Anyone have info on this Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock poster?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Bonefortuna, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Bonefortuna

Bonefortuna Cadet Newbie

Hey - I've posted this on a couple places but haven't had much success. I'm hoping someone here may know a little bit about where this Star Trek III The Search For Spock poster came from?

I can't find a match online anywhere - checked Google images, ebay, amazon and some other websites.

It is copyright 1984 at the bottom. Sorry for the glare. Measures 16" x 24" and was rolled, not folded.

http://imgur.com/a5YVFgH

2. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Never seen that one before, sorry.

3. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Never saw that poster before, but it looks cool

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'll bet it was made for Lincoln Enterprises, Majel Barrett's mail order company.

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hm.....

As far as movie posters go, it's very odd one. All it does is show a starship, just sitting there. And not even a ship we ever saw before. I don't think this is an advertisement poster as you would see in cinema's, but more a piece of merchandise.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Plus there are no credits or release date on it. I wonder if it is some kind of promotional material from either a restaurant or retailer?

7. Daddy Todd

That's a great thought. Taco Bell did promotional drinking glasses for III. I bet they did that poster too.

8. Bonefortuna

Bonefortuna Cadet Newbie

On the bottom of the poster it says:

Copyright 1984 Paramount Pictures Corporation under exclusive license to Lando Merchandising Inc. All rights reserved. Star Trek is a trademark of Paramount Pictures corporation registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

9. Therin of Andor

Then you could bet it would have their logo on it.

"Lando Merchandising Inc." sounds like a small post-"Empire Strikes Back" era merchandiser, probably to provide stock to sell from dealers' tables at SF Media conventions. Paramount sold many small merchandise licenses in the 80s.

Okay, I found more in the set!
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/178390597/star-trek-iii-set-4-posters-search-for

One of them repurposes USS Enterprise artwork originally created to publicise TMP.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  10. Daddy Todd

Excellent sleuthing!

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's something familiar about these. I think I may have gotten something similar once, perhaps as some sort of giveaway at a theater. I can't swear to that, though.

12. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

there were a few promotional TMP posters that were given out at supermarkets (in UK) in the early 80s. I had a few of them back then. These look to be similar so maybe they were given out in UK or US stores?

13. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

This is a promotional poster. I found a similar one on eBay here. I remember the flyer for the poster I linked to, but I don't remember the rest of the images. I'm relying on a 31 year old memory here, but I seem to remember this was a promotion with a tissue company here in the US. I'm thinking Scott brand, but please do not take this as gospel. If I could find the flyer on-line that would help, but so far the best I've been able to find is that poster on eBay, which I remember being advertised.

Neil

14. Khan 2.0

that image of Kirk with his hand out to Kruge would've looked great on the movie poster like a Drew struzan thing - as would the crew on the mountain looking up. didn't really care too much for the III movie posters :(

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  15. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

They really got a lot of mileage out of that painting. I remember it from the cover of Mr. Scott's Guide, a boxed set of Pocket TOS novels circa the mid-1980s, and the spines of movies I-V in a 25th anniversary VHS boxed set.

16. Therin of Andor

Also the magazine ads for the wrist communicator TMP walkie-talkies, and a set of vending machine TMP stickers.

17. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure I had them as well.

Zero recollection from where they came, however; I have the vague feeling they were some kind of promotional item - possibly something like a mail-away offer if you sent in four proofs-of-purchase from breakfast cereal.

18. Khan 2.0

also a CD of various tunes from the movies

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^They didn't have CDs when TMP came out -- they first hit the market two or three years later. But the vinyl LP of the TMP soundtrack was a big seller. I still have my original copy, which I listened to religiously in my teens. It came with a record sleeve printed with photos from the film, including an array of photos of the various background aliens barely glimpsed in the movie.

20. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Khan 2.0 likely means Star Trek: The Astral Symphony which had selections from the first five films. Released in 1991. First Trek CD I bought. I still own it, I believe.