E Book help needed

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dstyer, Apr 17, 2014.

1. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

I am finally at a place in my life where I am willing to sit with a Star Trek e-book in addition to all the novels I have in the "dead tree" format. I am however a complete "noob" when it comes to the format.
    I do not have anything other than a generic tablet to use unless it is somehow possible to get the Star Trek e-books downloaded to my home computer or some account somewhere.
    Can anyone offer assistance other than to say "Get this or that name brand tablet..."?:confused:

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

What generic tablet do you have?

3. dstyer

Something called a NextBook I picked up at Wal-Mart. Got it for the kids. They know more about this stuff than I do.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Link

I've been using Calibre for years. Import all your files and then move them to the tablet through USB.

5. Thrawn

The NextBook runs on Android, so I think your easiest solution is to use Amazon.com, buy books in Kindle format, then put this on your tablet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=165849822

(If that link doesn't work from your tablet, then find the google play store from your tablet and search for "Kindle", it'll be there.)

If you feel really enthusiastic about ebooks, you can buy an actual Kindle device later on, and your books will all automatically transfer.

6. dstyer

Thanks. I was unaware of the ability to get Kindle format on this pad. Now I just need to compile a list of the e-only books I haven't read in the Star Trek line.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd suggest buying a Kindle. Not only is it utterly simple to get books, the screen is hugely better for text than a normal tablet.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

After owning two Nooks, I switched over a Nexus 7 and started using the Kindle app instead of the Nook one and honestly, I like the Kindle a lot better. Once I'm finshed with the books I bought on my last Nook, I'm going to be switching entirely to the Kindle app.
    So if it's between those two, I would recommend the Kindle app. You can also buy e-books from the Google Play store, which is the store Android app store, but I haven't tried that yet myself.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've got a Nook - it's rubbish. My Kindle is far superior.

I stand by getting an e-reader over a tablet though, it's a far better reading experience.

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say that Kindle has the more usable app, but Nook does a better job formatting the books (supporting hyphenation, higher-resolution images, and for older books better formatting). It really depends on what's important to you as a reader. :)

11. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I was originally against ebooks as I did not like looking at computer screen for too long but then I bought the kindle and just fell in love with it.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean... come on. He's already got one.

13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

For the few e-books I have, I've downloaded the Kobo app for the iPad, iPhone and desktop. Of course, here in Canada, from what I've heard, Kobo the biggest of the e-book readers/apps.

14. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a nook hd+ though I am gonna up grade to the samsung note this year :)

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

OK, any reader with e-ink beats any shiny screened tablet.

16. dstyer

A question I've found when looking into e-books. It appears that the Slings and Arrows e-book series are about $6 apiece but are only 1/4 the length of a standard novel. This means I'll be paying about $25 for a book and a half of reading. Are they worth it?

17. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Yes they are. Of course someone's going to come aong and say no, so the best thing to do is decide whether you're interested enough to go ahead and buy one anyway.

18. Thrawn

For what it's worth, I haven't read them yet myself; I think they're overpriced.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't notice the formatting much unless it hinders the reading experience, so user friendliness plays a bigger role for me.