BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

It's a good diagram, but weren't the big power units in S2/3 roated 90 degrees?
    I do like all that extra engineering space at the bottom left though! Might that be the dilithium room from Alternative Factor?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think they were. They were shown both ways, so just chose one.
    The dilithium room is on the other side, in similar spot to the reactor room in TMP (in these plans, engineering is in the same area as in TMP). Possibly it became the reactor room in TMP during the refit was the idea.
    The layout of it is odd. I had to watch the scenes from Alternative Factor a lot to understand the layout.

Seen here:
    http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=53&page=10
    and
    http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=53&page=16

you can see that Kirk rushes into an anteroom of sorts (where the short machines are against the wall) from a corridor. If you look close in the episode you can see from the 2 camera angles in and outside the room, that the wall seems to have an angle to it, with more short machines:
    http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/1x27/The_Alternative_Factor_176.JPG
    So when Lazarus knocks out the redshirt, he hides in that room's corner enough to not be seen by the girl, so I put in a small door to another room that he could have snuck into.
    [​IMG]

Again, just my interpretation. Not trying to hijack this thread, but just to add my own experience when trying to map out the same stuff blssdwlf is doing.
    Nice to see another Lightwaver btw.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Mytran - I'm reading 6'5" off the ground (which seems to match the height of the balcony on the other side). So far fairly consistent and I'm able camera match across several episodes where the EMM is featured (whew!) :D

@Wildstar - no worries. Thanks for the very helpful information you've given :) I've been using LW for several years, originally to help with some web projects and now just as a hobby :) So good to see another Lightwaver too.

As for my current thinking...

The two power units I'm assuming to be portable to account for their constant shuffling around.

That alcove that we see in "Elaan of Troyius" I figure was modified and enclosed with the antimatter bypass as seen in "That Which Survives". It probably was enclosed earlier since Memory Alpha indicates "Day of the Dove" to be be produced before "That Which Survives".

And then (a head scratcher) in "Day of the Dove" the mysterious entity is seen floating in the balcony area where the red ladder is. But the entire time it is there, all the characters are looking over by the wall above the antimatter bypass room! :shifty: I just might fit another balcony on that side just to see how it would look...

Right now I'm trying to figure out where the Elaan and Scotty were when looking at what I assume is part of the deflector shield system and hoping it doesn't end up under the EMM :D

3. blssdwlf

This is by no means definite, but just wanted to post up a WIP to better illustrate my previous post :)

You can also see the corridor from the 1st ladder leading to the back ladder going to the EMM.

[​IMG]

4. wildstar

That second tall stair with the partial console is throwing me for a loop.

Regarding the EMM, opposite the ladderway, the opening corridor is closer to the red screen than camera, just so you know.
    http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/2x04/TOS_2x10_MirrorMirror0223-Trekpulse.jpg

And to go along with the concept of all of the small upgrades, in an episode that slips my mind, the curved console from the "second bridge/auxillary control" was used in EMM, then in Mirror Mirror and Zetar a simpler console was used.
    [​IMG]

5. blssdwlf

It looks that way, but that vertical machine (with the black panel in the middle) obscures what is between it and the wall with the red screen. Here is another angle from "Lights of Zetar" that shows more space...

[​IMG]

Thanks wildstar, I'll keep a lookout for this scene :)

6. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Of course it's a different ship in MM. Very similar in most ways, even down to McCoy's acid stain but it could be different.

7. blssdwlf

^^ True enough kkozoriz1. I found some dialogue stating as much. After comparing the two scenes ("Lights of Z" and "Mirror, Mirror") it looks like the folks just slid that vertical machine up against the wall of the red screen. I also noticed a mistake on my part where the wall actually has a slope to it next to the screen. Will post up an updated on in a bit :)

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks - this height issue has bugged me for years, it's fantastic to have some be able to build a 3D replica of the set and try these things out! :)

Again a very curious choice on behalf of the director! I'm asssuming it was done due to the lack of a 4th wall on the side of the EMM. However, judging by the angle that Kirk et al are looking, I thought it could imply a platform even higher off the ground than you've placed it - if that would help the layout at all?

You are rocketting through these remaining episodes, blssdwlf. I had hoped to produce definitive articles on set layouts for all episodes, but at this rate you'll be done long before I start the first one! (especially as I haven't started converting my notes yet - real life getting in the way and all that ;))

9. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm. lotsa nifty room layouts to pinch... ;)

10. wildstar

Feel free to do your own research in the episodes yourself as well. Our work could be erroneous.

11. wildstar

Got a screencap? I'm curious. (The Elaan and Scotty/ deflector shield reference)

Also, maybe since the entity could alter people's thoughts and perceptions, maybe it made them think it was where they were looking, while it made it's escape on the opposite direction!
    Solves the issue of putting a second stepway where the "office" etc is located in other episodes.

12. blssdwlf

@CRA - sure :) But as wildstar mentioned and as a disclaimer that my renderings are still subject to human error :)

Sure. I'm assuming it is a shield device as Scotty plugs the cloaking device into the shield system in "The Enterprise Incident". They aren't exactly in the same location between episodes though. In "Elaan" the device seems to be closer to the EMM wall and in "Incident" it is more in the open area between the dilithium floor energizer and the EMM.

