Questions to the authors

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by voyager1, Jul 18, 2014.

1. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1. Is there a particular franchise you have found easier to work/write? (example DS9 vs TNG)

2. How long does it take you to write a trek novel?

3. Is it hard writing multiple book arcs that involve other authors?

4. Which title that you wrote you most proud of?

Thanks in advance!

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

1. I've written for every flavor except Enterprise, but I grew up on TOS so that's still my first love--and the series I rewatch most often.

2. A couple of months, ideally.

3. I've managed to avoid that so far, mostly by sticking to TOS. :)

4. It's hard to pick favorites, but I'm particularly proud of the Khan books.

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

1. Vanguard was my favorite while it was running; now I'm enjoying Seekers (both are TOS era).

2. It varies. Usually anywhere from 8-10 weeks.

3. Yes. It's always more difficult to maintain continuity when more than one person is separately executing segments of a multipart story.

4. For now, the Star Trek Destiny trilogy. But Vanguard: Reap the Whirlwind comes in a very close second.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm generally happiest working in the unexplored spaces -- spinoff series, sequels, things that let me develop original characters and ideas. What's easiest for me is writing an idea that inspires and intrigues me.

I usually try to allocate myself at least 6 months, but I tend to end up squandering much of it and having to rush in the last 2-3 months.

It's challenging, but it can be a lot of fun. I'd be happy to be part of another group project like Mere Anarchy.

Of my Trek work, I'd say it's a tossup between Ex Machina, Orion's Hounds, The Buried Age, and Watching the Clock. I'm not very good at picking favorites.

5. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

1. The books featuring Klag and the I.K.S. Gorkon crew. I could write those stories in my sleep....

2. As long as they give me. I've done a book in as little as three weeks and as long as six months, and any span between those two.

3. Not generally. Hell, I consider the collaborative nature of the A Time to... series one of the reasons why it was so successful, and the collaborative nature of the S.C.E. series was also part of why the series worked so well, and why I think so many writers enjoyed working on it.

4. Oooh, toughie. Possibly Articles of the Federation, given how much influence that book had on 24th-century fiction going forward, possibly The Art of the Impossible, simply because I still think it's the best novel (of any kind) that I've written, possibly the Worf/Spock mind-meld scenes in The Brave and the Bold Book 2.