Indiana Jones and the Magic Fridge

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Yminale, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

IMDB FAQ:
    There is a deleted scene in which you see Indy holding on to the periscope, which is sticking out of the water. Early submarines generally traveled the oceans on the surface of the water under diesel power, which requires access to the air for inlets to the engines. They could only travel short distances under water, as this required electric propulsion and the battery power of the submarine did not last very long. German U-boats would only submerge when they'd attack surface ships. However, there would generally be four or five crewman on the conning tower as lookouts. U-boats generally would submerge to a depth of roughly 12 meters, deep enough to see out the periscope. In the novelization, Indy lashed himself to the periscope with his bullwhip and rode/dozed through 20 frigid hours in oceanic water. In the movie, we never see the sub fully submerge, so are left with the conclusion that Indy rode on the top, a more believable scenario than riding it underwater without freezing or drowning.

LOTS OF US HATE THAT TOO :cool:

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I almost walked out of the theater when they used the raft as a parachute in Temple of Doom.

On the other hand, I forgave riding the U-boat in the theater, I don't know, because I was having such a good time otherwise, I guess.

As for the fridge? I chalked that up to a higher power looking over his shoulder. By then, God owed him one or two, so it was good.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it was easy to assume that the sub stayed above water for much of the journey, or that Indy somehow snuck on board while no one was looking.

And because the raft escape was not only an inspired solution, but looked like something that just might be plausible (and was proven to be so on an early episode of Mythbusters).

Neither were as ridiculous as a human being surviving both a nuclear blast and the gigantic impact of a fridge hitting the ground multiple times.

(Although to be fair, I was still willing to go along with the movie at that point; it was only after a multitude of similar, ridiculous scenes that the movie finally lost me)

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

None of this is as bad as having ALIENS in the final film, is it?

Even worse than having difficulty controlling THE CAPITALIZATION of letters. :D

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, no. That myth was busted [http://mythbustersresults.com/episode37]:

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude, no... just no. It's every bit as cartoonish and unreal.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Who cares? The Indiana Jones movies obviously never tried to be realistic. :p

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Aliens crosses a line, but not the spirits of God? THAT is to much to accept?

:rolleyes:

Sometimes it's used for EMPHASIS.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Bold is emphasis, italics is emphasis, CAPITALIZATION is SHOUTING.

11. davejames

Well yeah, obviously in the real world you'd need to strap yourself in first, but that doesn't seem to me THAT far off from the movie. They still showed the raft itself landing pretty damn softly in the end, which is probably more than most people would expect to happen.

12. Professor Zoom

SHOUTING IS WHEN ALL OF THE WORDS ARE CAPITALIZED.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The "riding the submarine" bit always bugged me but I think by the point it happens the movie has been fun enough that it is easily shrugged off/waved away. It wasn't TOO absurd given it would be "possible" if "certain conditions" were met, which really should have been shown in the movie but, whatever.

The "nuking the fridge" bit was just utterly absurd. The fridge survived a NUCLEAR explosion first of all. (I don't care if the fridge was made out of adamantium it wouldn't have been tossed around like a helium balloon in a stiff breeze like that.) Secondly even if it COULD survive the explosion and even if the lead lining in the fridge was enough to protect Indy from the radiation the thing got slammed around so much "landing" that Indy should have been liquefied by it. That bit (and the multiple waterfalls bit later on, and the Shia and the fencing on the racing cars in the forest and the swinging in the treets and... UGH...) was all simply demanding too much hand waving and suspension of disbelief for utter ridiculousness. What's worse the movie wasn't good enough to shrug all of that off.

The U-Boat thing was silly but only because the "explanation" for it isn't in the movie. The using the life raft bit? Silly and absurd, sure, but it "tried" to make you fall for it by making it seem somewhat plausible. It wasn't too out of line and on the surface it "makes sense."

All of that very different than that damn fridge scene.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of you take your movies WAY too seriously.

15. davejames

Well yeah, because even if you're not a believer, it's not that hard to buy the idea of the Ark of the Covenant (if it were to ever be found) containing some kind of dark and ancient and mysterious power.

The whole "ancient alien" thing, on the other hand, is just a bunch of cheesy New Age nonsense that only got popular in the last 60 years or so. There's no real history to the idea, and it doesn't go back to nearly as deep and primal a place as religion does.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

WRONG!

17. Professor Zoom

I believe in the context of the movie, sure. But in real life? dark and ancient and mysterious powers are hogwash.

I guess for this atheist: ancient aliens and God are about equal in real life, both works of imagination. But, I'm willing to accept them as elements IN fiction.

CANADA disagrees with you.

Here's from Wiki:

Clearly I'm not using ALL caps for every word, I'm using it for emphasis, on specific words. Even your link, Netiquette:

So... back on topic?

18. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I never saw anything wrong with any of the movies' storytelling. It was fantasy after all. I mean a box that holds vengeful spirits which kill everything that looks at them? That was the first film, guys.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I love the Atomic Fridge. Very ingenious solution to a certain-death situation in the Saturday-morning movie serial tradition. Because that's what the Indy movies are. :bolian:

About the only thing that really bothered me in the Indy movies (in terms of stunts) was the life raft. It just looked so wrong. Toast always lands butter-side down for a reason.

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't mind the fridge stuff nearly as much as the shenanigans in the jungle later on.

The thing that bugged me though is that the first 20 odd minutes of KOTCS felt like the ending to a better movie that we had missed the first two thirds of.