Things you liked about voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by KaraBear, Aug 19, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very true but I find it wonderfully rewatchable. It's like how you keep discovering new yumminess in your favorite ever food. That's my way of dealing with only having one season.

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I really liked the design of the ship and the sets.

There were also some good characters in the mix as well:
    Janeway - I liked her from the start, showing herself to be very smart and strong, whilst also with a vulnerable side.
    Tuvok - Probably my favourite Vulcan, and good to see one who wasn't a scientist.
    Torres - Loved her from the start, the fact she hated half of herself was something that was very interesting.
    Kes - She was sweet and innocent but with a strength deep inside her as well.
    Seska - A great villan for the crew, though its a shame they didn't keep her onboard to ramp up the tension.
    Icheb - Of all the liberated Borg I liked him the most, he was almost the perpetual awkward teenager.
    Carey - A family man who showed he would do almost anything to get home, just a pity what happened to him.

There were also some interesting species along the way, I especially liked the Vidiians, how their entire culture and society was destroyed by the Phage.

3. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I agree, and now i'm going to buying myself a cake and watch Firefly. :)

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting, Seven of Nine and River Tam ought to be comparable characters, their physiologies and psychologies having been altered. However, I never had difficulty believing that Seven was so strong, physically and mentally, because of the actress' performance. River Tam required a complicated backstory before it even began to make sense, let alone became believable.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They are different in that River is the vulnerable girl child with kick ass killing ability but 7 is a strapping blonde who works hard to hide her vulnerability. When 7 breaks down and becomes emotionally weak it's a huge deal (was it in One she was sitting, knees drawn up, a quivering mess?) whereas with River she is always like that.

Not that I don't sympathize with River because of her backstory but she was never interesting to me like 7 was.

6. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I watched it but didn't really like it

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    My main question is if this show is so awesome like everyone says, how come it only lasted one season? :p

8. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

From what I've heard they say the network F'ed with it a lot. And I do love Joss whedon, but I didn't like the show much. The characters were good, but it was too much of a western for me. If you like westerns you'd probably like the show

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seven was an 8 year old pretending she was wearing big girl pants.

10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

For me the best thing was the ship- not a perfect design but they did so much with it- it landed on planets, people walked along it's hull, it had pieces ripped from it and lastly got bat-armor. The interiors looked functional and modern, a nice practical bridge and the shuttlebay could repair and build a new ship.
    The SFX of the Voyager flying around in different environments was amazing- the show was bridging between actual models and CGI and they mixed the two well. BTW- easiest way to tell the difference is the CGI version has the windows in the fantail extension of the shuttlebay lit- they could not fit bulbs in there with the filming miniature.

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

River would kick Seven's ass all across the 'verse.

She was a far more interesting and multi-faceted character.

12. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Because Fox fucked with it. It wasn't advertised, it was a serial shown out of order, you never knew when it would be on because they changed the scheduling week after week.

It really is much better watched in order on the DVD.

13. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

even having watched it in order on dvd I didn't care for it too much. I liked the movie though

14. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I haven't watched Firefly yet either and while I will get around to it eventually I feel like maybe I've waited too long, there's no way it can live up to the hype at this point.

15. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think that's a big problem with th show. It wasn't bad, not my cup of tea. but everyone is so OMG ITS THE BEST EVER that you'r expecting somthing epic which it's not

16. R. Star

Eight year olds don't have a figure like that.

17. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

you could say that mentally Seven was 9 years old when she was first severed from the collective. She was assimilated at 9 and her social development stopped there.

18. R. Star

Her social development was lacking. The word irrelevant would be applied to such things most of her life. But her physical strength and intelligence were off the scale. Even if that knowledge was often lacking wisdom behind it. It's still not fair to label her as a child or treat her like one as Janeway so often did.

19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

She was a perfectly well-behaved Borg. Her social missteps were not immaturity, but cross-cultural misunderstanding.

20. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think, at least more in the beginning, she treated her as a potential threat. Seven was unpredictable. She decked harry and tried to contact the borg, she beamed over the injured 8472 to the hirogen, she woke up those guys in Dragon's teeth...she took it upon herself to do those things, occasionally going against an order