Best scifi cartoon series?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheMasterOfOrion, Dec 19, 2012.

?

animated science fiction

Poll closed Jan 18, 2013.
  1. Drawn Together

1.6%
  2. Spectacular Spider-Man 2008

3.2%
  3. Cowboy Bebop

25.8%
  4. Batman TAS 1990s

38.7%
  5. Archer

6.5%
  6. Deathnote

4.8%
  7. BraveStarr

3.2%
  8. Justice League 2001-2006

29.0%
  9. Star Trek TAS

29.0%
  10. X-Men 1990s

12.9%
  11. God, The Devil, And Bob

1.6%
  12. Futurama

51.6%
  13. Rocko’s Modern Life

1.6%
  14. Family Guy

6.5%
  15. Invader Zim

11.3%
  16. Transformers 1980s

12.9%
  17. Dragonball

1.6%
  18. Gargoyles

24.2%
  19. Flash Gordon 1970s

6.5%
  20. Avengers EMH 2010

19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

If the poll included them I'd vote for the Mobile Suit Gundam and Macross anime franchises. I'd also like to put in an honorable mention for Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Not exactly on the tip of most peoples minds these days, but where are the Jetsons?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just finished watching Return to the Planet of the Apes on Hulu. That is the creepiest, darkest opening sequence I've ever seen in a TV cartoon.

The show itself is a mixed bag. Its animation is so limited it makes Filmation's animation look fluid, but the still art is sometimes really striking and beautiful in a rough Doug Wildey-ish way. It's also very slow-paced, which felt cinematic at first but got a bit tedious after a while. The storytelling's very interesting, though, very rare for the era in that it had a continuously developing arc over the season, with every episode contributing something to the larger storyline. Although that got me expecting some kind of a big finish in the finale, and it didn't really deliver.

Still, it's the one part of the Apes screen franchise I don't think I've seen before (which is odd, since it was on when I was seven, and it doesn't seem to have been aired opposite anything else I watched). And now I've filled that gap in my knowledge, and I'm glad I did.