Does nu-Trek exclude Enterprise too?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by YARN, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There are actually far, far more timelines in Star Trek than just these three. So where does one draw the line?

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

"HERE! NO FURTHER!" :scream:

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Am I misremembering, or is the first scene where Seven mentions the Borg incursion in VOY played as if the other characters have no idea what she's talking about? Could it be that Seven has got 'race memories' of the Borg incursion timeline, which none of the Starfleet personel recognise because they're all still part of an older order of things, pre-timeline change?

I've always thought it significant that nobody in the Prime universe ever mentioned the NX-01 or any of her crew until Nemesis came along. Almost as if it hadn't existed at all... ;)

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Its fiction. Whatever the writers say is included is included. Especially more true when we are talking time travel and its "logic".

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Ding! :techman:

6. Dick Whitman

I been thinking of posting this someplace I guess it fits in this thread.

Fictional Continuity is an illusion. A magic trick. If you look at it from a certain angle it seems believable. But any rational person knows that the illusionist is not realy floating on the stage, etc. Its fake. Its a facade. Of course if you start analyzing closely it like its real life its going to look phoney. Because it always has been phoney. Not just Time Travel but Star Trek in general.

7. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

One doesn't, I suppose.

I agree that there are infinitely more timelines. What is the Mirror Universe but an alternate timeline. :)

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Remember the MST3K mantra, "Repeat to yourself it's just a show, I really should relax."

Based on the Admiral Archer line, NX-01 was in their past and Archer apparently lived to see the 1701 launched. So that was probably him who lost his prized beagle. Poor guy.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

A comforting lie told to protect you.

10. Dick Whitman

My point is that not a bad thing. This is fiction not archaeology. People are entitled to dislike inconsistencies. But they are probably ignoring them in something else they do like.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I know and agree. I just can't hear "...is an illusion" without hearing Benedict Cumberbatch's voice from the Into Darkness teaser.:)

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are currently no plans for another DTI book. This does not mean there will never be another one, but there is no guarantee of another one either.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

No.

...and this is part of why not.

14. Dick Whitman

I just watched the movie again after a few years. Something that really struck me and also did on first viewing was how quickly the Enterprise crew accept that older Spock and Nero are from the future.

The very idea of time travel being possible they do not really question much. While the movie was seemingly geared to new audiences this is an aspect that felt like it was build on preconceived notions of Star Trek. A big one is that Time Travel is possible.

This alone could be sign of ENT being their past. Even if the Temorpal Cold War was not widley know or believed by the 23rd Century, Time Travel as being possible would have been more seriously considered than it was in Archer's time. Where Vulcan's completely denied it.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk didn't believe Spock was from the future until after the mind-meld, and Nero never told anyone. Although a deleted scene did feature a Klingon who figured it out about Nero.

16. Dick Whitman

Before Kirk even meets older Spock, Spock is suggesting to the crew his speculation that Nero's advanced tech is because he is from the future. The galaxy is filled with an endless number of species the Federation had never met and have no idea of the tech they would have. Its surprising that seeing advanced tech Spock would think it needs to be from the future.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They is why a clean reboot instead of some loose end tying to the other universe would've been preferable. It's bad enough to take an old deck, shuffle the cards and sell it as a new game, but keeping the connection to the "prime" universe just really undermines it.

18. Dick Whitman

Even outside of Star Trek, I think almost all recent Reboots are partially dependent of knowledge of the previous versions. Written with many core concepts not explained because the properties are so well known. So it was to Star Trek's advantage to actually be upfront with that and have a connection to it past.

19. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Ah, right. It's a single timeline time travel set-up with a multiple timeline set-up.

In this case, it would seem that there is, at least, a vague causal connection with TNG via Enterprise, since Enterprise was a single timeline story which shot through the entire history of Trek up through the Enterprise J.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought the Enterprise-J timeline ceased to exist once the Sphere Builders were defeated?