Favorite camera angle?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Melakon, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I was originally trying to find a recent thread about a specific episode, but since the only one this year was an avatar contest, I decided to make this about any TOS episode.

My favorite angle in "Mirror, Mirror":

[​IMG]

This is when Kirk is "threatening" the Mirror Halkans. There are several different angles during the scene, but for some reason this particular camera angle is only cut into the scene once.

Are there any episodes where one specific shot is a favorite for you?

2. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always liked the heroic low-angle shots of Scotty in A Taste of Armageddon: "No, sir. I won't lower the screens!"

Also the complicated tracking shot around Spock when he's sobbing mathematically in The Naked Time... ;)

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I loved all the different camera angles. Its one of the features of TOS. At least for me.
    I agree with all that are mentioned.

My most memorable are those in "Is There in Truth No Beauty" particularly where mad Spock sees everyone through fish-eye.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Don't they use that same trick with when Chekov goes mad in The Tholian Web?

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The director -- Ralph Senensky -- used the fish eye in both episodes (he was fired from "The Tholian Web," but not before finishing that scene, as I recall).

6. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No particular scenes are springing to mind, but Harvey Hart's direction of Mudd's Women featured a whole bunch of interesting and creative shots, very unlike the rest of the series as a whole. Try it, and see! :)

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really like this shot from The Doomsday Machine. I think it's the only time in TOS when see Spock from this far behind his scanner.

This shot from The Immunity Syndrome, which I also like, is also from behind the scanner, but it's not the same.

8. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I've always loved that shot from Doomsday Machine. That modular bridge set really was amazing.

9. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favorite camera angle of this episode was the "jackass Walsh" scene with Kirk, Spock and Scotty on the bridge.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Augh. They could have moved in just a hair and not made it so obvious the upper part of the stations are missing.

11. Push The Button

Somewhere I have a photo that I snapped of that very scene from my grandmother's color set, from around 1982. As I recall, f8 at 1/30th of a second would give you a pretty good "screengrab" from a color TV screen.

12. Green Shirt

The most obvious shot of this type is the one from Errand of Mercy, with the wood floor support and the side of Spock's station visible.

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

"Mudd's Women" has a lot of classically composed deep-focus shots reminiscent of the work of Orson Welles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, this was series television, not Citizen Kane. From Memory Alpha:

14. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mount Shatmore!

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

"Spectre of the Gun" is full of imaginative angles too, but it's not currently in my collection. I'm going to try and get the complete series for either December or January.

I've always liked the bridge set. It looked pretty amazing watching it on television in the 1960s, and frequently inspired directors to try some creative shots.

17. Green Shirt

If someone used photoshop to replace Farrell's 'Millard Fillmore' with Spock's 'Thomas Jefferson', it would be a true Mount Trekmore. :)

18. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

19. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, Spectre of the Gun did give us a pretty good Mount Trekmore! :)
    [​IMG]

20. Push The Button