Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Greg Rucka came up with "The War" about twenty years ago - Busiek is just expanding on the concept in his series.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I wonder if Namor's green trunks will reappear in the comics now that the MCU is using them? The black "armor" version has been getting weirder and weirder.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Earlier tonight I read an article on Marvel's website all about Miracleman, and at one point it referred to the person who brought him back in the modern comics as The Original Writer. I was just wondering who that is, and why they won't or can't use their name?

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alan Moore was the Original Writer starting in the UK then continuing in the US via Eclipse comics. They can't use his name because Moore is a professional Contrarian.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of suspected it was probably him.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't want to start a new thread for this, when we have this perfectly good one, so I'm just bringing it back to life (I wonder why the DC thread is so much more active, I guess people just aren't reading Marvel Comics very much around here).

Anyway, I just finished reading the main part of the 2000s Marvel cosmic Saga, from Jim Starlin's 2000s Thanos mini through Annihilation, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy (Volume 2), Annihilation: Conquest, War of Kings, Realm of Kings and The Thanos Imperative. This whole era of cosmic Marvel is amazing. Events that actually mattered and were well written, long ignored characters brought back into the spot light, and a literal cosmic scale of storytelling that Marvel has never recaptured. Its so good I think its actually made me slightly less fond of the MCU GotG, just because I like the comic versions of the characters so much more after really getting familiar with them (especially Starlord and Gamora).

Annihilation is the crown jewel in the Marvel Cosmic stuff, an event so great and well told that its instantly a top 3 event story of all time for me, and its neck and neck with Blackest Night for the #2 spot (Crisis on Infinite Earths will always be #1 for me, though). Its amazing how they did all this without messing with the Earth based stuff, honestly having more Earth based heroes involved would probably have hurt the story. You can really feel the scale of the war against the Annihilation Wave while reading the story, and it definitely took Annihilus from a character I considered a D-List Fantastic Four villain to a huge threat.

Nova and the first modern Guardians of the Galaxy solo series with both rock solid. They existed a lot of the time to tie into the other cosmic stuff, but it was done well and really raised the character's profiles in my eyes. Annihilation Conquest wasn't quite as good as the first event, but it was still great and the whole "Borg type assimilation by the Phalanx but the victims keep their personalities" thing was a very interesting story decision that lead to some great moments.

War of Kings/Realm of Kings were pretty decent, but I like the Nova/Guardians/Kree cosmic stuff better then the Shi'Ar/X-Men Cosmic stuff, so it wasn't quite as good for me. I also thought that the Inhumans weren't written all that well at times, I don't think that Medusa is generally as much of an asshole as she is in these stories for example , but it wasn't a huge problem, the stories were still decent.

The Thanos Imperative was ok. They mixed all the branches of cosmic stuff together, and we got one hell of a battle (seeing Galactus and other cosmic beings just silently enter the battle to save the universe was amazing), but I don't think that the Cancerverse is as interesting as the writers think it is, and I'm annoyed that Nova and Starlord went away for awhile and came back changed in a bad way (I'm pretty sure Starlord started copying the MCU version once he returned, and I'm not sure when Richard Rider came back). Plus knowing they introduced that terrible kiddie Nova after this event (I don't care who he's based on, he sucks) is annoying.

So, I'm almost done with this era of cosmic stuff. Just need to read a few mid to late 2000s Silver Surfer minis and the Annihilators mini and thats basically it (I read Bendis's mediocre mid 2010s GotG stuff as it came out, and Marvel Cosmic in general barely exists anymore, and tends to just be lukewarm MCU copycat GotG type stuff when its not terrible crap like Hickman's Infinity). I do want to go and read some DC stuff, but I think I'll eventually get into the older Marvel space stuff, like the original Infinity Saga, eventually.

7. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great write-up!
    I skipped these events because of some weird thing in my brain that doesn't like reading anything to do with Warlock or Thanos unless Starlin is directly involved. I've been burned too many times before and the original Warlock stuff just blew my mind back in the day. Comic in a deeper way than your typical space opera stuff.

But maybe I'll have to give this a shot if I can find it all at a decent price somewhere.

kirk55555 likes this.
  9. kirk55555

Annihilation actually has kind of an unofficial lead in with a 12 issue Thanos series (also called Thanos: Redemption, at least in TPB form) from 2004 written by Jim Starlin, which ties directly into Thanos' part of Annihilation and even brings back Star Lord (who hadn't been seen in comics since 1982, from what I can tell). I thought it was a really good book just on its own, and its a good loose start to the Annihilation era.,

10. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ike’s gone.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  11. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally.

The Knappos likes this.
  12. kirk55555

Read Silver Surfer: Requiem today. Its an out of continuity "final days" story about Silver Surfer, written by
    J. Michael Straczynski. It was excellent, when JMS is good he's legitimately great, and he did a great job with this mini series. A definite recommend.

13. Happenstance

Happenstance Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ordered myself Aliens The Original Stories Omnibus vol.3&4 and Predator The Original Stories Omnibus vol.1 today. Vol.1 of Aliens shouldn't be hard to get but I think I'll have to hope for a reprint of vol.2 down the line. Looking forward to getting into them though. Despite loving the movies for both I never delved into the comics.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read "Ms Marvel: The New Mutant" today.

Now she's a mutant.

WTF?

Inhumans were meant to big, but they did not become that.

HOWEVER...

I think that they are lying to her.

The X-Men are lying to her, so that they now have a covert operative, who amid all the racism/genocide, can fail a test for mutation, and penetrate any enemy stronghold.

No evidence.

Just a gut feeling.

The book was fine, but I started reading this character when she was a kid, having kid adventures, but now she's a skinny 17 year old with an enlarged chest.

So it's weird.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The big Inhuman push came when Marvel/Disney didn't have the movie rights for the X-Men, so they wanted to make the Inhumans the next big things since they owned all their rights. But now that they have the X-Men rights back, they're back to focusing on the mutants.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one, so here we are.

Is anyone reading Iron Man? I hadn't read any Iron Man since Christopher Cantwell finished his run and I finally decided to catch up last week. I must say, I'm not sure if I like it or not.

I like some of the story aspects, particularly the stuff with Emma Frost, but I have found the writing very uneven pace-wise. Some issues move along at a nice pace, while others seemed to be rushed just to get to the next big event.

I haven't read much of Jerry Duggan's stuff before. Is it all like this?

Also, that new armour is FUGLY.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been reading it in the Marvel app so I'm about three months behind. It's...okay. Kind of dragging. I doubt it's something I'd revisit.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

This has got my attention. Anything X-Men related written by Chris Claremont will get my attention at the very least.

Wolverine: Deep Cut is telling an "untold" story that's actually already been told, but I'll get to that.

Set during the classic "outback era" of Claremont's run, Deep Cut will show us Claremont's story of where Logan was and what he was up to during his absence from the book between issues 246 and 251, leading into the "Siege Perilous" era.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/com...hris-claremont-edgar-salazar-untold-adventure

Note that I said "Claremont's story" of what Logan was up to during that time. However, there is already a story that fills that gap in Wolverine's own book, which was not written by Claremont anymore at this point.

The seven issue run written by Archie Goodwin with art by John Byrne from issues 17 to 23, which was published more or less around the same time began with Wolverine telling Storm that he had to go take care of some personal stuff, and ended with Wolverine returning to the Outback base. It's notable that Wolverine returned to the Outback by way of a Jeep, and was not just automatically brought back by the mysterious teleporter Gateway when he was ready to return as would usually happen, as also seen in Uncanny X-Men 251. Wolverine would later lament in the main X-Men book that should have been his first clue that something was wrong at the base. It's clearly meant to be the same scene.

https://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Cl...&dplnkId=34e63216-d23f-45f7-82ca-01eed7030695

But, like I said, minor continuity niggles aside, almost any X-Men material written by Chris Claremont will get my interest up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024 at 6:15 PM