Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dale Sams, Jan 28, 2013.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I know, I meant one episode of Lost In Space.

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Sorry, this is way off-topic, but I was just curious. Is this just exaggeration? Do you actually remember stuff from when you were three? Or did someone just tell you later in life that you liked those shows when you were three? Just wondering.

3. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Hmm, no mention of Cartoon Network's brief foray into live action? Tower Prep.

I was the only one watching that show. I knew it!

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember a pilot movie that aired in 1994 on the Prime Time Entertainment Network, called Island City. It starred Kevin Conroy. I had seen Batman TAS prior to this, though I can't recall if at the time I recognized his name or voice.

Speaking of cities ;) , there was a short lived show on CBS several years back on CBS I watched called Century City, which was basically just a legal drama with a futuristic setting (the year 2030).

I watched the pilot, but it didn't really capture my interest.

TP though isn't CN's "brief foray" into live-action. The network has made several live-action productions over the years, two of which are part of their current lineup.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh yeah, I kinda liked that one. Brenda Strong was in it too, and it was written and produced by Jonathan Glassner, who later co-produced Showtime's Outer Limits and co-developed Stargate SG-1. I remember quite liking its music, though I've forgotten it now (which is odd, because sometimes I remember music from shows I saw decades ago).

EDIT: No, there it is, I remember the theme music now.

That was a nice idea, a hard-SF show built around credible futurism, exploring the legal and social ramifications of realistic cutting-edge technologies like genetic engineering, life extension, and the like. Unfortunately it was too unconventional for audiences -- too science-fictional for people interested in courtroom dramas and too grounded and dramatic for people interested in what usually constitutes SF on television. So it only lasted for something like 4 episodes before CBS pulled it. However, all 9 produced episodes are available on Hulu.

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

How about:

Star Cops
    That Was Then, This Is Now
    StarHyke
    Gemini Man
    Automan
    The Highwayman

And movies like:

White Dwarf
    Star Command
    I-Man

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does anyone remember the name of a show that took place on a futuristic medical space station? I remember watching a handful of episodes, and I think I liked them. I think it aired on UPN.
    What about Legend? It starred a post-Mcgyver/Pre-SG-1 Richard Dean Anderson as a Wild West author who teamed up John De Lancie's inventor in order to in order to pass himself off as his fictional character.
    How about Jake 2.0? It was baisically a more serious version of Chuck. It followed an NSA tech (played by a pre-Covert Affairs Christopher Gorham) who gets infected with nano-bots who give him all sorts of special abilities.

8. Christopher

That would be Mercy Point starring Joe Morton. I'm afraid I never watched it, or at least only caught glimpses.

Awesome show. Smart, literate, extremely well-made. It was co-created and run by Star Trek's Michael Piller. And it was a great role for Anderson, a character role as far from MacGyver as you could get, really showcasing his acting skill.

But UPN missed the boat by failing to play up the show's Trek connection. They should've scheduled it alongside Voyager and advertised it as being from one of VGR's creators, but by the time they finally started doing both those things, the show had already been cancelled due to low ratings. And frustratingly, its 13 episodes have never been released on video.

Never cared for it. I didn't like Gorham as the lead (though I've liked him okay in other things), and I didn't find the premise or execution as engaging as it could've been.

9. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sometimes someone can be a fine actor, but just not a lead actor (and the reverse). Over in UK TV, Julie Graham is a great ensemble cast member, but every time she's cast as the charismatic lead (Bonekickers, Survivors remake)... she's just not got it. There are loads of similar actors on both sides of the Atlantic.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't that long ago.

Only 33 years ago.

We moved a lot, and I do mean a lot, so I can identify when early memories happened by where we were living.

but I do remember jumping up and down for those two shows in the late 70s.

Mother swears I loved Starksy and Hutch too, but I don't remember that one at all.

11. Christopher

It's hard for me to get a handle on Gorham, though. At first, I liked him in Covert Affairs. But this past season, they took his character in a darker direction, and I began disliking Gorham's performance again, and remembering why I hadn't liked him in Jake 2.0. I guess maybe it depends on the role.

12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Thanks for replying! I was just curious, since I personally don't have any memories from that age at all... I have a couple snippets from 5 and 6, but that's about as far back as anything goes, and even those are pretty minimal.

Although I would tend to say your first two sentences were mutually exclusive! :lol:

13. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    Land of the Giants - although it did last two years so I guessed somebody watched. Just no-one else that I know

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you. That's been bugging me for years. I could never remember enough details about it to try to look it up anywhere.

15. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I admit I watched it.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

4 seasons.

I was talking to a friend usually into this sort of thing, who had no idea it existed.

Was 7 Days filmed in Australia?

17. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It had the XO from SeaQuest. In my book that was enough of a reason to watch it.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The one thing that never worked for me on that show is why did Frank have to fix everything? Why didn't he just go back in time, deliver the information to whoever was in command and then go back to his room? His qualification was that he could survive the backstep process, not that he was the only person that could solve whatever the issue of the week was.

(I know, I know, because then we wouldn't have a show, but still...)

19. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope, it was mostly filmed in Canada.

20. Christopher

Seven Days had a lot of conceptual problems. What bothered me was how they faced a different cataclysmic threat every week. If cataclysmic threats were that commonplace, how did the world survive before there was a Backstep program? Or, alternatively, why did cataclysms suddenly become so much more frequent immediately after a program designed to prevent them came into being?

Basically, the idea of a time-travel system only meant to be used in the direst emergencies would've made more sense as the occasional movie rather than a series with 22 episodes a year.