Trek Year: To Boldly Watch Every Episode in One Year

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Trek Year, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Thete

Thete Ensign Red Shirt

I'm doing a similar thing right now, and I am watching them in order - however I'm aware this may not work. My plan is if I feel it becoming a chore, I'll just go off and watch an episode of, say, VOY, or DS9, and then come back to TOS, where I currently am.

I decided to do it this way because all five series share fairly good continuity. I realised that by just jumping in with TNG, I had no idea how the Klingons and Federation came to be on good terms.

2. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

That's a good way to do it, find what works for you and stick with it just be aware of the story arcs in DS9 and ENT so you don't accidentally jump into the middle of one, but even then that could be enough to peak someone's interest.
    Star Trek 6 and the TNG episode 'Yesterday's Enterprise' do a good job explaining this they are also fantastic to boot.

3. Trek Year

Trek Year Ensign Newbie

I really want to thank you all for your feedback on this project. I have some new reviews up and would love you all to give me your opinions.

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I am watching all of them this year as well, but in an unconventional order.

Either way, I don't feel burned out. I love it!

Also I wouldn't put a deadline on it.
    Why not just watch when you want?

For me, I watch it nearly every day unless I have to work late hours.
    I tend to watch them for hours on end marathon-style.

Have fun! :)

5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Except for anyone who was there from 1966 on, we all jumped around at the beginning.

I didn't become a Star Trek fan until the beginning of 1991, starting with the movies, and they were in a jumbled order: 4, 1, 5, 2, 3, 6. Doesn't get much more random than that.

I rented "Encounter at Farpoint" but that turned me off from TNG immediately. I didn't watch it until "Unification", which happened to be the same year the first four seasons of TNG went into strip-syndication. So I was watching the old seasons while I started watching the current one. My memory's a little fuzzy on this but I think the order I watched the TNG seasons in was S3, S4, S1, and S2 with S5 overlapping all the way through. I saw the middle part of S5 before I saw the early part, since I started with "Unification".

In the summer of 1992, I finally got to see some of TOS which instantly became my favorite Star Trek series but it took me about four years to watch all the episodes because broadcast stations kept taking it on and off the air and showing it during late night or overnight hours. Overlapping with TOS, I saw the rest of Star Trek as it was released. Until 1999 anyway, when I stopped watching.

Except for DS9. I didn't regularly watch it until TNG ended. I didn't watch the first two seasons until 1997, so I saw mid-DS9 before I watched early-DS9.

Yeah, so anyway, there was some skipping around. Even today, if I watch an episode on Netflix, I don't stick to any particular order, I just put on what I feel like.

If I stick to an order, it feels too regimented, which is not what I think entertainment should be. If it's serialized then that's different, but most of Star Trek isn't.

6. Trek Year

Trek Year Ensign Newbie

SEASON TWO RECAP! Here are my thoughts on Star Trek's second season filled with fights, gangsters, little fur balls, androids and time travel!

SEASON TWO RECAP!

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could easily watch it all in a year but review it all? That takes heroic stamina. I'd get sick of talking about it before I got sick of watching it.

I've seen it all through multiple times, but yeah you might want to have a day when you watch 5 and then take a break. I just did a fairly quick first watch of all 10 seasons of Stargate and there were a few times in there when I felt like I needed a break from the franchise itself (having already seen the other 7 seasons of the other two series).

I'm looking fwd to reading your updates, hope you keep this thread alive as you go through them all!

IF you could do a synopsis of your youtubes on FB that would be good.. I see you are listing favorite serious, favorite funny etc.. eps for TOS season 2. I'll never listen to all 17 minutes of this, I have a short attention span. But if you have on your FB page I'll definitely read it :lol:

8. Leroy

I subscribed to your youtubes account I'll be sure to post there form time to time.

9. Lord Garth

TOS is much better known than it's actually been watched.

As a result, those who haven't seen TOS take the exaggerations at face value. Those who haven't seen TOS in a very long time, have fuzzy memories and only the what stands out famously or infamously sticks out and that feeds into what others hear about it and taking that at face value. And tastes changed, so there would be fans of TNG who didn't like TOS.

All of that adds up over time. So yeah, the image of TOS and what's built up from the myth and the stories is a lot different from what I thought when I was sitting down and actually watching it.

So, I agree with the YouTube review that I saw for S2.

There are a lot of good episodes, if you take it on '60s terms. The bad episodes in S2 were the exception, not the rule.

Even the third season, I wouldn't call it a bad season as a whole, just a mediocre season with an equal handful of good and infamously bad episodes... but I'll wait until you post your S3 review until I get into that.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have never been bored by TOS. It has a great pace and if something seems lame it is probably also wonderfully 60's so you can run with that. But for 95% of it I'm not watching a 60's show, I'm watching great Star Trek.

11. Leroy

I think it's neat that he's documenting his opinions on the episodes as they are not fromal reviews it's more of a journal. How many times have we've seen in here that someone boldly declare they are going to watch all of Star Trek, then we never here from them again?

I agree with this I also think TOS has acquired a bit of a sacred cow status, among SF enthusiasts and the general public to the point where it's seen as TOS is the only Trek worth watching/caring about.

Season 3 does have the highest concentration of crummy eps in it, you can thank Fred Freiberger for that.

12. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, really more like you can blame severe budget constraints and the departure of key personnel and in addition; no writers wanting to contribute to a show that everyone knew was in it's last season. I think to some extent Fred gets a bad wrap because he was so limited with what he could do. Truth is it was Roddenberry who abandoned the show. There was really no reason for him to leave other than the fact that he knew there was no future in Star Trek and wanted to move on to something else to generate income. With Roddenberry gone, Bob Justman gone and Finnerman gone; Fred really didn't have much to work with. It is amazing that he was able to produce stellar episodes like "All Our Yesterdays," "The Enterprise Incident," "Elaan of Troyius," "The Tholian Web," etc.

13. Trek Year

Trek Year Ensign Newbie

That is a very insightful point! With your permission I'd love to use that phrase in one of my videos, and give you full credit for it.

I really want to thank you all for watching my videos and commenting. Honestly, if no one was watching I don't think I would keep doing this. You guys are such a big part of why I am doing this.

14. Lord Garth

By all means.