Klingons in STID--why do they look like [SPOILERS]?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DavidLeeRoth, May 17, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most fans don't seem to have problems with it. It seems more of the issues crop up among Trek purists, or as I like to call them, people who think Star Trek isn't what it was because what it was isn't what they think it is.

2. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

These Klingons looked bad-ass, not just some hairy biker dudes. I wouldn't want to mess with these guys.

3. pirates_dc

pirates_dc Ensign Red Shirt

I agree, they had a fearsome look to them.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

They had a pants-shittingly terrifying look to them. I wouldn't want to mess with these guys in the light of day surrounded by a dozen troops, let alone in a back alley. :lol:

5. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I object to the premise. They looked like badass, regular Klingons.

6. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

A thing I like so far.

Klingons - Fearsome, tough, intimidating dudes.

Vulcans - Super strong!

7. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

These are going to be some very exciting klingons going forward.

Remind me to bring a Cumberbatch if I ever go to Qo'nos. Screwed without one.

8. pirates_dc

pirates_dc Ensign Red Shirt

Ha, i second that. The klingons had no chance!

9. 7thsealord

7thsealord Captain Captain

Hmmm. Thinking on this, most Klingons previously seen have been military (presumably with some semblance of a dress code). Maybe these particular Klingons ARE their equivalent of bad-ass biker dudes.

10. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

thought they looked good. i enjoyed them changing what they looked like in the 90's.

I can not tell you why Spock going back in time would change how an entire alien race would look but i am not going to dig to deep.

11. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Maybe these Klingons are the equivalent to the Romulans Vs Remans...

We could call them Kleavens. (or maybe Kleegans)

:guffaw:

12. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I posted this in another thread:

The Klingons should have subdued ridges during this time period, as per their dealings with Eugenics DNA manipulation, during TOS they didn't have ridges at all, but slowly gained them back. So, I would have preferred that the ridges be more subdued than they were here, but still, they aren't as ridgy as we see in TNG, so overall not overly disappointed. Just think they should have been even more a bit smoother.

Also, it makes perfect sense that they'd wear helmets, I think the Klingons were pretty embarrassed at first when they lost their ridges, wearing helmets to cover this disgrace makes sense, so I liked the fact they were wearing helmets.

13. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Klingons roping down from gunships with blades and fury is everything I ever wanted when watching reruns of TOS growing up, so people can smack talk JJ's lack of franchise familiarity until the cows come home, but he somehow managed to read my mind.

(Oh, wait. Was that you, Bob Orci? Shucks!)

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Obviously they have ridges.

The Klingon look was never standardized in the TOS movies and were continually updated. In TMP, they all had the same sort of standardized ridge, a sort of spine extention, coming over the forehead and ending with (if I'm remembering right) a hooked nose.

In STIII, the look was altered. The ridges were made less severe, with designs unique to each character. The hooked nose was done away with. Female Klingons had very smooth almost human heads.

It changed again for Star Trek IV and V. The foreheads were once again made standardized with all the Klingons having the same basic forehead, similar to TMP but with much smaller ridges. Actually they weren't ridges so much as dimples or indentations of each side of the forehead "spine." If you look at the Klingon ambassador, Captain Klaa, and the fat Klingon from Nimbus III, they all have the same forehead designs. The hooked nose was still gone.

STVI made bigger changes. The Klingon ambassador kept his look, but all the other Klingons sported wide variations in forehead designs. Some ridges were severe, others very smooth. Still no hooked nose.

TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT: TNG brought back the hooked nose with Worf and all subsequent Klingons on all the spinoffs. Although, as pointed out, Worf's own looks changed many times over the years. Female Klingons got a massive makeover to more closely resemble the males than they did in the TOS films.

JJ Trek: New Klingon look. Bald, ridged, and with kooky contacts.

And that doesn't even take into account the original Klingon look of TOS.

The point is, the Klingon look has always been evolving.

15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I personally LOVED the Klingon redesign present in the film, but to each their own.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I had been hoping J.J. would toss in at least one smooth-headed Klingon in order to pay tribute to the typical warrior appearance in the mid-23rd century as seen in TOS and explained in Season 4 of Enterprise (and who knows, even the Abramsverse Klingons have smooth headed warriors but we just didn't see them, that or in the new timeline the Empire had managed to cure the Antaak viral mutation of the 2150s at some point before the new film takes place), but I completely understand why he went with the more fierce and alien look that fans have come to expect since TMP hit theaters more than a generation ago. Besides, it just looks cool and pretty much always has.

This was the most intimidating and downright scary that Klingons have looked since the very first film and the battle cruiser crews destroyed by V'Ger. Kudos to Abrams for making the Empire creepy and threatening again.

Shaggy Biker Dude warriors in Viking armor got a little bit stale.

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I didn't like the ships.

Well I don't mean I didn't like them, but they looked a little small. I guess they could be out dated versions sold to a house or gang, I mean they didn't have to be KDF did they?

18. cooleddie74

I wasn't the biggest fan of the D4 attack craft design myself, but then even the Beebs in Enterprise introduced the Raptor-class scout ship ("Sleeping Dogs") that didn't exactly look great nor fit in with a smooth design lineage. And in "Bounty" when the Tellarite bounty hunter captures Archer to turn him over to the Empire the Klingons in that episode are aboard one of the most unusual looking Klingon ships ever seen in the entire history of the franchise.

Klingons are simply an empire with a very wide variety of small, medium-sized and large vessels of varying designs and influences. Some look more like we'd expect after 45 years of episodes and films, others not so much.

19. cooleddie74

To this day, this remains my all-time favorite Klingon look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These guys still give me the heebie jeebies. They were even creepier than V'Ger.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want Lursa and B'etor style lady Klingons.