Disney's Frozen - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptainCanada, Nov 30, 2013.

?

Your grade?

1. A+

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. A

22 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Now I'm wondering how many tots are already driving their parents nuts with this, not even counting the hordes that will be singing it this weekend...

3. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

At the Disney stockholders meeting today they announced Frozen 2: Electric Boogaloo

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Frozen 2 is officially HAPPENING!:eek:

https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/status/576077125301600257/photo/1

https://www.facebook.com/DisneyAnimation

John Lasseter confirms Frozen sequel

Kristen Bell cuddled some ice

[​IMG]

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Seen the short!

Seven minutes of magical sisterly cuteness!

I am much pleased... :D

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

My Frozen short review.

Frozen Fever was pretty much a cute music video, and the new song was thankfully good. It was great seeing all the Frozen characters again... now the sisters have new DRESSES! I love all the cameos from Oaken, Hans, and Marshmallow. All the scenes with the Snowgies were fun. Best part was hearing the squeals of delight coming from the children in the audience when the short began.

I also loved Cinderella. Posted my movie review in the Cinderella topic.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw Cinderella and the short today. It was a lot of fun.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Frozen Fever is being released on Bluray in August with a few other shorts

[​IMG]

This Bluray release was going to be called the "Disney John Lasseter Shorts Collection" until Disney found out that kids didn't know who the HELL John Lasseter was, so Disney put Anna and Elsa on the cover and the words FROZEN and called it a day! ;)

Here is the complete list:

John Henry (2000)
    Lorenzo (2004)
    The Little Matchgirl (2006)
    How to Hook Up Your Home Theater (2007)
    Prep and Landing: Operation Secret Santa (2010)
    Tick Tock Tale (2010)
    The Ballad of Nessie (2011)
    Tangled Ever After (2012)
    Paperman (2012)
    Get a Horse (2013)
    Feast (2014)
    Frozen Fever (2015)

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I can't find the link now, but I saw it reported a couple days ago that Frozen Fever is going to start playing all day at Disney's Hollywood Studios in the ABC Sound Theater where the Rebels preview is currently playing.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might have to check that out. I don't think I've seen any of those other than Frozen Fever and Paperman.

12. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't noticed this thread before.

I have a number of criticisms of Frozen. Firstly, it just wasn't a very interesting story at all. The songs are great but the story that links them together was quite dull and unengaging.

My main issue however, is the bleak message that Disney is peddling here. Essentially, it's along the lines of....don't just fall in love with anyone, they might turn out to be a dick. Since when were Disney in the business's of teaching children about the relentless, boot in the face, misery of the real world and it's non-magical moral ambiguities and complexities? Isn't that a message we should be saving for slightly older children?

Let the foolish younger midgets play on their rainbows with talking unicorns for a few years first before you unleash the machine gun of realism into their doe eyed faces. I can't decide if this is an horrific and depressing turn of events in the history of Disney or if it's actually a brilliant idea to start crushing their fragile dreams early (the sooner they learn, the better off they'll be).

Additionally, that message completely ruins the song "Love is an open door." The whole song is about embracing love, being "open" to love, being willing to trust and take chances. Once we discover that Hans is a throbbing globule of dickishness though, the song's sentiment is completely undermined. Love should NOT be an open door. It should stay closed at all times. Remember not to trust anyone kids, they'll probably hurt you (especially if they're charismatic)

Then we have those damn malignant trolls.

Hey trolls, can you give us some advice about how to help our daughter?
    Yeah sure, lock her up in a room and keep her sister away from her.
    Thanks trolls
    You're welcome

Are they the bad guys? What the hell! The more you analyse their involvement, the more you want to smack them with plank of wood.

Essentially, what you have here is some fantastic, catchy songs that are strung together by what is actually a rancid, decaying corpse of a story infused with some very bleak ideas about the deceitful lies created by those fakers, magic and romance. Embrace the cold, sharp, penetrating blade of the real world, kids. Eventually, someone will probably hurt you.

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The wife watched this the other night. It was OK, mostly, but no How To Train Your Dragon.

