RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,687
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 835
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 8 2014, 02:42 AM   #31
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Re: Highest grossing movie ever???

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Titanic did so after it's run.

Avatar did so too. I believe you pointed it out. So to be more specific how can they claim that if they are not the biggest money makers.
So this whole thread is based on you seeing Titanic and then Avatar claiming to be the highest grossing movies ever (without adjusting for inflation) and wondering, about 5 years later, how those 2 specific movies could have claimed that at the time?

Or are there other movies you weren't being specific about?
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 04:32 AM   #32
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
Vanyel wrote: View Post
Titanic did so after it's run.

Avatar did so too. I believe you pointed it out. So to be more specific how can they claim that if they are not the biggest money makers.
So this whole thread is based on you seeing Titanic and then Avatar claiming to be the highest grossing movies ever (without adjusting for inflation) and wondering, about 5 years later, how those 2 specific movies could have claimed that at the time?

Or are there other movies you weren't being specific about?
Before Titanic, there was Jurassic Park, E.T., Star Wars, Jaws. All claimed the title, or were acclaimed as such. (ETA) There were others which held the title, but shouldn't have without being adjusted. So basically, since the era of the Summer Block Buster movies (Jaws is usually considered the first Summer Block Buster.) different movies have tried to lay claim to the title, Avatar is just the most recent.
Old January 9 2014, 03:18 AM   #33
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Fair enough. I was just confused by the timing of the thread, as all of those movies came out over a decade ago (when the question, to me, seemed more relevant) and I was confused if a recent movie was trying to muscle in on this claim. Avatar no longer really feels recent to me, for example.

My mistake.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote