What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I really like this Jeff Shelby...I finished Last Resort and now I'm reading his third book in the series...Alibi High...he writes with humor. Book 4 is called Foul Play; I'm looking forward to that one, too. It's like reading episodes of Murder, She Wrote...well, it feels like it...these are about a family that lives in Moose River, Wisconsin? or Minnesota, can't remember the state offhand; the motherkeeps nosing into mysteries...it's actually fun to read them.

2. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm starting The Heir by Kiera Cass tonight. Book 4 in the Selection series.

3. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

Nazi Occult which goers into the history of the Nazis and their research into the occult with groups like the Thule society. It is published by osprey publishing, of all companies.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I just finished "In the Presence of Mine Enemies" by Harry Turtledove. It's an alternative history novel where the Third Reich won WWII. In this novel, 80 years have passed since then, and Russia and the United States are subjugated by the German Reich. The story focuses on six Jews, living in Berlin, who fight daily to keep their true heritage secret. I highly recommend the book.

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished Measure of a Life, a memoir by Leroy E. Hoffberger. Not very well written, but fascinating because the Hoffberger family is big in Baltimore business/civic life, and Leroy co-founded the American Visionary Art Museum where I volunteer.

Halfway through Traveling the Two-Lane: a memoir and travelogue, by Marilyn Berman.

And I'm still working my way through Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series, reading some and listening to others. When I'm done, I want to try one of his adult novels. Has anyone here read any of them?

6. C. Cole-Chakotay

I finished The Heir overnight. Now, to get back to John J. Nance.

7. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Day Shift by Charlaine Harris

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Reading Dunsany's A Dreamers Tales:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dreamer%27s_Tales

Some nice quotes I picked up over the years

From Gahan Wilson:
    "When I was young, I used to think that wealth and power would bring me happiness... I was right."

This one comes from Colin Wilson:

"Man is an evolutionary Creature who is at his best when possessed by the visions of purpose, and who becomes frustrated and soured and embittered when he is suffocated by the trivial."

Pearl Buck's quote comes to mind:

"The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanely sensitive. To them... a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death."

"Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create -- so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, their very breath is cut off..."

"They must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency they are not really alive unless they are creating."

....Dreamers, Makers, thinkers, shapers...

9. Velocity

Night Owls by Lauren M Roy

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The French and Indian War: Deciding the Fate of North America by Walter R. Borneman

11. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Watership Down by Richard Adams (with my 8 year-old daughter - her first time reading the story). The descriptions are quite dense, particularly considering more contemporary literature. But she's managing those, and is truly enjoying the antics (and dreading the perils) of Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig, & co.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

"The Chaotic Touch of Harmony", by Law Abiding Pony. :D

13. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I loved that book.

14. C. Cole-Chakotay

I'm reading The Residence, about the White House. It's pretty good.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Finished reading The Knowledge: How to Rebuild our World from Scratch and now reading The Three by Sarah Lotz

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Nice. :bolian:

17. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Serpents in the Garden

18. think

think About it! Premium Member

I think I am using the Zen Buddhism Book by D T Suzuki as a prop for my tascam music recorder and once in the now and then kinda flip through the book.,, I also am doing the "Green Magic: The Sacred Connection to Nature" - Book by Ann Moura these Llewellyn Publications are all about the same level in nature and intensity by like page 30 the book is over because they just reviewed it and I have looked ahead for some details and that is that but I do really want to get beyond page 31 at some point in the future I guess... better would be the herbal voodoo workbook and sanataria books but they are very rare. -- Guess I should write something or other soon. 00

19. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

"Red Wing", Jack Marti

20. Velocity

A Sigma Xi Smartbrief article about how viruses may help fight off antibiotic-resistant bacteria.