They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I would guess Green Arrow will be out if the tv show is a success. They have a history of embargoing between media.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Not necessarily. I know that Nolan and co were protective of Batman and thus we had no Bruce Wayne in Smallville. But that show was still on the air while Superman Returns was in production and in the cinema.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

God, I hope so, since Storm was completely wasted in X-Men.

I think the best way to sum up a hero is by what they do. Show them in action. Show them saving innocents, show what powers they use to do it, show their attitude and personality as they do it, show what roles they play within the team. Then follow them back to HQ and show their personalities in more depth through their interplay.

As for origins, I consider those optional. Every character has a past that shapes their actions, but not every story that introduces a new character has to explain where that character came from. We didn't get an "origin story" for Indiana Jones until the third movie and the spinoff TV series. We didn't get an origin story for James Bond until 44 years into the film franchise. Where a character came from is only important inasmuch as it informs their behavior and values now. You could show that in dialogue without flashbacks. Have Clark and J'onn have a conversation about being the last of their respective species and what it feels like to be aliens on Earth, with the differences in their perspectives coming from the differences in their histories, with Clark growing up among humans and J'onn coming to Earth as an adult. Have Barry give Hal a chewing out about how his arrogant attitude and space-cop perspective blind him to the concerns of the street-level civilians that Barry, as a crime-lab tech, has to face on a regular basis, and maybe throw in some Aladdin jokes about his magic lantern and ring. Have Diana comment on how much simpler things were back on Themyscira, growing up with the Amazons. Maybe have Hal and Bruce comment on their mutual skepticism about Diana's claims of being a product of Greek gods and myths. That way, you're revealing backstory at the same time you're doing the more important job of revealing character.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your point is well taken. However I felt I should acknowledge we'd gone off topic and give us a chance to get back to it.

Interesting. I had a similar idea after the Singer Superman movie. Had the movie been better received, but given the need to move forward in some way other than 'Superman and Son,' I thought the sequel could have been 'Superman: Justice League,' with Clark as a newcomer to a team of familiar heroes (including Flash, GL and WW) preparing for an attack by Brainiac. Then they could spin off those heroes into their own films.
    At the risk of getting off topic again, after 'Thor,' i don't understand why WB can't see that a full blown myth based WW couldn't work.

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I'd be happier if they just brought back the animated version.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm honestly kind of amazed he hasn't directed one yet. He seems to be pretty popular in the geek community, and he's had at least some success with movies, and he's written some popular comics.
    We kind of got a little bit of this in The New Frontier. We did get origin stories for J'onn and Hal, but Batman, Flash, Superman, and Wonder Woman were all already active, and our introductions to them were seeing them in action. I thought it worked pretty well in this case, but I guess the creators of that probably had a lot more confidence in their audiences familiarity with the characters than a big Hollywood film's creators might. Honestly, at this point, I'm over the origin story. I think the vast majority of characters origins could probably be covered in 5 or 10 minutes. For me what a character does with their powers is a lot more important than how they got them.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What do you mean bring back? The show ended. Everyone has moved on.:rommie:

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Probably Kevin's biggest drawback is that he's pretty much anti-Hollywood. The movies he has done for a Hollywood studio (and not has own) he's expressed some frustration with, though he is able to work under their constraints.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I've never heard about that before.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, whenever he's worked under a major studio the constraints have proven to be too much for him. Again, he's able to meet their demands and "Cop Out" for example he was able to pull in under budget but he's made it clear how anti-Hollywood he is and how he prefers to work on his own material on his own schedule.

I think he's also expressed that he's pretty much "retired" from movie making. It is a shame though because I think he could certainly do a JLA script but, at the same time, his "talents" as a director -with all due respect to him- are limited and may not suit a big-budget action movie.

But if anyone in the "Geek community" could pull off a decent story he probably could. His Batman books were good and, honestly, his Superman Lives! script isn't too bad, again, considering the constraints and requirements put on him.

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Kevin Smith had been signed to write and direct Green Hornet, but dropped out because he didn't feel he was up to the task of directing a film with a large budget.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If big budget movies bother him then he really shouldn't be doing Justice League.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was an early contender for the Daredevil movie and turned it down saying he didn't think he could direct action.

Cop Out would seem to have proven him correct

14. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

The Justice League doesn't need an origin story, just start the movie with them already together. Even if you've never read a comic, you're already going to know who these people are. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman; the Flash to a certain extent, maybe Green Lantern. As Christopher said, the rest can be easily figured out as you go along. Yeah, they're the Super Friends. So what? They've gotten a shout-out on The Big Bang Theory almost every week for years now. This is DC's great advantage over Marvel, they don't need to set up the characters with solo movies in advance. Just go for it. They're the goddamn Justice League.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

And his Green arrow run was very good.

But honestly if I was a studio chief, I am not putting Kevin Smith in charge of a 200 million dollar picture with a locked in opening date.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Would you have hired Joss Whedon to direct Avengers in the first place?

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not his competency or professionalism, it's the lads speed.

Have you tried to buy comics off this fatass?

Years can go by between issues.

I mean sure he has priorities.

but looking back...

Getting my green Arrow comics on time or Jersy Girl?

Fuck Jersy Girl.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I agree that decades of cartoons have done a lot of the heavy lifting here. And most of the characters don't require a lot of exposition for newbies.

The Flash: he can run really fast.
    Green Lantern: he has a magic ring from outer space.
    Wonder Woman: she's from a magic island of warrior women.
    Cyborg: he had an accident; now he's part robot.

And I'd skip Martian Manhunter. You don't really need him and Superman. Plus, Hollywood is skittish of Mars these days. (Remember "John Carter"?)

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It'll pretty much be the first X-men movie all over again. All of the characters outside of Wolverine didn't really matter much.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they'll probably just call him Manhunter. As far as the average studio dickhead is concerned, the failure of Mars Needs Moms means that PEOPLE HATE MARS HERP DERP.

( Speaking of the term "Manhunter", that coincidentally relates to an earlier occurrence of this phenomenon. Because Year of the Dragon underperformed, Manhunter wasn't called Red Dragon like it should have been. PEOPLE HATE THE WORD DRAGON HERP DERP. )