RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,448
Members: 25,787
Currently online: 417
Newest member: Freezy

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 14 2015, 12:28 AM   #1741
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

mythme wrote: View Post
I'm befuddled with the BBC's decisions. I know its all about money and sales, but why do stories like "The Underwater Menance" get two animations, while "Web Of Fear", which is arguably the better story with only one missing episode, only gets a telesnap (and no extra). Meanwhile, others like "The Crusade", another goodie which is also missing two, seem to be completely ignored.

I guess I shouldn't complain. I'll take whatever they give us. But since they have all these telesnaps and the complete soundtracks for all episodes, why didn't they reconstruct all of them that way for the "Lost In Time" collections? I would like to at least be familiar with the stories like "The Dalek's Master Plan" and "Evil of the Daleks"
Honestly, I wasn't crazy about any of the animations other than "The Invasion." I actually preferred the telesnap recon on "The Web of Fear."
Old May 14 2015, 05:22 AM   #1742
Lakenheath 72
Lieutenant Commander

I don't like the animations. I liked the narration with telesnaps.
Lakenheath 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2015, 07:15 AM   #1743
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I vastly prefer animation over telesnaps. Hell, its a TV show, not a sideshow. Its either a full-on audio story, or a TV story.

I hope, if they truly never, ever find any other episode, they'll employ decent animation to present the rest of the missing episodes.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2015, 01:05 PM   #1744
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Most of the animation of Missing Episodes is Sub-par, but, I generally prefer the Animation to the Recons. The one exceptions is The Tenth Planet episode 4, which has such a good Telesnap recon (The Telesnaps moving changing very often), that I barely notice it's a recon, rather than an existing episode, so, in this specific case, I do prefer the Recon.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2015, 01:44 PM   #1745
The Wormhole
Admiral

I enjoy the animated reconstructions, even if they mostly look similar to Adult Swim flash animation shows.
Old May 16 2015, 01:44 AM   #1746
Candlelight
Admiral

I don't normally bother watching the animations. I thought the Reign of Terror and Tenth Planet ones were well done but the rest were average to poor.

I'd rather listen to the audio recordings again.
Old May 28 2015, 03:38 AM   #1747
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Candlelight wrote: View Post
I don't normally bother watching the animations. I thought the Reign of Terror and Tenth Planet ones were well done but the rest were average to poor.

See, those were my least favorite animations. I didn't like those attempts at some kind of 3D realism. They really backfired in "The Reign of Terror." Barbara looked hideous. Susan's neck looked enormous. And Ian looked unrecognizable. And everyone had such deep shadows under their lower lips that it looked like they all had soul patches.
Old May 28 2015, 10:52 AM   #1748
Candlelight
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post

See, those were my least favorite animations. I didn't like those attempts at some kind of 3D realism. They really backfired in "The Reign of Terror." Barbara looked hideous. Susan's neck looked enormous. And Ian looked unrecognizable. And everyone had such deep shadows under their lower lips that it looked like they all had soul patches.
But at least they tried to realism. The animation for The Invasion looked like a poor Nickelodeon cartoon.
Old May 28 2015, 10:58 AM   #1749
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Please. The Invasion animation looks great. Visual dis-continuity aside with Zoe's clothing in the first episode, the episodes animated actually improve the narrative.

Reign of Terror's animationis a unprincipled mess. Literally ruins the flow. I lament the Levine-sided animation team didn't get to present their Reign of Terror animation properly.

Tenth Planet is OK, I suppose.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2015, 12:26 PM   #1750
StCoop
Commodore

Let's not forget that the budget for doing those animations was a fraction of what people would normally spend to produce an episode of a TV show.

And the reason there haven't been any more or a release for ready-to-go TUM is pure economics. Unlike the rest of the BBC these releases have to make a profit and with the DVD market they way it is that's unlikely. We're living in a world where even current shows are no longer getting released (The Simpsons!) or if they were getting a Blu-Ray and DVD release now only get a DVD one (too many to list). So half-missing black and white shows from 50 years ago...

The other problem is that with Dan Hall having moved on from BBC Worldwide there apparently isn't anyone there now who sees any point in making any effort with Classic Series material. So we get stuff like this, where the non New Series episodes are a "Bonus Feature".
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote