Rewatching the MCU

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by BigJake, Jan 21, 2015.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It really is just a matter of overkill. I love their enthusiasm and that they have faith in the franchise. I just wish they'd settle down a bit.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

If you seperate the movies as their franchises you can see there's plenty of time between the movies. The first Iron Man movie came out in 2008, the second in 2010 and the third in 2013, the first Thor movie came out in 2011, the second in 2013 and the third is slated for 2017. I'm sure Disney would like to link all of the movies together but I do think the different characters have their set of fans.

3. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I'd say the current superhero movie trend kicked-off with X-men, it brought an element of realism to the genre that wasn't present in the more "comic-book" worlds of Burton/Schumacher Batmen.

I think the MCU will be fine for a while, as the variety of characters allows them to make films that can fit into other genres: Captain America has become more of a Borne/spy-thriller, GotG a silly space opera, Dr. Strange a magic/fantasy film, etc.

And while DC has bungled it's superhero movies, it seems to be doing OK on TV with Arrow, Flash and Gotham, of which I've heard much better things than Agents of Shield.

4. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Cool thread, BigJake! I like it. I enjoy discussing the MCU.

I love this movie. A+ for me. Cap has been my favorite for a long time, maybe 40 years, and this movie is almost perfect for me. I know some people complained about the montages, but they covered a lot of ground. The don't really spell it out, but I think it must cover at least 3 years, maybe more. I really can't think of any complaints and hasn't aged for me at all.

When I think back to those other previous Captain America movies, *shudder* well, I'm happy they got him right finally.

Again, like this just as much as the first time, A.

I think you're right about Loki not being a great villian per say, because despite this being a "superhero" film, I don't really see any villian here. It's a family squabble. If you argue with your brother, is he the villian and you the hero? It's a character piece with some political ramifications thrown in, especially regarding the possible war between Jotunheim and Asgard. Idris Elba was great. Kat Dennings was great. Natalie Portman is a block of wood, but isn't she always? (In everything I've seen her in, yes)

My complaints in this one are: No one thinks to take the Destroyer back to Asgard, really? I just don't like how Hogun the Grim is portrayed. He was always the strongest and most deadly of the Three, and he isn't grim enough. Hogun has been a lot of bad places and fought a lot of bad things. It may not be an interesting character that way, but he's really never meant to be more than a supporting character, being perpetually part of a trio of second bananas as it is. But that one mischaracterization aside, everyone else is quite good.

Thor saving Jotunheim probably has a lot more with setting the nine realms into chaos with the destruction of one of them than any concern for the Jotuns. And I still think there's a big difference between smashing up a bunch of Jotun warriors and killing every last one of the filthy bastards. Maybe there are good giants somewhere? That was about stopping Loki, not saving them.

Again, hasn't aged, Love it. A.

Why would it only veer into annoying territory how Stark acts. It jumps into a truck and plows right through it, that's how he is. Tony does occasional heroic things inbetween being annoying, and I think that was Cap's whole point when they were arguing.

I just don't know what possible suspense there really could be. The movie is named Avengers. There are Avengers in it. Did anyone really think they could lose? Oh, look the Avengers came together to save the world but lost and now we're a client of the Chitari Empire with Loki as our military govenor. Don't blame me I voted for Kodos. My understanding was this all was some ploy for Loki to get home to Asgard and Earth was just a step in that plan and he didn't give a shit about the Chitauri or Thanos.

That cage was meant to hold the Hulk. I don't think it would have kept him in, and it didn't, but then I think he didn't want to be dropped out of the carrier, didn't work out, though.

I think the only one who needed a kick in the ass is Tony, the afforemention annoying ass. Cap was on board, Thor was ready to help. Widow and Hawk are Shield, though Hawk was brainwashed most of the movie, and Banner is just a wild card. Coulson's death wasn't to get anyone moving as much as to show Loki has a callous disregard for human life. Black Widow's "red in her ledger" is clearly (partially) stated by Loki who comes off with a great line, you mewling quim! Ha! Drakov's daughter, sao paulo, the hospital fire, apparently she's murdered/assassinated a shit load of people. Now she thinks she's making up for it. True or not, you be the judge, Coulson's not even on the radar. I'm not sure why Banner came back, maybe it's because for the first time he's around people that talk to him rather than treat him as a monster. He knows what Loki is up to and where would he hide? Maybe he thought he could make a difference and actually make good use of being the Hulk instead of it being a burden on mankind.

Btw, BigJake, not saying you're wrong, I just hold a different opinion. You rank it what you like. I'm just happy because my 3 favorite comic characters are in order, Captain America, Thor and Iron Man and I'm having too damn much fun too seriously bitch about anything yet. Lot of people love Superham or Batpest or even Spidey, I do like Spidey, but I haven't seen his last two movies. I don't think I'll have superhero fatigue until "Marvel" stops making good movies. Sony is already hasn't done well for a while (Galactus is a giant fart cloud?) and Fox is pot luck also.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  5. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for your post!