DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

TNG was my first love, but DS9 from the Jem'Hadar episode on was my favorite Trek. The Wolf 359 teaser scene from S1 ep1 was incredible, but the show clunked along for much of the first 2.5 seasons (as did the others). Best developed antagonist, alien of otherwise, in Dukat. The Dominion war was excellent for its character development as much as its depiction of starfleet at war. Worf added a lot. Oh, and I still remember the first time "Tears of the Prophets" aired and the space battles reached a new level not only going all CG, but speeding up movement where earlier CG (The Sacrifice of Angels) was good but still mimicked the slow movements of the physical models. There was something real and satisfying in hearing that synthehol really tasted like crap too.

2. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finished DS9 for the very first time recently and absolutely loved it from start to finish.

I posted my thoughts after recently watching the finale in this thread:

Can I officially be called a "Niner" now? :angel:

dub likes this.
  3. queerTrekker

queerTrekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello, I am a fellow Niner, though I do enjoy the others (even Enterprise, lol), but characters like Garak and Dax edge this one just over the mark into favorite territory.

4. AquamarineSteph

AquamarineSteph Cadet Newbie

Hello! I am new to the forum here. I've been rewatching DS9 and just finished watching the season finale for season five. I am LOVING watching this show again, and I'm glad that I've found some other people who love this show and the ST universe, too!

5. Nancy Debretsion

Nancy Debretsion Writer Red Shirt

I'm an older member under the nom MultiplePOV but was never very active. I've joined again under my own name because I have a Deep Space Nine story in the 2016 Strange New Worlds. I'm proud to say that in a different SNW-specific thread, "The Manhunt Pool" was evaluated by at least one reviewer as being canon-compliant.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Welcome to you both!

7. DS9_Klingon

DS9_Klingon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi all--Long time reader of BBS, but fairly new to posting, I joined a few weeks back. I am mainly into the literature (You'll notice a few of my posts in the 'What Are you Reading Generations post'), but being born in the mid 80's, I grew up with both TNG and DS9. As I don't remember, can/should DS9 & TNG be intertwined if attempting to view in some kind of chronological order ?
    I do know if one wants to read some of the literature in a particular way, one can mix both titles from DS9 & TNG. Thank you all in advance !! :)

8. Nancy Debretsion

Nancy Debretsion Writer Red Shirt

9. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

Going to recycle my TNG intro here to save some time before I dive into my DS9 impressions:

Hello all. I'm fairly new to the site and forum. My love of all things sci-fi began on a deployment in 2007 when I came across the Firefly DVDs from a bootleg Iraqi vendor. Imagine my disappointment when I looked for season 3....

but I digress. I never grew up on shows like Trek or anything, but I've always enjoyed science fiction. Last year I was sidelined from an injury and got into Stargate. I devoured that, followed by Farscape, Battlestar Galactica (reboot), and - finally - Star Trek. I watched everything in somewhat production order and recently began my adventures into the Lit-Verse (still on ENT lit).

Again, only seen everything once, but DS9 really did feel like the deeper, darker black sheep of the Trek universe...which I really enjoyed. It was a bold move for the showrunners considering where TOS and TNG came from.

Starting with what I did not like...

Maybe he will grow on my the second viewing around, but Sisko was probably my least-favorite Captain. I think it's because of some of the acting choices by Avery Brooks, because I really did like all of the other characters. That's really my only negative comment about DS9.

What I did like...

Somehow, amidst the darker tones of this show, there was real heart and there were themes that hit home for me as a military man : (1) The camaraderie between Miles and Bashir, Jake and Nog, etc. (2) The bravery of the writers to talk about the horrors of war, occupation, etc. from the POV of Jake as a writer and Kira as a Bajoran. It was equally as great to use the perspective of Garak. (3) The need for some hi-jinx every now and then. The holo-suite stories and other episodes that were more levity-based did so without being too cheesy (minus the baseball game - that was pretty damn cheese-tastic).

More insights to come when I get around to the DS9 litverse and future viewings. Glad to be here and I enjoy all of the posts.

dub likes this.
  10. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enjoyed reading your post, Riverside! Welcome to Niners' Club! Can't wait to read more of your insights!

Riverside2233 likes this.
  11. Savage Dragon

Riverside2233 likes this.
  12. SSOASS

SSOASS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Big Star Trek, in general, but especially DS9 fan. The new documentary and H&I reruns have gotten me back into Trek,

I really like TNG, have mixed views about Voyager and ENT

Grew up on TOS reruns

Really like about 60% of the movies

But as I get older, I think DS9 really stands out and holds up the best of all of them. Really great series that had depth, making DS9 feel like a real place with everyone from The Sisko to Morn.

13. Savage Dragon

Welcome to The Trek BBS!

14. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

not exactly a newbie, but I spend most of my time (and posts) in the Lounges. I think this is my third post in this forum in about a decade LOL.
    Hello to all newbies, oldtimers and fellow occasional visitors! *waves*

Dragon, could you please be so kind as to correct the spelling of my thread's title: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/questions-to-terri-farrell.286742/ (it seems that Terry is spelled with a Y while I had assumed it to be with an i). It's not really important, though. Just if you happen to have time and are in the mood for tinkering :)
    Totally off-topic: who is the green gentleman in your avatar? Reminds me a little of Mister Clean, but that's propably due to the hairstyle and the muscles.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  15. Savage Dragon

Done. :techman:

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

you're the best!!

Savage Dragon likes this.
  17. Quark'sNutsack

Quark'sNutsack Cadet Newbie

I was raised in a family where if hadn't shown a genuine love for Star Trek (OG) at an early age I would've been excommunicated, so accidentally finding this place was a true joy for me :biggrin:I have been having a hellagood time reading these threads, and wanted to just thank everyone who posts for giving me some awesome thread to go with my coffee :techman:

UnknownSample and Nyotarules like this.
  18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the BBS.

Interesting username there.

Kor

19. Quark'sNutsack

Quark'sNutsack Cadet Newbie

LOL thanks! I'm genuinely happy to be chillin here :D And (hehe) the name is a variation of another name I usually use (I go by Jehovah'sNutsack in certain i-circles), but I felt Quark would be more appropriate in this forum :hugegrin:

20. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Not new here, but never said hi here. First run TOS viewer as a kid, had high hopes for Next Gen, didn't know about DS9, then season 6 made me turn around and reappraise. I love all seasons of it now.