[​IMG]

That is possible. As you can see, the entity was shown in the balcony area as it leaves but yeah they weren't consistent in it's location. (It might have been floating around to keep an eye on Kirk though ;) ) From where the people looked, the balcony was either on the forward wall near the EMM or sometimes over by the EMM near the back wall. The majority of the sequence suggests the forward wall. I'd have to watch it again to see if there is a direct link though.

@Mytran - I can see if I've got room to move it higher. Because we see the ladder, I'm inclined to keep it at the same height as the regular balcony though :)

[​IMG]

13. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

Just out of curiosity, those power transfer conduits(?) at the back are supposed to be equal length/height, aren't they? They were depicted that way as a "forced perspective to give the illusion of more depth. I really don't think they are actually supposed to look like that.

14. blssdwlf

@I-Am-Zim - Well, yes and no :D I'm going more for an "as seen on TV" look and incorporating designer's intent only where possible. The short story is that I couldn't get that power pipes section to match up because they shot the engine room from many more angles than what the forced perspective probably intended.

There are a couple of other reasons as well to go with the forced-perspective version for this project as well and you can see what I mean by reading pages 3 and 4 of this thread (if you have the time.)

Of course, this is not the only way to do it. It just happens to fit what I'm trying to do ("What would the Thermians do? :D )

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  15. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

Ah. I see. This is some absolutely fantastic work! Although I don't quite agree with the engineering section being placed in the primary hull, it's still awesome! I wish I had the time, software, and skill to do something like this. Keep up the good work!

16. Mytran

I arrived at a similar solution when I did my mk1 plans a few years back. Basically, I figured that the entity was shining a really bright light onto the wall from it's vantage point by the steps and that's what our heroes were looking at. Lame? Certainly. But it solved the problem for me at the time.

However, maybe the entity can project an image of itself from one location into another, like a defensive camoflage ability? There's actually another example of this in the episode, when Kirk first spots it in the corridor:

One minute, the entity is seen at the struts of a concentric corridor:
    [​IMG](click for larger size)

The next, it's resting by a corridor junction! (that 9" vertical pole is a dead giveaway)
    [​IMG](click for larger size)

If one is a projection, problem solved!

So we (the viewer) never actually see what Kirk and Spock are looking at. Actually I think the entity's projection is hovering in the middle of Engineering, right next to the ceiling. This would also explain why Kirk and Spock appears to be starring in different directions (or else the projection moved).

Finally, my theory is also a great argument for Engineering not being in the secondary hull, cos it was only an illusion we saw leaving the ship at that point! :guffaw:

17. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I do, but my computer graphics capabilities are limited, so I'm always on the lookout for useful starting points.

18. blssdwlf

@Mytran - that's a possibility although after rewatching it looks to me like the entity just moved around alot off-screen :(

From what I can tell, they see the entity down the hallway (as in the screenshot) and walk a little further towards it.

In the dialogue, Kirk and Spock seem to be looking much further down the hallway which happens to correspond to the corridor junction when we see the entity next.

When Kirk walks away to contact Kang, his motion seems to indicate he is actually going down the left hall (which seems to reinforce that the entity relocated to the juncture after the first screenshot).

So far it seems like the entity just moves around alot but they didn't have the fx budget to film all of it :D

On a different note, I re-did the hangar complex in low-poly to match up with 9' decks (I opted for those instead of 10' decks.) It's also a WIP. This way I can see how much room I have for the engineering machinery and M/AM reactor, etc.

I've included the hallways seen in the series and a test render from the flight deck. I ended up making the observation structures larger to fit "The Conscience of the King" deck and the shuttle is scaled at a larger 24' instead of the filmed approx 20' version.

[​IMG]

19. Mytran

That's some fine work! (as always). Although you've scaled up the shuttle it looks like you've kept the shuttlebay the same size, am I right?

Good placement of the Battlefield corridor to allow for the wonky wall. I can't see the Doomsday corridor though, with its distinctive "briefing lounge" struts - or is that just somewhere else on the deck? We never see Decker actually enter the shuttebay after all, just climb down to the "Hangar Deck"

I'm please to see that there's space for fuel/energy conduits to be connected to the pylons - space was getting a bit tight up there but I'm glad there is room after all.

Putting is all together to make sense is tricky, as that episode (and a lot of the 3rd season eps) makes extensive use of "mirrored" corridor shots, often with bizzare results. DOTD isn't too bad, it just means that there's an awful lot of triangular ladders in that section of the ship! ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. wildstar

Throwing my 2 cents in again. If you watch how Kirk and the girl in "Conscience..." walk into the observation corridor, they come in from the side, so I ended up doing this with the layout:
    [​IMG]

Those half circle grey things near the outer hull are single person lifts, just like the ones on the refit in engineering BTW.
    I could never figure out what that red "pole" is behind Kirk, if it was really a fireman type pole or a trick of the coloured lighting.