Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

FF was the first Marvel team book i read, its also one of the first comics i started reading month to month. love Hickman's run. Fraction is hit or miss with me. really enjoy Defenders, his Iron Man run kinda lost steam when Tony rebooted his brain, X-Men and Thor stuff is hit or miss.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

rumor has it that Red Hulk will die in AvX.

4. Turtletrekker

From Solicits released today...

AVENGERS VS X-MEN #11
    BRIAN BENDIS (w) • OLIVIER COIPEL (a)
    Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    AVENGERS TEAM VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    KUBERT VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    PICHELLI SKETCH VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    PICHELLI VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    PROMO VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    X-MEN TEAM VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    The final month of AVX opens with the first of two extra-sized issues!
    Fatality!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Somebody's gonna die...

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But then reruns of Heroes will no longer be RELEVANT...

It was so fucking funny when Hiro said that comics were stupid now because the Hulk is Red.

If the Hulk suddenly isn't red any more just 5 years later, then Heroes is going to seem dated.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will surprise me if Red Hulk is the only casualty from this event. Just when the character was finally becoming likeable too. Sigh.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Protector sucks so hard.

He shouldn't.

Marvelboy was awesome.

8. Admiral_Young

Protector was okay in the first Avengers arc where they want into the Ultron future...since then he's sucked.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Ross Hulk will be back. If this had happened 3 years ago he likely wouldn't return soon as Loeb's writing on the character wasn't exciting. Since the reveal he was Ross somewhere mid-20's his fan following and importance has increased.

I say under 2years he's back.

10. Admiral_Young

That's if he even dies. I don't think anyone cares enough about him. He's only become likeable the last year or so. If Jason Aaron leaves The Incredible Hulk, I'll be dropping the title depending on who succeeds him. Maybe they're planning another big Hulk relaunch? To me the character has been inconsistently handled since World War Hulk. Aaron has done some excellent stuff with him.

11. Captain Craig

As someone who collects Omnibus material his 57 issue run + Giant Size and other one offs are enough for 2 volumes of material. I'd be game for that. I guess it's the 'mileage varies' but I've grown fonder of him the last two years. When written well, like he has been of late the gruff, military mind of Ross in a Hulk body is intriguing.

Incredible Hulk #9 - I enjoyed the Atlantean 'hick' town adventure that Bruce got Hulk into for this issue. He near instantly asks to speak to Namor, which I liked. It's just the little nods of characters knowing their world I like. Keeping continuity within the story by mention of the PitBull story from #8 when he demands info from the Atlantean Doc(I don't recall her being given a name) how her procedure and PitBull could be related. Then there is the transition element gimmick where just like he wakes up under the ocean in #8, he awakens in space on the last page. Looking forward to #10. Bummer Arron is leaving the book. Was looking forward to a long run like he had on Wolverine for Hulk, I'd settle for the Ghost Rider run. It's like each run is now 1/2 as long as the last one. His next stint will be just 6 issues the way he's going.

12. Admiral_Young

^ I agree with everything you've written about IH#9. Jason Aaron will be missed when he leaves, and the art is fantastic.

Fantastic Four #607: Oh Hickman you glorious bastard! You've made Wakanda and T'Challa extremely bad ass! Finally we get to see Ororo and T'Challa as husband and wife for a few panels. Seems they're always apart. We get a history of Wakanda. This issue felt almost like a Stargate episode. Might as well call Vibriunium, Naqadah! I can't wait for 608 next month. This issue was beautifully drawn as well.

13. Admiral_Young

14. Captain Craig

^^^
    Be curious to see then.
    I hope it's not a relaunch, rename thing they do though. Just keep the title going.

15. Admiral_Young

I have a feeling that given the rumored/anticipated creative shuffling happening in the fall, that it'll be relaunched with a new creative team. Who knows who will star in it.

16. Captain Craig

Creative Team shuffle I'm fine with. Just make the next one issue #58.

17. Turtletrekker

Previews for next week's Marvel releases...

Wow. Between the crossover issues, the .1 issue and twice-monthly shipping, it seems like forever since the last Daredevil, but it's only been a month.:lol:

Besides DD, I'll be getting Avengers Academy 32, AvX 6, Journey into Mystery 640, New Avengers 27, New Mutants 44, Secret Avengers 28, Uncanny X-Men 14, and Winter Soldier 7, so it'll be a pretty big week for me.

18. Admiral_Young

This past week was huge for me, so this week only a couple of books:

-Avenging Spider-Man #8 (Ends of the Earth Epilogue)
    -Avengers Vs X-Men #6 (Please finally be good. Hickman is writing this issue i think)
    -Uncanny X-Men #14

Rich speculates who could join Bendis on Uncanny and X-Men...if indeed that is happening...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/16/to-bendis-his-x-artists/

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  19. Captain Craig

I know I'm likely, okay probably am, the only one who cares but big development for Man-Thing in this weeks Dark Avengers #176(old TBolts title).

For those who don't know Man-Thing is an emphatic being. Reads you like a dog or cat would based on emotions, body posture etc. He then developed limited telepathic abilities through his time controlling the Nexus of All Realities.
    He was captured, placed in a glorified aquarium by Norman Osborne and used by the Thunderbolts for transportation and muscle. Man-Thing got vaporized, it seems, but you can't kill him as Satana noted. However, due to the severity he was going to have to be reborn vs just reassemble such as when a bullet, sword etc goes through him.

He's been reborn at the dawn of time on Earth. He's actually the reason the TBolts began time tripping backward. He had to access the earliest elements on Earth to be reborn. I want the original art for that page by the way. It also seems he
    can now talk. Although it's unclear if he's speaking or just using a higher form or telepathy. Ghost says "he speaks just fine to me" but Satana also says "we all hear him as we choose". IMO it could be just telepathy as it's standard for Man-Thing to not have a defined mouth.
    More answers are forthcoming as he was tired from his rebirth and went off to rest. All this for Man-Thing only covers about 4-5 pages in the book by the way.

I'm liking what I've seen with Man-Thing's inclusion with TBolts since issue #150 and wondering what the greater road map is for him. His Omnibus hits in a few months. The lost Gene Colon story as well. Could a mini or ongoing happen?!

Anyway I typed all that for information purposes. I read posts of titles I'm not reading to stay informed. Assume others might be curious about my boy!!

Looking forward to reading Avenging Spiderman #8 and Punisher #12 tonight!!

Also, could a mod just change this thread title to something like : Ongoing Marvel Comics monthly book thread
    Something, I think Admiral Young has even asked before. The Heroic Age "theme" was so long ago now it seems.

20. Admiral_Young

Actually it was TurtleTrekker that requested a name change. Plus quite frankly I don't even know why they called it "Heroic Age" in the first place LOL.

Avenging Spider-Man #8: Very good issue, but it is an epilogue to Dan Slott's Ends of the Earth and deals with Spider-Man's memories of a certain characters "passing". The ending implies that character could still be alive though. Very good issue. Loved the flash back tale that Peter told Steve. Always have been a fan of his banter with Doc Strange! The art was weird in this issue though.

Uncanny X-Men #14: I think this might be my favorite issue of the series so far! Sinister World! Sinister prepares to face off against Phoenix Scott!