Transformers: Animated returns

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bishbot, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know how many people were watching Transformers: Animated, but it returned for a third season on saturday with a special movie-length episode called "Transwarped" (really just the first three episodes stuck together).

It picked up straight after the cliff-hanger from the end of Season 2 ("A Bridge Too Close") and I was very impressed. It was the right combination of action-packed and plot-driven. The tone is kept consistently light, but there are some deeper moments, often in flashbacks to the great war and the characters continue to evolve - some literally.

And if you're a G1 fan and you like G1 homages - oh my - there's a raft of them in this, and even same homages to non-G1 characters, which is a rarity. (Hot Shot gets a cameo).

I won't go through the plot unless it turns out that people have seen it, for fear of spoilers, but, if you like Transformers at all, its well worth checking out.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if the show would ever come back. Anyway, I saw the first two parts and what they're doing with Sari is pretty fascinating stuff. I'm surprised that they made her so accepting of her situation though. I was also surprised to see a character called "Rodimus" who's supposed to be this show's version of Rodimus Prime. I hope we see more of him.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I missed it. I checked Zap2It for info on rebroadcasts, and it lists three half-hour showings of episodes called "Transwarped" on Friday the 27th and the following Monday and Tuesday at 6 AM. Would those be the three parts of the premiere?

4. Bishbot

Yeah he was great. In fact that first battle was just excellent - and also featured a cameo by an "Animated" version of Brawn, which was fun. As for Sari, that's probably a result of it being a kid's show - a kid with powers is kind of a wish fulfillment thing in this context - rather than an "oh God what's happening to me!?" scenario like it would be in real life.

I think they must be. I don't know if the parts have individual names but the whole "movie" was called "Transwarped".

5. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

I was impressed with "Transwarped" as well Bishbot:techman:

I loved all the G1 references. Any non-G1 references that went over my head due to my ignorance of non-G1 TFs is still gr:cool::cool:vy & I'm all for it. Tis'good for fanonuity:hugegrin:

I second Bishbot's call to TF aficionados to check out "Transwarped":bolian:

You won't be Sari:)

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironhide also made an appearance.

7. Bishbot

That's true, but he'd been in the show before, so I sort of forgot that he was a G1 reference - I love his Colossus like power though.

8. cb31

cb31 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My son loves this show and I think it's pretty good myself, have the first two seasons been released on DVD yet by any chance?

9. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Yes, both season one and two are on DVD.

The opening battle actually referenced a lot of different Generations. If you look at who was in it:

AUTOBOTS
    Rodimus (G1)
    Brawn (G1)
    Ironhide (G1)
    Hot Shot (Armada)
    Red Alert (G1-Armada hybrid reference)

DECEPTICONS
    Cyclonus (G1)
    Blackout (Movie 2007)
    Spittor (Beast Wars and RiD)
    Strika (Beast Machines)

The Cosmic Rust reference was awesome too!

I was also tickled that a Headmaster AND Action Master were referenced in the same sequence later on.

Awesome stuff indeed. :)

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey antone know if there are plans for appearances by Unicron or Glavatron.

11. Bishbot

Just a hunch, but I suspect they might avoid doing Unicron again so soon after the last few series, the so-called "Unicron Trilogy" of "Armada", "Energon" and "Cybertron" (those shows aren't as good as the rather evocative title suggests).

Galvatron, I reckon all bets are off.