Dark Souls 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Robert Maxwell, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I'm waiting for the PC MASTER RACE version but this just came out for consoles a few days ago. Anyone here playing it? If not, you should. I mean, what's wrong with you?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flZRFVRU3dY[/yt]

Actual gameplay:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JFDPCtXFY#start=0:00;end=12:26;cycles=-1;autoreplay=false;showoptions=false[/yt]

For those not in the know, this is the series that is famous for being unforgivingly difficult and one in which you are bound to die a lot. But if you played the last game, you know how fun and rewarding it is. :techman:

I think you can pick up the previous game pretty cheaply now. Be warned that the PC port of Dark Souls isn't that great and is virtually unplayable without a gamepad, though.

DS2 comes out for PC April 25th.

2. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I'm currently playing the PC MASTER RACE version on my living-room gaming PC.

With DSFix installed, it's actually a perfect port. It looks positively gorgeous rendered in native 1080p on our huge LED TV and plays fantastically with my 360 gamepad.

Looking forward to trying out DS2 :techman:

3. Robert Maxwell

That's true, DSFix makes it a lot better.

4. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I snagged the first one on the Steam sale for like 6 bucks. I have Demon's Souls on PS3 but didn't play it more than an hour. I'm sure I'd love these games but DS2 is going to have to wait for bargain bin treatment as well. I'm a little obsessive about playing stuff in order, so even though I suppose Demon's Souls is technically a different franchise I feel like I need to start there.

Right now I'm so addicted to Titanfall the backlog is only getting longer. I just looked up the developer since I never got into these Souls games and wanted a little more background. They did King's Field? I loved that game back in the day. Got stuck though and never finished. I'm glad they stayed afloat and seem to have perfected that style of RPG. My interest is definitely a bit more piqued now than when I loaded up this thread.

5. Robert Maxwell

No one ever says Demon's Souls is worth playing, and each DS games stands on its own. I think you can be forgiven this one time. ;)

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't played a Dark Souls game yet, but what's wrong with Demon's Souls?

7. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Nothing. It's a great game.

I'd agree with Robert insofar as it isn't required to play Demon's Souls before Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 in terms of story.

In terms of gameplay though it is certainly well worth playing!

8. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, I'm not saying Demon's Souls is bad (I haven't played it so I don't know), but that if you're going to bother, you might as well go with Dark Souls or DS2.

9. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, okay. I understand you now. When you said "No one ever says Demon's Souls is worth playing" I thought you meant that people hated the game.

10. Robert Maxwell

No, just more that it's been eclipsed by Dark Souls, so it seems almost redundant to play it now. Sorry! :)

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

27 hours into Dark Souls, Gaping Dragon is down and I'm having the time of my life.

About to become my 2014's 2011 Game of the Year, I'm calling it. :techman:

12. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also just started playing Dark Souls. I have died a lot. I think I'm getting the hang of it, though.

It's weirdly addicting. Each time I die, I just start going again and before you know it the weekend is over.

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Sitting at work, thinking 'bout some Souls. Man, I could really go for some right about now.

14. Robert Maxwell

It really gets into your head, doesn't it?

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Yeah it does. Goddamnit.

I mean, I knew fully well what I was getting into after watching the guys at Giant Bomb playing and talking about it, but still... damn.

16. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I really want to get into it. Too bad I suck and can't get more than an hour out of blight town :(

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I'm assuming you're done in Undead Burg/Parish and kinda frustrated in Blighttown right now?

Remember to bring enough anti-poison/curse mosses if you didn't already do that.

Also, there's a helpful second way into Blighttown via Drake Valley (if you have the Master Key). It's a lot shorter and less frustrating that way if you're trying to get to Quelaag to ring the second bell.

18. Robert Maxwell

This game comes out Friday for PC, just so you all know.