What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

No Golem, eh? We'll talk after you finish the book. Unless you'd like to share your little theory now... ;)

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished The Janson Option by Paul Garrison, a series Robert Ludlum had started. Liked it quite a bit. Going to have to go back and read the earlier ones now.

3. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

My Father, My President: A Personal Account of the Life of George H. W. Bush by Doro Bush Koch.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Heh. I'll put it in spoiler code, in case anyone else plans on reading (it's a good book so far):

He made a point of mentioning strange little figurines that his mother made, very different from her usual arts and crafts. Then his one-night stand complained about being bitten on the ankle by a cockroach. I was thinking that maybe the figurines were little tiny Golems. But now he's encountered and photographed a strange bug at the cemetery, so I guess not. And you have me thinking that I've seen a Golem already and don't know it. :D

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Boston Stranglers by Susan Kelly

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

The Time Machine books, starting with HG Welles' original 1895 book.

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am listening to Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child, narrated by Scott Brick.

I am a bit disappointed with it. It is a rather unoriginal story.

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Routine Orders.

9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading "Watchmen."

10. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Received Gray Mountain for Christmas, halfway through.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek Phase II: The Lost Series by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens

12. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

13. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris.

14. Smellincoffee

Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery, Eric Metaxes

I'm not especially impressed so far, but I enjoy the subject.

15. Miss Chicken

I am listening to Little Big Man by Thomas Berger, narrated by Scott Sowers. I have read the book twice before and seen the movie many times.

I never got around to reading A Christmas Carol. I will leave it until next December.

16. Smellincoffee

Traditionally, the twelve days of Christmas aren't over until January 6th. ;)

17. Miss Chicken

Instead of the 12 Days of Christmas I celebrate the 10 Days of Newton (25 Dec - 4 Jan) so during those days I should be reading science books. However I am looking at Cosmos instead.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Okay, I did see the Golem. Several times. That was sure a different kind of Golem. :rommie: The book was very good, though different from what I expected-- I was expecting more Golem and more Hollywood and wasn't anticipating a police procedure with deleted scenes from the Old Testament. Very enjoyable, though; I could hardly put it down.

Now I am reading a collection of old stories from Astounding.

19. mari

mari Captain Captain

Husband bought me Hyperbole and a Half the book for Xmas - I'm already familiar with most of Allie's stories but the expansions and additional illustrations are nice, and I've had to stifle giggles a few times (don't want to wake the baby!!).

He also bought me a book about Beatles lyrics, which will likely be occasional reading rather than a read-it-through-at-once book.

I stalled out on the two I'd been reading on Kindle... Season of the Harvest and Only Superhuman. Season of the Harvest lost me with the over-explaining, particularly of acronyms. I seriously don't care, just get on with the story! Only Superhuman I guess I am just not in the right frame of mind for right now, which is too bad because I'm 70% done and I did like the premise.

I plan on getting Scalzi's Lock In pretty soon. I read the free companion story on Tor.com and definitely need to read the book.

20. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Reading The Explorer by James Smythe. I got it because the description made it sound like it would be a survival story like The Martian, but it turned out to be something completely different. It's basically about a journalist who gets chosen to go on a space mission to document it, and when everyone slowly gets killed off, he ends up being the only one left on the ship with no idea how to operate it. That's what made me think of The Martian. But it's somewhat of a time-traveller's paradox story once the accident happens, and he's trapped in a time loop, watching everything happen again from a different viewpoint, gaining more insight into what actually happens each time around. So, in that sense it's sort of like Groundhog Day meets Interstellar. The beginning is rather bleak and slow and I wasn't sure at this point if I liked it, but the further the story went on, it picked up steam and I've been really liking it.