What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons, by Lawrence Block. Now I have to read I Love You More Than My Dog for work.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

A Wind in the Night (Barb & J.C. Hendee)
    Lord of the Rings (Yes, I know, should done it sooner)

3. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

Nietzsche - The Will To Power
    Within that mind set I also am looking thru: A Course In Miracles and refuting every sentence or two ... there seems to be two kinds of people one kind thinks everything is a miracle and the other kind think everything is a problem: this leaves us to draw a line between the right and the wrong. I am not one to put lines in the sand, anymore.

I have the books but there is the posted on line version of both

http://stobblehouse.com/text/ACIM.pdf
    http://evankozierachi.com/uploads/Nietzsche_-_The_Will_To_Power_-_Trans_Kaufmann.pdf

4. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I plan to spread my reading of the Preston/Child books out, I will probably only read 3 or 4 a year. I plan to read Thunderhead next, even though Pendergast doesn't appear in it, as I am keen to know about how Smithback met Nora Kelly.

5. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I've read only one so far. Which ones would you particularly recommend?

6. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

The new Discworld, Raising Steam, one of the best, IMO

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

8. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry on the slow response. You more of an original trilogy or prequel fan?

I'd start with the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy), set a few years after ROTJ. I was always a SW nut, but these were the first expanded universe ones I read. I've read a bunch of the books over the years, but due to a finite bookcase, gave many of them to a book drop after I read them. These I kept. Actually got started on these when my mom brought me home the first one after they ripped the cover off it (what they do in at least the US if a book doesn't sell during its allotted shelf life) and was hooked.

Lately, I've been reading the ones by James Luceno. I like his style. First one I read was "Darth Plagueis" which preceeds the prequels. Basically the story of Palpatine's rise and how the Sith end up pulling all the strings behind the scenes in the leadup to Episode I. His books seem to range all over the SW timeline, so pick the era you're feeling that day.

Currently, I'm reading "9 Dragons" by Michael Connelly. Part of the Harry Bosch series, a homicide detective in Los Angeles. Grim, graphic, procedural books akin to the "Law & Order" shows. Been into cop mysteries lately for some odd reason. Probably because my brain doesn't tick that way and I'm too stupid to figure out the killer until I actually read it.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

A hardcover compilation of "Hyperbole and a Half."

10. Miss Chicken

Just finished listening to Thunderhead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I thought that I wouldn't like it as much as the previous books by these authors but,even without the presence of Agent Pendergast in the novel, I really enjoyed it.

I am about to start reading Hood by Stephen Lawhead on my Kindle and I am still working through the dead tree version of The Lost World of Socatra and I am trying to choose what audio books to listen to next. My choices are

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
    Maze Runner by James Dashner
    The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks
    Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil by Donald Thomas

11. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My son adored this book.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat is really, really good.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Is that a Bernie Bernie Rhodenbarr novel? Is it a new one? To be honest I’ve kinda lost track of which Block novels I’ve read and which I haven’t! Always more of a Matt Scudder fan than anything else but Bernie is fun.

Currently reading The Good the Bad and the Multiplex by Mark Kermode which is a lot of fun.

13. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The new Bernie Rhodenbarr came out at Christmas and is called The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons. Block self-published it, so I don't know how available it is, but you can definitely get it for the Kindle.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Cool, will have a look for that. Last one of his I read was "Getting Off" last year.

15. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've started reading "The Art of Falling" by Kathryn Craft. It's really good so far.

16. Miss Chicken

I finished listening to Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil by Donald Thomas on my iPad.

Of the five stories in this book I would only rate one, The King's Evil as good (3/5). Two of the stories I would only rate as 1.5/5 each and the other two at 2.5/5.

While reading the first story (The Case of the Tell-tale Hands) I begin to think "I have read this before" because the story was so familar. After a while I realised why - the author had taken an Oscar Wilde's short story (Arthur Savile's Crime) and rewrite it by plopping Holmes and Watson down into it, The orginal Wilde story was much better.

Listening to The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks next.

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Russian Refugees in France and the United States between the World Wars, by James E. Hassell.

Fascinating, but reading 97 pages on JSTOR's klutzy beta online reader was a real… hassell. ;)

18. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

So, I finished Encounter with Tiber by Buzz Aldrin and John Barnes last night. Wow! I enjoyed it all the way through and felt it was one of the most compelling sci-fi stories I've read, and I've read a lot. This one easily became one of my all-time favourites. I haven't felt this moved by a sci-fi story in some time.

19. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

I just started Ulysses by James Joyce

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That always reminds me of "Camp Granada." :rommie: