The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

This episode seemed better written than average, good sign. they can't bring in more JR because this show has got to make it on the strength of their younger characters. if they need JR as a crutch, they've blown it. Jury is still out, since the actors do a better job when the writing isn't letting them down.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Then they're officially blown, 'cause they've been leaning on J.R. since John Ross first went to him for help. I mean really, would you have gotten to this point in the show without seeing him?

3. Temis the Vorta

I was more curious whether they could pull off a new Dallas with new characters than I was eager to see JR. If they can shape John Ross, Christopher and Elena into valid characters, that's what will keep me watching long term. (Rebecca strikes me as a lost cause.) Just tuning in to see JR's scheme du jour doesn't appeal to me much.

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

That's too bad, because that's actually the reason most people watched the original Dallas. Dallas was JR versus Bobby, JR versus Cliff, JR versus Sue Ellen. Dallas wasn't Dallas without JR, and if the producers of this version mean it when they say this is a continuation, then this version can't be Dallas without him either. Larry Hagman, I'm sorry, would probably have to die before old fans accepted a Dallas without JR, and frankly there aren't enough vampires or werewolves or witches for the new generation to fully back it, whether the noobs get with the program or not, and the only one I saw any potential in was Elena (but then I've always liked Jordana Brewster).

5. Temis the Vorta

Their best bet would have been to find a 30 year old actor who could be the new Larry Hagman. But they didn't or couldn't do that, so they have to make do with what they've got. At his age, I doubt Hagman is going to be prominent in this series. He made a big splash to kick things off and now his scenes are very limited. That appears to be intentional.

Given the ratings, only a small proportion of fans of the original show are watching, but that's good enough for a cable series to survive, especially one that will do well overseas, which I'm sure will happen if it hasn't already. The show is no worse than telenovelas or CSI Miami, which are extremely popular globally.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

They could have if they made this a reboot and not a continuation, but if they'd done that they likely wouldn't have gotten the number of older viewers they have now. If fans of the original ever thought the part of JR Ewing could be recast they could have left Larry Hagman to his retirement. I certainly don't think you could recast him. The pairing of Hagman/JR has become iconic.

(Someone will surely point out that JJ Abrams recast the iconic figures of TOS Trek. Yes, JJ Abrams has done a lot of stupid things in his career...)

True, but I'm betting that the show will live or die depending on his presence or lack thereof. If he retires for good and it survives, even in ten-episode bits, I'll be surprised.

Good enough then, but like I said...

7. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it being on cable actually keeps some origional viewers from watching it. People in that age range tend not to be able to find it I've found.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but at least some ought to have kids that were fans with them (like me - my mom was a huge fan) that can help them find it.

9. Temis the Vorta

Abrams recasting of the TOS characters, especially Spock, is much better than the younger cast they've assembled for this show. Not only is there no JR, there's not even a Bobby. Not that it's a recasting per se, but they could have hired more charismatic younger actors. It probably doesn't matter, since they can coast on the famous brand name plus lowered expectations for a cable audience size.

A lot of older people havent bothered to even get cable. But for basic cable, age of the audience matters. If the original fans are over 54, the advertisers don't care if they watch anyway.

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Anne to JR: "If you go near Bobby's room I'll shoot you. And since you don't have a heart, I'll shoot you someplace more vital!"

I love this woman. I don't care what her secret is.

Good episode. Even the kids weren't as boring this episode.

And maybe JR has a little bit of a heart...which is kinda disappointing.

11. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

"He actually referred to me as wife Number 3?" LOL

I'm liking Annie too. I think that's the first time I've ever seen JR back down to one of Bobby's wives.

I would love to see Pam come back next season and tag team JR with her and Sue Ellen.

12. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

What's funny is how he said it:

JR: "Sue Ellen, you've got to get me in to see Bobby. Wife number three is at the door and she's packin'!"

He'd lose it. He's a man who's used to having women eating out of his hand and that would mean three women that ain't falling for his charm.

This thing about Pam, though. People keep talking about wanting to see her and waiting for her to come back but there's no indication that's happening any time soon.

13. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

He's always had a heart (albeit a very small one). About the only time it was ever on display was when he was spending time with John Ross (I'm thinking back to Season 4 and 5 here).

Okay, so it's a 50/50 chance as to whose blood ended up on the monkey. Do you think it was Tommy or Rebecca who got hit?

14. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I like the younger members of the cast personally. Josh Henderson comes off with just the right mixture of "JR. slimeness" and "common decency" that seeped in from Bobby's side of the family.

And I really liked the part where they were looking at the portrait of Jock and Miss Ellie and made the comments about how Jock had started the rivalry between J.R. and Bobby by playing them against each other.

Given how J.R. , John Ross, and other parts of the family often deified Jock Ewing and his memory it was refreshing to know that the younger generation realizes that Jock was a monumental jerk.

It is clear the show though is going back to pushing the "John Ross/Elena/Christopher" Triangle by making them partners which will involve working closely together.

Ten to one, the end of Season Two will feature John Ross and Elena preparing to get married but Elena having sex with Christopher right before and Season Three being a "whose baby is it" caper.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I would say "Rebecca, I hope" if it weren't for the twins who I would hope would live and grow up to be not as annoying as their mother. Let's just say i won't shed a whole bunch of tears over either one.

16. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Same here. Even if Rebecca wasn't the one to get shot, she's my least favorite of the new characters, and I really don't see much future for her as the show looks toward Season 2. I'll be VERY interested to see how things play out next week.

17. wissaboo

I thought so too till she deliberately manipulated her brother/lover into attacking her so she could shoot him. That's pretty interesting.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A few weeks ago, they were going to have J.R. teach John Ross about the oil business. I thought that J.R.'s absence during junior's tough times were supposed to be part of that and I thought it was brilliant, but things didn't go that way. In fact, it looks like J.R.'s schooling was just dropped. Oh well.

19. Temis the Vorta

In true soap fashion, they should have Rebecca be in a coma till the babies are born. I'm getting tired of her boo hoo routine. They should have made her a scheming minx who regardless, was genuinely in love with Christopher. Maybe.

This show seems to have more psychological depth than I ever remember from the original. Maybe the younguns can keep this going on their own, JR or no JR.

20. wissaboo

it's been revealed the whole con was her idea. That is pretty schimeing minxish isn't it?