The STXI Enterprise... REFIT!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, Sep 2, 2011.

1. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Hehe, thanks. :) I'll try to post a WIP render. :D

Hmm... if I start heading in that direction, though, temptation would be too strong to emulate even more of the original Refit, wouldn't it?

-Ricky

2. knowthyself

knowthyself Commander Red Shirt

god, I wish we had a real one to fly around in

3. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, I'd feel lucky if we even had something with technology equivalent to the ENT era/Masao's early Starfleet Museum era. At the rate we're going, we'll be lucky if we have manned missions outside the Solar System 50 years from now, and chances has it, well have to wait 100 years till we finally have true interstellar vessels, or at least intra-system transports that can traverse the solar system like a ship can travel the seas.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

We'll be very lucky if we have manned missions to the outer solar system in 50 years.

5. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At the rate we're going, so very true. In theory, we have the technology to do so, if we really wanted to, as in a Saturn or Bust attitude, but I doubt that the chances of a safe voyage and return are all that particularly high.

A nuclear generator would provide enough power, and if hooked up to a powerful enough propulsion system, enough thrust, and a hydroponics bay would provide the necessary oxygen and food. Having centrifugal sections will help with preventing the muscles of astronauts from atrophying (at least too much).
    I'm still worried about micro-meteors. Having the ship made out of nano-carbon tubules might help, but this alloy can only be made in a zero-gravity environment, so we would need factories in orbit. So that would be expensive, granted that whatever company manages to accomplish making these facilities at the time that space travel becomes popular enough is probably going to make a lot of money.

And then there is radiation. Radiation in my opinion is one of those last annoying hurdles that is in the way of making standard space travel safely feasible. It isn't bad enough that the sun constantly sends out radiation that can damage our genetic material, but, as Leonard McCoy said in Star Trek, a solar flare could crop up, and cook you in your seat. One of the final things we will need to do is to be able to generate a shield that can filter out all radiation, which is something that is currently being researched.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Oh, I wasn't talking about whether we could go there, but rather the chances that we will go there in the next 50 years.

7. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Art-Deco stile nacells don't seem to do it for me...I like your page one design better. The only thing I would change is to delete the lower of the double scoops and I think you've nailed it (again). And kept the line of JJ's original and given a nod to the movie era "Big E" as well... Good stuff sir!

8. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I also wouldn't mind seeing the rear of the nacelles pivoted down to help reduce the optical illusion of the droopy hangar bay.

9. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

No, it's the hangar bay that should be changed.

10. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I would like to see in a "refit" before any major detailing changes are made:
    - Straighten the struts, thereby widening the nacelles.
    - Line up the centerline of the nacelles with the horizontal plane of the primary hull, for the above stated reason.
    -Slide the engineering hull and neck back, relative to the PH, nacelles and struts, so there is no undercut in the nape. There is an illusion that the PH is "squashed down" on to the neck; that undercut contributes to that.

11. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

One thing that has occurred to me is that the more complicated curves in newer models often result in some ungainly angles and "illusions."

12. Science Officer

Science Officer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Lol - half a year later and we're still talking about that drooping rear! Why, when I was a lad ..... (back in post 27 on page 2). It's an itch I'd like to see scratched, but MadMan appears to have moved on to his extremely good-looking Pixar starships!

13. knowthyself

knowthyself Commander Red Shirt

it seems to me that anything is better that the jjprise we got. I stayed spoiler free for the film knowing that I was going to see it anyway. The only thing that I accidentally "spoiled" myself on was in seeing the ship ahead of time. Well, this beautiful one anyway...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://conservativedialysis.com/~mnick/wp/images/new_enterprise_lrg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://conservativedialysis.com/~mnick/wp/index.php/2009/05/18/movie-review-star-trek/&h=1080&w=1920&sz=303&tbnid=qz5eXWpPl5AJvM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=160&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dnew%2Benterprise%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=new+enterprise&docid=KidutPfdxGZ2KM&sa=X&ei=6vxcT87XI9OG0QGtq9ivDw&ved=0CFsQ9QEwBQ&dur=2833

so imagine my surprise when I saw the jjprise. Keep working OP. Give us something to love.

14. MadMan1701A

Hey guys...

I haven't stopped working on this guy... I definitely plan to finish it this summer. :)

In regards to the "drooping" shuttlebay... it still doesn't look that way to me, especially in the regular 3d views. I can see what you guys are talking about in the side ortho, though. :)

I think I'm going to go 2 different directions on this one... I'm going to finish my new engine design, and detail the secondary hull. Then, I'll have another variant, using my red engines, giving me 3 different Constitution class variants to play with. :)

What do you guys think? That also means I get to use both ship names I picked out. :D

-Ricky

15. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Summer! (Gasp!) Well, a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do...(Sniff...)

16. MadMan1701A

Well, I meant to say finished "by" summer... since that's when the baby will be here. :)

-Ricky

17. Ranger

Ranger Cadet Newbie

I like this. The deflector really came out nice. It's color come real close to the Original Refit Deflector. I like the reddish color of the Bussards better than the blue. The best thing IMHO is the straightened Nacelle Struts. The curved ones bothered me, they put the Nacelles too close together and made the ship look unbalanced. Now the beefed up Warp Engines seem to fit better.
    Great work!

18. MadMan1701A

Hey guys... I finally managed to finish these things. :)

I never did decide which version of the refit I liked better, I so made them two separate variants. The Challenger, with the red nacelles, made me think of a Dodge Challenger the other day... I'm not sure what it was that created the thought, but the name stuck. :)

The newest one, with the totally new nacelles, got named Endevour. I figured that fit, since I had an Enterprise and Challenger already. :) I went with a teal color on the engines there because it was different, and it matches the color of the sensor dome on the saucer.

Well, here they are, in order of technological progression. Enterprise didn't get changed any, I just fixed it up in the new format...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that those are out of the way, I'm going to re-visit Reliant, and get it updated with the better looking parts. :)

So, what do y'all think?

-Ricky

saddestmoon likes this.
  19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty Ortho's :) :adore: