Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Finally got to read Avengers Academy 28-- part two of "War With The Runaways". "War" was a bit of an over-statement here. It was more like "a quickly resolved disagreement with The Runaways", but I enjoyed it anyway as I love the Runaways and Christos Gage nailed all of their voices. As there were definitely seeds planted for future stories with The Runaways, I hope to see them appear here again. I loved this exchange between Victor and Pym--

Looking forward to next issue's AvX crossover. Given the covers for AA29 and 31, it appears that the Academy students siding with the Runaways over Pym and Tigra in this issue may just be a bit of foreshadowing for what's to come in AvX.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They talk about him being a master thief.

But I just don't see Gambit getting past any sort of technology invented after 1970.

Unless, you know, he's never mentioned his years at MIT where he studied electrical engineering and computer science?

4. Admiral_Young

Yeah, it's possible this is going to be a series that brings Remy back to it's roots. It will be nice to see him doing something relevant, he hasn't been that to me in a few years.

5. Guy Gardener

The thing about his roots.

'Katrina"

He goes back to his old home town, and it's gone.

The shanties and tenements he was raised in got washed away.

Remy doesn't have a home to go home to.

i mean seriously ater metropolis got infected witht he B13 Virus and was suddenly overnight a 30th century city... What the fuck was crime suppposed to do about how every thing had left them behind...

Ditto with New Orleans.

6. Admiral_Young

That wouldn't actually be that bad of a story actually.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's happened. Marvel has confirmed the project that would mean, according to Joe Q, that the company is "officially out of ideas." As rumored, Spider-Men is a 616/Ultimate Universe crossover.

8. Guy Gardener

It's sort of pointless what with ultimate Peter being ultimate dead.

9. Admiral_Young

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

latest Fantastic Four and Winter Soldier were pretty good. haven't had time to read anything else from this week yet.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

If he is right, then the chances of Fraction being Bendis's replacement on Avengers just went up.

12. Admiral_Young

I thought you stated a few pages ago that Hickman was the replacement on "Avengers", in fact I believe you implied two writers...so Hickman and Fraction?

13. Turtletrekker

Avenging Spider-Man 6-- A nice set-up for the crossover, but that's what it is--set-up. We meet all of our protagonist characters, discover the motivations for each, and put a plan into action. To be continued...

Fantastic Four 605-- Another winner from Hickman. A done-in-one with Reed and Nathanial taking a road trip through time, and Reed learns another lesson in appreciating friends and family while you can.

Journey Into Mystery 636-- The conclusion of the "The Terrorism Myth". CBR has this book up for nomination for "Best New Series of 2011" (An odd honor for book in its 630's, but I digress...) Other Marvel nominees include Daredevil, FF, Wolverine and the X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man. Worthy nominees all, but JiM is by far the least appreciated of those nominated. I've been surprised at how fun and charming the adventures of 'lil Loki have been. If you haven't been following JiM, this really is one you should catch up with in trade. I think you'll be surprised.

New Avengers 24-- Despite being labled as an AvX crossover, this issue really has very little to do with AvX. It's mostly a Luke and Jessica issue, with Jessica having second thoughts about being an Avenger while raising a child. NA is a book I buy anyway, and I like Luke and Jessica, so I didn't really mind so much. However, if you're looking for any progress or revelations in the AvX storyline, this one will be a disappointment.

Winter Soldier 4-- Bucky teams up with Dr. Doom in order to avoid Doom being framed for an international incident. "Team-up" is a bit of an over-statement as Bucky is largely just along for the ride in this issue as Doom kicks all of the appropriate asses. Looking forward to next month's conclusion.

Avengers Assemble 2-- This book should be really good, but it really isn't. The creative team and the Avengers team are both top-notch, but the story here is bland and the villains uninteresting. Disasppointing.

Uncanny X-Men 10-- A fun finale to the final team-up between X-Men and Avengers before AvX. I felt that Captain America's rebuke to Cyclops at the end was undeserved. It's not as if Cyke took his team off to do something totally unrelated, they were still going after an escapee from The Peak, and were conducting a rescue of their own at the same time. Maybe if the story had gone its originally planned 3 issues, there could have been more context supplied.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes I believe Hickman is the likely choice.

But if Fraction is writing Hawkeye, then the chances of him being Bendis's replacement goes up significantly.

15. Admiral_Young

Fair enough...I'd be less excited for Fraction on "Avengers" than Hickman.

16. Turtletrekker

Newsarama gives both Fantastic Four 605 and Avenging Spider-Man 6 10 out of 10 reviews. :)

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Avenging Spidey was good...but it wasn't that good.

18. Turtletrekker

Yeah, like I said, It felt to me mostly like set-up and introductions leading to the main event. Although, I can't bring myself to really disagree with anything else said in the review. I probably would have given it an 8 out of 10, myself.

However, I DO agree on how good Fantastic Four 605 was. Just wonderful. :)

19. Admiral_Young

It always is! :) I'll have a proper review in a bit. Just about to get around to it.

20. Guy Gardener

I'm revelling in... Realing the disturbing fact that not only is Luke cage an Avenger but he's THE Avenger... MR. Avenger.

I honestly feel like I've gone to sleep for 20 years and woken up into a weird nightmare version of reality. By rights I have to get back to the present some how and stop this form happening!

Was mocking bird flirting with Spider-Man in new Avengers 24?

I mean, her frakking husband has been playing kissing face with a spider, so proportional retaliation insists that she has to take a Spider to the mat too.