Tom Hardy "terrified" on Nemesis

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by RAMA, Apr 5, 2014.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

But still, his performance is one of the few things that makes Nemesis still very watchable. It's not a great film, but it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

3. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

ive always enjoyed watching the Picard/Shinzon ready room scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl0c_aXJtUc

"Buried deep within you, beneath all the years of pain and anger, there is something that has never been nurtured... the potential to make yourself a better man. And that is what it is to be human. To make yourself more than you are. Oh, yes...I know you...There was a time when you looked at the stars..and dreamed of what might be... "

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

5. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem was never Hardy, it was the stupid idea behind the character that he played very well.

6. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Agreed, Hardy is an awesome actor, one of the very finest of the current generation, alongside the likes of Cumberbatch, Fassbender, McAvoy etc. One of the few actors that will make me watch a film simply on the basis of him being in it.

Witness his performance in Martina Cole's The Take, he is absolutely electric in it, plays a complete and utter psycho, and every time he's on screen you're just waiting for him to do something. Brilliant.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I have to say I love his work since. He was let down slightly by the material in DKR.

Isn't there a rumor he became a drug addict after NEM? I find that hard to believe.

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Hardy did his best, but I just couldn't be sold on the idea that he was a clone of Picard.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

He did an interview years back where he admitted falling into drugs and alcohol due to the pressures of early success and suddenly having money to spend. Seems to happen frequently with young actors, but it looks like Hardy managed to stabilize.

10. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

let down slightly by the material?

It was really just acting with his eyes and his voice, and the dialogue was fine.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I think the guy was let down by the costume, which was hideous and undercut the character's power, and really hurt by having Baird as director. Plus the material sucked. I have only grudgingly become a fan of his, but in the last few years I'm increasingly impressed, especially that thing he did with Shia Lebouef (how that weasel managed to sucker punch Hardy into unconsciousness off-set I still don't understand, it'd be like Wesley Crusher drop-kicking Worf over the tac console.)

12. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking at the video above, I am reminded of how utterly, utterly stupid that outfit was. And it's so squeaky! Funny thing is, the jacket in the screen test is also squeaky! I guess it was just meant to be, for better or worse... :shrug:

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, I'll add my voice in here as well (as if you could stop me!). Tom Hardy played the hell out of the character, and made him rise higher than the material itself. He's a good actor. If you haven't seen Bronson, I recommend it.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find it amazing that Tom Hardy has been in many great films, but he was also in Star Trek: Nemesis. It's kind of like the "One of these things is not like the other" type of thing. I did really like his role, even if the movie was not all that great, though.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I thought the whole Picard clone business was pretty old hat to stake a Trek film on. I didn't think Hardy looked anything like Stewart, yet the production wants us to believe shaving his head makes them identical twins.

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

well I could overlook the appearance as suspension of disbelief(many of the NuTrek actors don't really look like the TOS ones), but Shinzon as a character seems nothing like Picard. Despite the obvious stuff by the writer like having him ordering tea, he just comes across as a generic villainous thug. So the whole "dark mirror" thing is crap.

Heck, Soran seems a lot closer to Picard personality-wise than Shinzon.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Which was pretty stupid. It's certainly not part of your genetic makeup to favor tea over other drinks.