Titan and The Fall news

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd really hate a jump forward for VOY. For once I'd really love to see the consequences of events. I'd like to see Janeway dealing with what happened to her and the rest of the crew adjusting to her return. Not to mention that VOY right now's the only series in the 24th century that isn't dealing with the Typhon Pact - since I haven't read any of those books so far, that matters quite a great deal to me.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels? When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels? When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels? When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels? When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels?"

"Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels? Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels? Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels? Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels? Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels?"

"When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels? When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels? When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels? When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels? When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels?"

:lol:

3. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Spoke my mind ..

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I, for one, hope that Voyager stays with it's current pace if it's needed, but i also wouldn't mind a minor time jump. Moving the story to 2382 or 2383 can be done in the way books like Rough Beasts of Empire did, or episodes like Year of Hell depicted a whole year. It's easily done through an anthology as well. There are several different options at their disposal. As always, as long as the stories stay strong, I'll keep coming back.

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind a jump in Voyager, but it depends on HOW they handle it. The DS9-jump itself wasn't a big issue for me in itself, the issue was that they never bothered to tell the damned story!!

So, a second Full Circle-style novel for Voyager would work, where some of the events that happened in those years are told in a flashback sort of way, half of the book in 2384, the other half telling us what happened during those years.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Quite !

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes it's a difference between a RBoE type jump and a Full Circle type of jump. Not only did Full Circle do a time jump and do it well, Kirsten actually made it seem like we didn't even miss anything in the years that were rushed over.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like to say though, that RBoE is one of my favorite Treknovels of the last few years.

9. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

It's been a while since I read RBoE, but it seems like you either love it or hate it, haha. I enjoyed it very much, though.

10. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As always, not the same people.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

True, but the point is that there's no way to satisfy all fans. So the fact that some fans reacted negatively to a decision doesn't prove it was the wrong decision, since every decision will make some fans unhappy.

12. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, of course. But as this "joke" is told every time someone brings up the time jump, I feel it should also be pointed out these are not the same people, so as to not imply that all fans are crazy. You can please some of the people some of the time.

13. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No! I will never be satisfied! :p

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

And you are basing this on what, exactly ? :)

15. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I was never all that interested in the Ascendants arc in the first place, so it didn't bother me that that arc didn't pan out.

17. Sci

That's an awful lot to extrapolate from a very vague synopsis. You got a lot of things wrong the last time you tried to make definitive declarations about the details of events in novels like Plagues of Night, Raise the Dawn, and Fallen Gods. Perhaps you should consider not jumping to conclusions on the basis of little evidence.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But why are you still reading them and hanging out here if that's the case? Do you derive enjoyment from writing about how much you don't like the line?

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well pardon me for being repetitive, but I don't recall seeing it before.

19. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

I really enjoy the current storylines and directions, but we could be more polite to people who disagree. When i try and enthuse people about the Destiny/Typhon Pact era, some real hard-on Trekkies seem put off by precisely what this person complains about. Indeed the same kind of language pervades, often coupled with that awful 'this is not what Trek means' [present tense!]. :confused:

As I said in another thread: it is these contrasts of what people think Trek is, which create real disagreements over acceptance of the texts. In truth Trek doesn't have one identity, one point, one theme at all: it is a menagerie, linked by certain names, aesthetics, creators and ideas. But there is no one Trek, just franchise iterations chic (or not chic) in their occurances. However, I understand when people are sad or disagreeable with current general themes and franchise directions.

20. Sci

1. I was not rude or impolite to Edit_XYZ. I asked an honest question.

2. Understand -- I can honestly not recall Edit indicating enjoyment of any Trek novel in any thread he has participated in. As far back as I can remember his posting here, he's consistently indicated fundamental dissatisfaction with both the overall direction and the particulars of the Treklit line, and has often seemed very angry about it. So I think it's fair to ask why he keeps reading the books, and why he spends so much time in the Treklit Forum, if he just doesn't like Treklit these days.