Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It'd be a shame if the Tartakovsky Clone Wars stories were decanonized and jettisoned. There might well be some glaring discrepancies in continuity if one lined up the old episodes from a decade ago alongside the Cartoon Network/Netflix stories but there were characters and aspects of Tartakovsky's work that I remain fond of to this day. The bounty hunter Durge, for one, whom I believe would have made a fine addition to the roster of recurring villains in the Filoni series.

It's true that the old series doesn't feature Ahsoka nor other longstanding, familiar elements that helped make the more recent show so popular and highly regarded, but right now I imagine it's all up in the air along with much of the EU that's being scrutinized for inclusion in or exclusion from what will be the new, official, Disney-approved canon.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know didn't Anakin already seem to know her in Hidden Enemy which was her earliest appearance in TCW.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Maybe. Like I said, I'm not sure.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

There's also the matter that the microseries contradicts the same events depicted in the Labyrinth of Evil novel. And the fact that characters in the microseries had god-like super powers :lol:

I absolutely loved the micro-series. I'm definitely going to rewatch it when I finish my Clone Wars rewatch!

5. Christopher

Is that relevant? Despite what Lucasfilm claimed, it's been clear ever since the prequels came out that the books aren't actually canonical. I thought the question on the table was whether the two TV series were compatible.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

As far as I can tell, you can pretty neatly fit the entirety of TCW between this scene and the one that follows it.

The only possible inconsistency I can think of is the design of Anakin's artificial hand, but I'm pretty sure we never really see it in TCW sans glove anyway.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

On another website I once got in serious trouble for pointing out that AOTC retconned Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Good times.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've been powering through this show since Netflix added it, and I'm already in the beginning of Season 5. One thing that keeps bugging me, though, is how futile it all is. I'm watching this thing rooting for Jedi and the Republic, but at the same time, I know that they're going to lose. Not just that, but the whole show is about Republic vs. Separatists...both of which are being led by the same damn person!

I wonder how I'd feel if all these Star Wars adventures had been made in chronological order. How shocked would we all be if we didn't know going in that Palpatine and Sidious were one in the same?

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The novels are canon... until they're contradicted by filmed materials ;)

I believe Tales of the Bounty Hunters is canon except for the Boba Fett story obviously, which has been retconned as being a false rumor about Boba or something.

10. Christopher

Which is the definition of "not canon."

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I once tried to start reading the EU novels again... And then stopped at a scene when Luke was enjoying a mug of some ancient drink known as "hot chocolate". May have been cute in the early 90s, but nowadays it just pulled me right out of the narrative. I'm sure there are plenty of enjoyable EU novels (I for one really liked the early X-Wing books), but they're in the same boat as most any visual media franchise's literary works: optional.

Mark

12. Christopher

I don't see how hot chocolate existing in the distant past of a distant galaxy is any more unbelievable than humans named Luke and Ben existing therein.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

...or any of the million other things mentioned in the films that are either colloquialisms (I'll see you in Hell) or Earth-society-centric (hours/years...kinda). I agree with you.

I guess you can either accept that these are all being filtered through a 'familiarity screen' so we can understand them at all...or not.

14. Mark_Nguyen

That's fair - to me though it was presented as an unneeded anachronism to a world that SHOULD be really far away. Inasmuch as SW has "blasters" and "refreshers" and "tapcafes" and so on, sci-fi can use proxies to achieve familiarity while still being in a distant galaxy, and IMO should (hopefully without overdoing it). Starfleet crew drink coffee in the morning, sure - but they're generally humans from Earth. At least there's raktajino for everyone else...

Also, I never grew up with anyone named Luke or Ben, or Han for that matter - so to me those names seemed pretty weird, or at least uncommon enough to sound kinda alien.

Mark

15. Christopher

Then again, the recent detection of gravity waves confirming the inflationary model of cosmology supports the idea that the universe extends infinitely beyond what we can observe, and if there is an infinite number of galaxies, then supposedly it becomes inevitable that a galaxy far, far away would replicate everything that's familiar to us. Although the odds of ever actually reaching such a galaxy, given an infinity of choices, would be effectively zero, so its existence would be academic at best. But as long as there's no interaction between the SW galaxy and ours, it could be explained that way.

Of course, the simplest explanation is that it's just a space-opera fairy tale created for our entertainment and thus it doesn't have to make realistic sense.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Meh. The concept of a Lucasverse hot chocolate that's called the same thing doesn't really bother me. The main legislative body of both the Old Republic and then most of the history of the Empire was called the Senate, and that's a term that goes all the way back to ancient Rome here on Earth. If one digs long and deep enough it'd probably be easy to find SW terminology that sounds similar to or just like everyday words and names here in the real world.

At least our milk doesn't tend to be blue! :)

17. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

^ True. However, I would willingly hold a ritual sacrifice of all my Craftsman tools if I could have a hydrospammer.

18. Christopher

I think you mean a hydrospanner. A spanner is a wrench, a spammer is an online nuisance.

19. Mark_Nguyen

And before it's lost to the sands of time - blue skim milk used to be an actual thing. :)

Mark

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

While I have no major problem with anachronisms in Star Wars in general, I can certainly understand how an inferior writer trying to be cute with it can pull you straight out of a story.

I recall having a similar experience with (I think?) 'Planet of Twilight'. I forget the details but something about ships being held together by "space tape". Yeah, I know it sounds innocent enough out of context, but I remembering audibly groaning.

There was another bit (I forget which book) in which Leia and Mara are stuck in the dark somewhere and one of them ignites a lightsaber to see where they're going. What pulled me right out of it was a comment by the other saying they've never seen a sabre used as a light source before, followed by a totally straight-faced earnest reply about using anything to hand in a despetate situation.

Hard to explain (especially since I'm going by 15+ year old recollections) but it's stupid crap like that which eventually put me off SW novels for good. Again though, it wasn't the concepts so much as the poor execution, dull as dishwater plots and some very half arsed characterization.