Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

My favorite part of "Haven" is when the actor playing Wyatt's father (you know, the former UFP president) messes up his line, "But Homm can't talk," and instead says, "But Comm...! But Homm can't talk!"

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

If those numbers are just the US, then it's lookin' really good.

3. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

^^ I agree. If they can make almost 6 million USD in just a few days in the US alone with all the issues that came up in that first week with the audio problems etc then they will recoup their investment very soon indeed. Which means in a month or so they will be looking at pure profit. If not a lot sooner! :techman:

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I just watched Symbiosis for the first time in ages and found it actually really damn GOOD.

The subject of drug addiction and the exploitation of one people by another for profit feels more timely and relevant than ever, the moral dilemma faced by Picard is a compelling one, and the arguments between him and Beverly were absolutely riveting to watch. And the fact the Omarans look for all the world like a couple of meth addicts just gives the episode a darker, edgier feel I never really noticed before.

In fact the writing overall was surprisingly intelligent, I thought.

Yeah, there's that one cheesy "drugs are bad" speech by Tasha, but even there it's kind of a shock to hear one of our wholesome TNG crew talking about how good drugs feel, and hinting pretty strongly that she was a huge addict at one time herself. Lol

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Agreed on all counts.

After rewatching season one, I found it much stronger than I remembered and it was always my favorite TNG season to begin with.

There's really only one unwatchable episode and that's Angel One. :techman:

6. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have the same feeling. I used to really like that episode but now its horrible. At the time it stood out as a bright spot out of a season 1 of a new Star Trek series I was really trying to like at the time. I have to say looking back, I don't like TNG as much as I used to, I'm more of a DS9 fan since it was more in line with the original series in portrayal of its characters. DS 9 benefitted from the addition of O'brian, and Worf.

-Chris

7. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Despite the heavy-handed and corny message, I've always found the episode quietly powerful. Picard's wise decision not to get involved, and the way he told us (through Beverly) its justification was an immense change over the original Star Trek. Kirk would nearly always have found some way to intervene, but Picard resisted the natural impulse to help.

8. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard just sanctimoniously pontificates to the aliens of the week about how great humans are..lol Then find some excuse not involve himself. Pen Pals, and I Borg are two examples. Picard had a tendency to surrender an awful lot as well. At least when Kirk did it, he always had a plan b.

As a political aside...
    I think TNG suffers a lot because at the time Gene was a flaming lib. Same thing happened with George and the Star Wars prequels, he sucked the whole mystical element of the force from the original trilogy right out of the series. In TNG Gene's view on Terrorism is wrong, moral equivalence was a big theme in TNG. Just compare TNG to Paradise Lost on DS9

Really, humans will not be in conflict with one another, just wipe out thousands of years of history. The original star trek was about how humans were on a constant journey to improve ourselves, we weren't perfect. TNG sort of flipped that. Gene's dictates sucked a lot of drama out of the show.

TOS, DS9 were more center right. Liberals had their say through Spock for example, but he at least made sense.

-Chris

9. davejames

That being said, I don't think it would have hurt a whole lot for Picard to at least inform the two Omarans that they were being exploited and that their "disease" was really a drug addiction.

They probably wouldn't have cared or done anything about it, but at least it would have been something.

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I have it on good authority a certain Mistress Beata is most displeased with this assertion - especially as it comes from, a man! :rofl:

11. BillJ

Well, I think Picard does throw a monkey wrench in the long-term relationship by refusing to give over the coils to fix the obsolete freighters.

12. BillJ

:guffaw:

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Terrific sales data...it beat a newly released movie and also recouped half the first season's cost in just a few days.

RAMA

14. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

That “cheesy speech” wasn’t intended for you. It was intended for the 15-year-old on the bridge and even more for the 15-year-olds in the audience.

Denise Crosby unexpectedly manages to pull it off without making me want to muzzle her. Rewatching the season, I’ve noticed that her acting becomes less cringeworthy as the season progresses, and in Symbiosis she’s legitimately a competent actress. There’s nothing really horrible from her in the episode, and there are even a few moments where she rises above merely competent. For example, I like the way she delivers “Behave yourselves, gentlemen.”

This is one of my favorite S1 episodes... which isn’t saying much. The writing is smart and Stewart is in fine form. It’s nice to see Judson Scott and Merritt Butrick too.

15. davejames

Yeah I thought she delivered it about as well as anyone could have. And it's probably the way you would have to explain it to a kid from their more evolved time who's never encountered drug use before.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

"Angel One" isn't very good, but it's a classic work of drama compared to "Justice."

I also found myself surprised at how good "Symbiosis" was, except for the aforementioned Wesley/Tasha scene, which is embarrassing to watch. It transforms a decent morality play into an after school special before your very eyes.

17. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't get the hate for Tasha's so-called "drug speech."

Everything she says is spot-on.

The writers even had her go out on that limb by actually saying drugs can make you feel good.

I still wonder why people decide to start smoking these days, with everything that's known. When I see someone young smoking, I'm bewildered. Although with a low opinion of humanity, I shouldn't be surprised.

Is it possible those who like to come down on this do so to defend some addiction of their own?

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

No one really seems to get the speech at all, its not saying say no to drugs, its less simplistic than that..it's saying they don't understand why they used drugs in previous centuries and the analogy is that such reasons in our time are far less simplistic than people like to make it out to be. I always have to shake my head when people misunderstand the " just say no speech" that never was.

RAMA

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I actually like elements of Justice, including the ending, while I have a hard time justifying "Angel One's" existence...

20. davejames

Skin of Evil is another one I liked a lot more when I was a kid. The basic idea of this creature being the discarded evil of an advanced civilization is a cool one, and I still love that bitter, anguished voice they used for him, but unfortunately he just comes across as way too cartoonish and one-dimensional now.

Marina Sirtis definitely gives one of her best performances though, and the way Troi slowly draws out the truth from Armus is actually pretty well-written and fun to watch.

Kinda bummed the moving oil slick effect wasn't fixed or improved for the blu-ray though. It still looks like just a fake, animated drawing (which I guess it what it probably was). I'm guessing the CBS team just used the original element there and didn't even try to recreate it.

And of course the distinctly green uniform Beverly is wearing in some of the funeral shots is even more apparent in HD now. Lol