The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto. I hit the high points and bought the characters I liked but I didn't get but about half of what was sold. I think right now I own around sixty figures? I am not sure what the count is at now. I also have some of the ships plus the E-D bridge and transporter playsets. (And those ships S-U-C-K-E-D.)

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I believe the last Playmates Trek figure I ever bought might have been the TOS/Tribble Koloth, and that was around 1999 at a discount store. After that I only sporadically saw Trek figures at retail and it wasn't until the magnificent Enterprise line debuted about three years later than any Trek toys caught my attention.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

With the original Playmates line, I stuck mainly to the regular cast members of the then four Trek shows, although I did pick up a few alien characters here and there. Their initial Enterprise-D and Deep Space Nine toys rocked as far details were concerned, and I definitely loved their role-play accessories, even if they were generally smaller (and in a few cases, bigger) than the ones used onscreen.

One thing about those original Playmates toys is that there were very few retail stores that didn't carry them. I even saw some at a local grocery store once.

4. cooleddie74

I can vouch for that. I once saw Playmates Trek figures in the toy aisle of a Kroger supermarket, right next to some '90s Power of the Force 2 Star Wars characters. That was a long time ago but chains like Kroger are known for stocking those kinds of toys on their pegs and shelves. Until not too long ago you could find fairly recent SW figures and those Comic Book series 2-packs at Krogers.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Finally, the February Club Infinite Earths figure arrived on my doorstep. This month brings us the eternal watcher and wanderer, the Phantom Stranger:
    [​IMG]

For a figure that is almost entirely re-use, I have to say not bad.

7. cooleddie74

8. OdoWanKenobi

Um...there was a pic in my post.

9. cooleddie74

Okay, I'm seeing it now. It didn't show up at first.

Very cool.

10. Admiral_Young

I can't believe I'm debating about getting the Pandora figure. I don't think much of her as a character or plot device, but the sculpt is just brilliant looking IMO.

11. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Playmates lost the license to do Star Trek before they could release an Ezri Dax. I wish they'd had her, Damar, and Weyoun...and Nog in his Starfleet uniform.

12. cooleddie74

It would also have been nice to get Odo in his tuxedo from the finale scene where he returns to join the Great Link. Also, Kira in a Starfleet commander's uniform.

13. OdoWanKenobi

14. cooleddie74

Yeah, I saw that over on one of the collecting sites. He's amazing!

15. cooleddie74

An amusing revelation about Max Rebo after all these years that could very well affect how his next action figure or other collectibles are designed and produced.

So I guess he was the 1982 puppet version of the Dugs and Sebulba and just looked a certain way because nothing was ever seen from the torso down.

16. OdoWanKenobi

Huh. Time to start the campaign for a new "accurate" Max Rebo, then? We did see some more of Rebo's species in the original Clone Wars cartoon, though. They had four limbs there. So I guess the two limb thing just isn't canon.

17. cooleddie74

Yeah, the Clone Wars thing came to my mind as well. If what we actually see on-screen trumps the unseen portion of a thirty-year-old puppet then this might not even be much of an issue (unless, of course, Lucasfilm decides there are two different kinds of Ortolans....the two-legged, two-armed variety and the one that has just two limbs, and as we know from some other species in sci-fi/fantasy that's at least somewhat possible).

Either way, I don't think a new Max Rebo Band is on Hasbro's to-do list anytime in the near future.

18. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Wow, that's a fascinating article. I'd honestly never thought about the early figures and tie-in art that have been established as being inaccurate (unintentionally), since Max does look like we only really see the top half and his legs resemble arms. Interesting! :D

19. cooleddie74

And, of course, Max's legs looked like arms and hands with fingers because the guy inside the puppet manipulated them with his arms and hands with fingers. You can see it in the original "Lapti Nek" musical sequence from the 1983 edition of Return of the Jedi. He points, sways and jabs the digits as though they were hands.

And let's face it, they look like hands!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0LD-QAzg0[/yt]

20. Admiral_Young

Good news and bad news. Bad news is that I didn't pick up the Enterprise-E (i didn't quite have enough as I thought I would have, but they're holding it for me for two weeks until I come back). Good news is that I picked up Arkham City Talia Al Ghul. Takes forever to get her to stand on her heels, and there's a bit of paint leak from her hair onto her forehead, but other than that I like her a lot. I really am hoping for a Leviathan figure from Batman Incorporated but I doubt this will happen.