Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just can't believe the movie is almost here! I'm really excited about this.

And, frankly, I've just grown tired of folks saying they hate the film, can't stand what they see in the trailers, etc. I understand that. But why keep talking about it at this point? I think we should all take a deep breath and reflect on the fact that we have a summer where we have BOTH a Star Trek AND a Superman film. It's like a dream of mine came true for that to happen, heh.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Its actually a dream of mine, too. Except I'd call it more of a nightmare :lol:

I was never planning to see it in theatres. I actually can't see any movies in theatres right now. I don't drive, the movie theatre is about 30 miles away, and while my Dad likes and would want to see a lot of the movies I do, my parents car isn't very good (it runs, but not very well) and it couldn't go the 30 miles even for the movies we really wanted to see in theatres (like the first hobbit, Avengers, and Iron Man 3). I'll definately see MoS on DVD, when the public library gets it. I don't intend to support this movie at all monetarily.

Also, going back to something else I said that acidentally caused a big argument, yesterday I decided to grab The Artist from the library. It was right there on the DVD rack, so I checked it out. I just watched it today. I'm forced to admit, I liked it. I was wrong about it being bad, and mostly wrong about it being artsy (I still think being a silent film in 2011 makes it technically artsy). Its not amazing, and I wouldn't give it an award or put it on a list of best/favorite movies, but it was a solidly entertaining film. I liked the characters, the story was told well in the format it was in (and was probably better like this than it would have been as a normal film) and it kept me interested and caring about the characters all the way through. It did drag a bit, but that wasn't a huge deal. The actors did a great job. It was an above average movie (not amazing, or really great, but above average and entertaining). So, I can admit to being wrong about it. It doesn't make me want to see any other silent films, but I can't deny its a good movie.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Does it make you wonder what else you've been wrong about?

5. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

25 was chosen because 18-25 is the period of most people's lives where they leave behind the life they've always known (living with parents) and move out into a wider world full of new experiences...experiences that usually lead people to rethink some of their previously held notions. Usually by 25 most people have been on their own for a few years and their perspective on the world is changing.

This x1000. Well said.

No one's saying you'll think like them. What they're saying is that as you get older your perspective on things is going to change. You can't really predict how.

No, no one's saying that at all. Life is going to change you. It won't necessarily make you hate things you loved before, but you'll learn to love other things and you may just drift away from stuff, even stuff you dearly love right now.

For example, I started collecting comics in 1979. I collected steadily for thirty years, always eager to get to the shop on a weekly basis. A few years ago I realized that if I missed a week or three, well it didn't really bother me. Eventually I just stopped going on any kind of regular basis. These days I'll occasionally stop in and pick up something if it interests me, but after thirty years, I no longer collect comics. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate super heroes or anything, but my appreciation for them has changed.

Same for music....twenty years ago I threw away all the music I'd been listening to for the previous decade. Despite having once thought that I'd love that music forever, I just got sick of it after listening to it for so many years.

I'm far more interested in looking for something fresh and new as the old stuff just got stale and tired. It happens. You'll find this out for yourself as the years pass. Somethings you'll find you gain a new appreciation for, others you'll just slowly drift away from. You'll also discover new things to like and be a fan of.

Well I'll definitely give you props for taking the time to see it for yourself so that you could form an honest opinion of it. You learned that it wasn't as bad as you originally thought it was. There's a whole host of things that may not be as bad as you *think* they are if you'd just give them a try. You might be surprised with the results.:techman:

As for MoS, I've been interested in a fresh new take on Superman for years. Sure, I'd love a retro 1938 version where Supes is back to his ass kicking, wise cracking self, but I like what I'm seeing in these trailers.

Hard to believe we're only a week and half away. I'll be there on opening day to see if it delivers the goods.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Glad you liked it, good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone. See, eating broccoli isn't so bad...

9. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awww -- it seems to be gone already. :(

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Lois and Perry White clip on youtube now

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buHoyBz4bwo[/YT]

I just can't shake off the Nolan vibe I get from this clip. I don't what it is.

It reminds me of the scene in "The Dark Knight" when Gordon has a meeting with the Mayor.

Another clip

Man of Steel Clip - "You Let Them Handcuff You?"

[YT]www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWdhbIB2hI[/YT]

11. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice. Really looking forward to seeing this now.

12. kirk55555

The Lois scene definately didn't feel very much like Lois, and the handcuff scene has pretty much already been shown in various trailers and TV spots. The clips haven't increased my hate of the movie, but both sucked.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Cavill came off really well there.

And just a guess, but from the way Lois's "Superman" gets cut off I get the sense it may not be until the end of the movie that he actually gets the name.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

The first clip is exactly like Lois. What are you talking about? :wtf:

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I thought that was perfect Lois, and perfect Perry too for that matter.

16. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Both of those clips of Lois were very good. I am happy that Amy Adams is Lois Lane!! Laurence Fishburn as Perry white is also very good!

17. kirk55555

Fisburn as Perry actually seems like it was a good idea. Lois doesn't, and if she doesn't have a bit more personality in the rest of the movie she'll be completely boring. Still, better boring than angsty/brooding like Clark. Plus, she probably won't tell Clark to let kids drown, so theres already two characters she's likely to be better than.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really liked those scenes, this movie is going to be great.
    Kirk keeps bringing up the scene from the trailer where Johnathan says maybe Clark should have let the kids in the bus drown, personally I have no problem with that attitude in the movie. Sure it might not fit in the with version of Pa Kent who encourages Clark to be a hero, but it fits perfectly with a father who is trying to protect his son. I can see him not wanting Clark to use his powers in front of people like that. Chances are that people would totally freak out, and want to ship him off somewhere to study him, and we all know how those situations usually end in these kind of stories. I honestly think that would be a lot more believable than Pa encouraging him to use his powers at that point.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Amy Adams might just turn out to be my favorite Lois ever. :)

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, I think the "maybe" comment by pa might be part of the bigger "you can't save everyone" speech.