In general I'd say vastly overrated, rather than actually bad - the kids' singing at the start was annoying, Olaf needs an electric heating element shoved up him.... Nice that it undermines the whole Disney princess/Prince Charming thing, but Brave already did that...

14. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

And TPATF did it before Brave. With the Prince not being some noble hero, and instead being a spoiled brat. It's the Princess who is the take charge one and is the one who rescues herself.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Oh, wow! That's been said a bunch of times in this thread, but now that you're saying it, I finally see the error of my ways! Curse You, Frozen! Curse you and your dull unengagingness for sucking me in!

:rolleyes:

the story is fine. If you weren't engaged you were looking for something you shouldn't have been looking for in a Disney movie.

The hell are you talking about? Where are you getting the message is don't love anyone? At worst it's "Don't marry the first a-hole you run into," which is pretty sound advice. That's not the same as "don't love." And that's not the sentiment the characters acted on. Anna found love after all with Kristoff and the love between her and her sister was reaffirmed.

What machine gun of realism? It's a movie with a talking snowman and a woman who builds entire ice palaces with gestures and Broadway style singing.

Again, Anna opened the door up to love when she found The Right Person. Nothing about the movie says "Absolutely Don't Love anyone Ever!"

All head Troll said was "Let's remove the magic." He didn't say "Imprison both your daughters for thirteen years or until the blonde one gets her shit together." Any stupidity of that kind is on the parents.

There is something seriously wrong with you...

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the whole thing with Hans was just kind of playing with the whole Prince Charming, instant true love kind of thing we got in a lot of the other Disney movies, that was all. I really don't think there was anything against falling in love in general, just the old fashioned instant true love.

17. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad I could help. Some people say what's the point posting but as you've just proved, sometimes you really can get through and change people's minds. I'm happy I helped you see the flaws in Frozen and.....

Wait, was that sarcasm?

Aww man

Firstly, I didn't say the message was "don't love anyone". I said the message was "don't just fall in love with anyone." The message is entirely unnecessary for little kids. You're asking them to embrace a concept that is idiotic to them.

Secondly, it's ok to fall in love with the second man you meet?

For a five year old?

Exactly, so why insert the message that you shouldn't just fall in love with anyone; you should be more discerning. What it is the point of that message for a five year old?

And again, that's not what I said. I said the movie is pushing a message that you should be careful who you love because they might be wrong for you, bad, hiding something, a dick etc. Fine, but why does a five year old need to hear that message? What is the point of it? You might as well ask them not to believe in fairies. The song about love being an open door is sung between Hans and Anna so when Hans turns out to be a dick, the message of the song is clearly undermined. The message then becomes love should not be an open door. Love being an open door is risky and you should be more cautious about opening that door because look what happens when you're not.

Why teach that to a child? No seriously, i'm asking. Why do Disney think that particular message is a good thing? Is it their idea of being modern, progressive? What?

The trolls sanctioned their behaviour and clearly encouraged them down that road. Bad little trolls. Also, what was the point of them? They contributed nothing. We take away the magic....but actually we don't.

There are many things seriously wrong with me.........but i'm still right.

When did love at first sight become a target worth undermining? Children should believe in that crap, shouldn't they?

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly don't really have that much of an opinion on the matter, I was just sharing my interpretation of the movie. I don't know if they were even really to send a message so much as just turning an old Disney Princess trope on it ear. Not everything has to have some deep message or lesson, something things are just done for fun.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really no. Not when scumbags like Hans exist in real life.

20. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Ah yes, blindly falling into love with someone you barely know might be a bad idea. Truly a lesson too terrible to teach such young children. Much better to teach them such things as:

* Your mother might be lying to you and secretly an abusive old woman who kidnapped you as a baby.
    * Your uncle might want to kill your dad to take over your family.
    * Your family might be envious of you and want to enslave/kill you.

Much more suitable for the young'uns.

:rolleyes:

Seriously? Ever heard of "Stranger Danger"? Literally aimed at 5 year olds.