Is DW franchise big enough to release a movie in theaters right now?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Dream, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Re: Is DW franchise big enough to release a movie in theaters right no

Felt I need to quote this.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Why? Because we want to do more mindless JJ bashing that's completely off topic? Please. This is stuff that gives fandom a bad name. Let's try and avoid that and make this a more mature discussion.

I don't think a DW movie would work in the current movie system. You'd need it to be cheaper if you want it to still be DW and if it's going to be cheaper then you might as well just concentrate on the TV series that we already have. If the movie is going to have a big budget then the studios will be nervous and interfere and we'll likely end up with something shitty.

3. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given that TOS and TNG had to die as TV series before promotion to the big screen, I think most long term Doctor Who fans would consider a new movie not much better than cancellation.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I don't think DW has a large enough International appeal to warrant a big budget film.

5. Konata Izumi

It might be only partly on-topic but it's a line of the finest level.
    I sense a hint of self-irony if it helps.

6. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I liked the JJ Abrams movies and I am not a big fan of classic trek. (I prefer TNG, Voy and DS9).

A Doctor Who movie: I rather they keep the show and not do a movie. Though doing a movie in between wouldn't be horrible. (I don't think it would do as well internationally)

I think like star trek Doctor who is better suited to a weekly episode format. I have to say I did like all the TNG movies. *oh hush*

7. sidious618

It's not a line of the finest level at all. It's something I'd expect from a fifth grader, not an adult. It's juvenile, cheap, and shows a distinct lack of perspective between the real world and a movie. The two of you do this often and it's bloody tiring. We get you don't like the JJ films. Why you feel the need to bring this up all the time is beyond me.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

By and large, people will not pay money to see in the cinema something that they can see for free on the television. You'd have to create a demand for the movie by either taking the tv show off air - which I suspect none of us want - or by making it something completely different. Be that an American reboot, standalone from the tv show or be it a prequel about the early days of the First Doctor. And you'd have to make it accessible to an audience who know nothing about the tv show.

People have quoted the X-Files and so forth but other tv shows like 24 - which I imagine had a much bigger global audience than DW - were unable to launch a cinematic version. And UK sci-fi movies like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy haven't really set the world on fire.

Personally, I'm much happier with 13 hours a year or whatever of tv Who than a 2 hour movie every 2-3 years.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Ditto

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Why bother? Just because you can make a movie doesn't mean you should. Look at all the Star Trek movies, they dont have Star Trek feel to them.

11. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And what feel is that, exactly? From where I'm standing, the new films feel very consistent with TOS.

As for a Who movie, maybe after a few more years on BBC America to drum up an audience in the US. They've built a solid cult audience but without a broader appeal I think we'd be looking at Serenity-level performance at the box-office.

12. Konata Izumi

USA TV pacing?:shrug:

Maybe it helps to know if all of the tv series have the desired feel?

At least the new movies are a bit different genre even.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  13. Konata Izumi

Is there an argument there somewhere?

There's an escalation thing going on there if I had to explain it further.
    That sounds a bit like I neither like them. But in general, it can be hard to unsee many many things. So it can be made humorous.

14. sidious618

It's frustration. Frustration that people feel the need to complain about JJ as often as possible, bringing him into threads that have nothing to do with him. It's annoying and juvenile. You didn't like the new Star Trek films? Fine. But don't bring it up all the freaking time. I've had actual real life disappointments that I bring up less than people who go on about the JJ films do.