DS9 deserved a movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Xzpezer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

According to what I've heard, Syfy did a better Dune movie than the Hollywood Dune movie. Plus it has done tons of Stargate and Galactica stuff post-series. I was thinking more along those lines.

The main arc of DS9 finished and wrapped up pretty clearly but it left a lot of 'What happened next?' questions open. Like, I think it'd possibly make a great DS9/Voyager crossover miniseries if the Borg attacked the Dominion and they came to the Federation asking for help.

Think about it, first scene opens. A gem'hadar ship is hurtling toward the wormhole, heavily damaged. It seems to be behaving aggressively, so they send the Defiant out to make sure it doesn't pose a threat. When they hail it and get no response, they prepare to disable it. Suddenly, a borg sphere appears. The Defiant proceeds to attack the borg sphere. The gem'hadar ship jettisons a small escape pod, which scans show to be empty, then it sets a suicide run toward the borg sphere, which along with the Defiant's attack on it destroys it. They bring the escape pod aboard, wondering why they would send an empty escape pod, and suddenly the escape pod morphs into Odo.

2. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Another Borg movie would be... unfortunate. Especially after Voyager destroyed the Transwarp Network in 'Homecoming'. That seems to preclude another Borg attack in any reasonable time frame.

The DS9 movie would have to be a contrived threat ala Insurrection/Nemesis which I don't think would advance the franchise at all. Personally I don't think a movie would add anything to a very well done series. And the way action movies are done nowadays would take away from the gravitas the series had.

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I agree, and I think that a reboot with those two (despite the failure of After Earth-which I still want to see) would work, since Will Smith is still a powerful Afro-American film star.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is turning into a spectacular example of why fans shouldn't be allowed to write movies.

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1 2 3 4 6 I would all call good. I don't consider Generations a TOS movie. Including Kirk and co dragged the movie down.

6. jimbotron

Based on what we've gotten from John Logan, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, I agree. ;)

7. Shaka Zulu

'NuUhura' and 'NuCarol' were the best versions of either character than ever existed, and as such were the reason that the two movie were a big success; there's no need for you or any other fan of DS9 to be so dismissive of either character, especially considering how Kira Nerys might not be so popular with the wider populace that's seen the two movies in theaters and on DVD (for my part, I'll always love Kira, but I don't see why she has to be elevated over Carol and Uhura-all of these ladies are competent and tough [when they need to be] in their own ways, even if Carol and Uhura seem-to some people-to be defined by their famous boyfriends.)

Speaking of Carol and Uhura, next movie they should be involved together in a mission in one part of the film where they're together in a shuttle doing something (or on their way to something ordered by Captain Kirk) and they talk about something mission specific not related to a man or their respective boyfriends.

Excuse me? Both films were successful at the box office, were critically acclaimed and popular with the general public, and worked a lot better than what John Logan came up with; the objections seem to be on your end as a butthurt fan, not anybody else in the general public.

8. jimbotron

You assume too much about what I think. I love ST'09 and STID, but there are issues with the script, which can be linked to the fact that it was written by a couple fans. There's nothing necessarily wrong with fans writing Trek scripts, but there's a big difference between the approach outsiders like Meyer/Bennett take, and the approach Kurtzman/Orci take. ST'09/STID at times reads like fan fiction.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

ST09 and STD scripts are just as bad as the Nemesis script. The execution saved them.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

A new threat would only seem 'Contrived' if the writing was bad.

Now, fair enough, they would probably hire a bad writer for the task, but they don't have to.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    The Dune/Children of Dune miniseries were spectacular in many ways, with the exception of a couple of the actors. William Hurt was worse than flat cardboard as Duke Leto. That's one way in which the Lynch movie was far superior: Jurgen Prochnow was Duke Leto - he hit every nuance of the character exactly right; it's like he stepped right out of the novel and came to life. It's a little harder to compare some of the other characters, since the miniseries had different actors for some of them. I liked Everett McGill as Stilgar better than either of the miniseries actors. But both the miniseries and the Lynch movie had problems with some of the fundamentals of the movie, such as stillsuits, and the Sardaukar still had ridiculous costumes.

Basically, both versions of Dune had their good points and bad points, and there are things that one did better than the other. The miniseries did a lot to flesh out the character of Irulan. I never thought of considering her as anything other than one of the villains until seeing how she was presented there.

Original Carol projected a tough attitude about Genesis, but honestly - how many fans tend to think of her as the mother of Kirk's only-known son, rather than as a scientist in her own right?

12. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Instead of the tedious "Nemesis," I would have loved a movie that included the casts of both TNG and DS9.

And while I liked "Insurrection," I felt cheated that the Dominion War was so easily dismissed in it. Really, one of the most powerful ships in Starfleet off doing duck blind and archeological missions and mediating petty disputes in the middle of a life and death war involving forces from three quadrants of the galaxy???????

???????????????????????????????????????????

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Carol was very much a plot device to give Kirk an adult son that we've never known about. Her being a scientist and co-creator of Genesis was only a footnote in her role in TWOK. NuCarol won't be remembered for much other than her unnecessary underwear scene.

Uhura was never used to any full potential due to the era in which TOS was made, her mere presence was enough of an impact to many, but she showed herself to be a warm and friendly woman with strength. NuUhura has turned my favourite character of TOS into something thoroughly unpleasant. All of the new things added to her role and added screen time are all focused on her and Spock, can't think of much that isn't.

Any of the female characters on DS9 (Kira, Jadzia, Ezri, Kasidy, Winn, even Leeta) had more development and depth than any of the female characters in the latest films.

14. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't forget the scream!

True, but that is probably due more to DS9 being a series rather than a film. The TNG women got some good scenes in the four movies, but I don't think there was much development. Sirtis' work on Nemesis (the Viceroy subplot) was quite good, but it didn't add much to the characters development. It was Violations redux. Perhaps that would be different if the focus were on one of the other series' "crews" (which were less male-heavy at the top), but I would tend to think it would be more because of the work done by the series rather than by the film itself.

15. JarodRussell

What scream?

16. Shaka Zulu

Said scene was to show how wrong Kirk is in treating women, and is actually a great scene (from the way that Carol Marcus says 'Turn around' we get that Kirk learns that Carol is not like the other ladies and won't put up with this bullshit that he likes to do; thereby, Kirk leans not to do this to women ever again.

Care to elaborate? All that I (and the average moviegoer) saw was a lady who's a lover and a competent officer living life and going about her job quite well, albeit with some issues to work out beween her and her boyfriend this time aaround.

And outside of fandom, not many people know (or remember) those ladies that well, I'll bet. Whereas they do know who Nyota and Carol are, and respond to the way they are in the movie.

What of it? She was terrified, as anybody mioght be in that situation.

The women did little than just react to things, and set up Stewart, Spiner and Frakes. Contrast this with the new movies, in which both of the female characters are proactive and are more part of the plot than the TNG ladies were (being raped like Troi was was beyond ridiculous; at least Carol Marcus had a funny scene designed to show how Kirk has to change how he sees women.)

17. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

All I am saying is that we should not forget the other cliche she represents.

18. Shaka Zulu

^ I see what you mean.

19. JarodRussell

I still remember the woman screaming in First Contact in the Jeffries tube. That was so nicely done, because we didn't hear her actual scream, we only heard the soundtrack (brilliantly done by either Joel or Jerry Goldsmith).

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If I saw someone pop my father's head like an egg I'd probably scream too, even if I was on the outs with him at the time.