of her tenure, since Troilus in "The Myth Makers" said he would be 17 on his next birthday and she said he was hardly any older than her. (He didn't specify how far away his next birthday was, so if she'd been 16, she would've probably said they were the same age.) So there's a trend upward in age from Susan/Vicki to Dodo to Polly (who's employed as a secretary so is definitely an adult).

17. Marc

sacked or simply didn't renew her contract? I've read that her contract expired part way through the production of the final story she appeared in hence why she feel asleep on a bench and was never seen again.

Though iif she was actually sacked for looking older that was a pretty spurious reason given that Carol-Anne Ford was 20 when the first appeared and yet Susan was supposed to be 15 and I can't say she really looked it (Ford has told of how William Hartnell tended to forget she was only playing 15).

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Considering Tom Baker really is a space alien, I'm OK with that. His instincts for the Doctor were always bang on.

Most Doctors have at least 1 story that I don't think is very good. Not so with Pertwee. Even some of his weaker stuff like "The Mutants" & "The Time Monster" is still thoroughly watchable.

"The chap with the wings there. Five rounds rapid." 'Nuff said! :D

I was at an antique store yesterday and I bought a small wooden facade that says "Last Chance Saloon" on it. It's just about the perfect size to be the backdrop for my Titans 3-inch vinyl figurines.

19. Marc

A line that was riff'ed in the novel "No Future" in reference to a former Beatle and his mid 70s band :)

20. The Four Doctor

I always thought that the Time Monster would have been funnier if Benton had been turned into a baby girl and the final scene had John Levene emerging from the tattered remains of a baby dress.