Two-offs: Crew members appearing in only two episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by BoredShipCapt'n, Jan 23, 2013.

1. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How many of these characters were there in TOS? Kevin Riley was one, but I'm sure there were others.

Actors like David Ross and Eddie Paskey can count if they played the same character exactly twice.

2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Ross and paskey layed the same character many times.

Lt Hansen-Hagen Beggs= two-off

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I suppose it would be cheating to count characters who were in both "The Cage" and "The Menagerie."

Let's see, searching through my old pencil-and-paper list of Enterprise crew, and double-checking with Memory Alpha...

• Lt. DePaul (Sean Kenney): navigator/helmsman, "Arena," "A Taste of Armageddon"
    • Lt. Hansen (Hagan Beggs): helmsman, "Court-martial," "The Menagerie"
    • Dr. M'Benga (Booker Bradshaw): doctor, "A Private Little War," "That Which Survives"
    • Lt. O'Neil (Sean Morgan): landing party member, "Return of the Archons;" transporter operator, "The Tholian Web"
    • Lt. Palmer (Elizabeth Rogers): communications, "The Doomsday Machine," "The Way to Eden"
    • Lt. Kevin Riley (Bruce Hyde): navigator/engineer, "The Naked Time," "The Conscience of the King"

Borderline cases:
    • Lt. Johnson -- David L. Ross only played a character by this name in "Day of the Dove," but was credited as Galloway in "Turnabout Intruder." Since Galloway died a season earlier, and since Ross's character was unnnamed in TI, I tend to assume this was Johnson's second appearance.
    • Angela Martine -- Barbara Baldavin was called "Angela" in "Balance of Terror" and "Shore Leave," but was called "Lisa" in "Turnabout Intruder." Still, some sources credit her as Martine in that episode. (She also appeared in deleted scenes from "Space Seed.")
    • Osborne (unknown performer) -- A security officer identified by name in "A Taste of Armageddon" and "The Devil in the Dark." The same extra appeared in "Return of the Archons" but was not named, so it's unclear whether he was Osborne, though Memory Alpha assumes he was.

4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used to wonder why minor supporting actors often show up again later with a different chacter name, when using the original name would work just as well. Like in "Shore Leave," Angela Martine became Angela Teller, for no apparent reason, and then she became Lisa in "Turnabout."

An answer came indirectly, when Walter Koenig talked about Khan recognizing Chekov in TWOK despite his not having been in "Space Seed." Koenig said was highly aware of the discrepancy, but never mentioned it on the set of the movie for fear that they would correct the oversight and thereby cut his role down to nothing.

I'll bet actors like Barbara Baldavin never kicked up a fuss about their character names because, for all they knew, the new name might be important to a producer, and the show might have a policy against actors returning in a different role. If that might be the case, the actor fears that speaking up and being too helpful could cost her the job.

5. Christopher

Actually it was normal in '60s-'70s TV for the same guest actor to appear several times in completely different roles. Star Trek was unusual for the time in giving returning guest actors the same character names -- by '60s standards, that was an exceptional degree of continuity.

The scripts, of course, were written before the day players like Barbara Baldavin were cast. The script for "Shore Leave" featured a character named Mary Teller. When Baldavin was cast in the role, someone remembered she'd previously played a character named Angela Martine, so they had the actor playing Rodriguez call her Angela instead of Mary. But Shatner didn't get the update, so he called her Teller as scripted. When she was brought back to play the character Lisa in "Turnabout," nobody remembered or cared about Angela Martine, so they didn't change the name.

6. BoredShipCapt'n

I'm sure I once read somewhere (pre-Internet) the in-story explanation that Janice-as-Kirk got Angela's name wrong when calling her Lisa, but Angela didn't want to correct the Captain. I don't think it was in Blish... racking my brain to remember what book that was in.

7. Christopher

It wasn't Blish; the adaptation puts Uhura in the place of "Lieutenant Lisa."

The Star Trek Concordance lists Baldavin's character as "Angela" and says that Lester-as-Kirk calls her Lisa by mistake, which is probably what you're thinking of. But Trimble gave "Angela" a separate entry from Angela Martine, apparently considering them different characters. That's weird. The character was officially billed simply as "Communications Officer," and is never called "Angela" at any point in the episode. Maybe Trimble saw some behind-the-scenes memo from someone suggesting that the character should be called Angela, but didn't realize why the suggestion was made.

8. BoredShipCapt'n

Thanks! I don't think I ever read the Concordance, but I think I had a copy of Asherman's Star Trek Compendium, which probably drew heavily on the Concordance.

9. Christopher

^That wouldn't explain it. The Compendium does call her "Communications Officer Angela," but doesn't say anything about Kirk-J getting her name wrong.

I think it must just be a meme that got out into fandom. I could almost swear I remember a scene of Kirk-J calling her Lisa and having her say "Angela, sir," but that never happened. (It's probably a mutated memory of Yeoman Smith's one line in the second pilot, correcting Kirk after he called her Jones.)