Writing Challenge, Winter 2013-14 "I aim to misbehave"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Cobalt Frost, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Greetings, programs! We find before us a new challenge, with some rules familiar and some changed. No longer limited to a mere month, now we have an entire season with which to craft tales to delight, astound, educate, and amaze. It is certain that this new challenge format will produce tales that are truly epic in scope.

This time, the challenge before you is to tell a story where the characters find themselves faced with a situation in which they choose, or perhaps are forced, to “misbehave.” They’ll act out of rebellion, or possibly secret orders, or maybe a deep-seated belief that what they’ve been asked to do is wrong. The circumstances of the trial before them, and their act(s) of misbehavior, are of course up to you.

This sort of story has been seen several times in Trek, and is a popular storytelling device in many other genres, so there is an extra bit of challenge in making your story stand out, of using the trope in a way we haven’t seen, or possibly as a stunningly well-written example of something we have seen. We have a surfeit of talented authors here, and I have no doubt we’ll be regaled with some extraordinary tales.

If you want, you can also include a theme of “tradition” in your story. Perhaps the characters have to find a way to maintain a certain tradition despite their misbehavior, or maybe they end up creating one of their own, or possibly they’re rebelling against a long-standing tradition. To borrow a lyric from ‘Weird Al’, “It’s tradition, that makes it OK,” when it’s quite possibly anything but.

The Grid is live, programs… will you take up the challenge?

Here are “The Rules.” Any questions can be directed here or to me via PM.

• Word limit: 25,000 words max, with a little wiggle room above if needed.
    • Story must be original for this month’s challenge, nothing posted here before please.
    • Let’s keep the challenge in the Trek arena, canon or your personal fic.
    • Only complete stories will be eligible; finishing the story before posting it is a good idea.
    • Post a link to your entry in this thread when you’re done.
    • Contest to run until midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) March 6th, 2014, with voting to follow from March 7th to March 20th.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Sounds good. :)

3. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I think I already have an idea. Haven't used my Trek characters in a while, going to have to brush the dust off the consoles.

4. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

I think it's an interesting concept that holds a lot of possibilities - perhaps there is a danger of retreading too much old ground (I'm thinking breaking the Prime Directive to do what's 'right') but that is of course a matter for the author to deal with.

Nothing immediately springs to mind for me personally, but as I've said the challenge is an interesting one so I'll see what ideas may or may not develop and get back to you all! :lol:

5. Cobalt Frost

Starfleet captains violate the Prime Directive so often it can hardly be considered "misbehaving" :D Whenever the Prime Directive is mentioned, it reminds me of the "Pirates' Code" from Pirates of the Caribbean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl0hMfqNQ-g

6. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

Well of course there are varying degrees of misbehaviour... :)

7. Count Zero

So, it's been a while. Is anyone working on anything already? If not, there's still over a month time.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

An idea has recently come to mind and starting to evolve, will try hammering it out over the next few weeks.

9. Galen4

Galen4 Captain Captain

Sol III, within the universe of United Trek
    I have something that may work. The theme is perfect for what popped into my head.
    I'll see what I can do.

10. Bry_Sinclair

My entry Means To An End is on the board now.

Be advised, it does contain some rather violent scenes as well as cleavage that rivals that of Seven's :)

11. Cobalt Frost

The first challenger steps onto the Grid! Excellent story, Bry, very gritty.. and I'd love to know what's on that particular isolinear rod...

12. Count Zero

Well, the deadline has passed (sorry for only catching that now, I had somehow remembered it wrongly). There was only one entry. Congrats, Bry_Sinclair. :)

13. Clark Terrell

Clark Terrell Lieutenant Commander

What does he win?

14. Count Zero

Normally, the right to choose the theme for the next challenge. However, given the lack of participation, I'm not sure whether it makes sense to have a next challenge.

15. Cobalt Frost

Well, Bry put up a great story (as usual), and I hope he does put up another challenge. I could use some good story fodder to get me back to writing :D

16. Clark Terrell

I do have a story that's in progress. It didn't fit this quarter's theme, or I'd have posted it.

17. Bry_Sinclair

Thanks Cobalt :bolian:

I do have a Challenge concept in mind, hopefully one that'll get the creative juices flowing.

18. Clark Terrell

Excellent!