Suggestions for desktop computer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Melakon, Mar 20, 2014.

1. farmkid

farmkid Commodore Commodore

That would cost less. A new hard drive would be as little as $50 and a newer version of Windows will be another $100 or so. You're probably better off going with Windows 7 rather than 8 because your computer will almost certainly run 7 but is much less likely to run 8.1. Windows 8.1 has a couple of hardware requirements that cut out a lot of older computers from being able to run it, and if yours runs XP, it's likely it won't work.

I just looked at Newegg's email they sent out a couple of days ago, and if you're really on a budget you could do it all for a little over $100. They have a refurbished 160 GB hard drive for only $20 and Windows 7 for $85. I probably wouldn't go with a refurbished hard drive myself, but it would probably be okay. Just go to Newegg and click on "latest email deals" at the top. At the very least you can save a bit on Windows.

2. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    As for your other question, a wireless keyboard and mouse should plug right into a USB port. So they should be fine with the laptop.

If the laptop has a VGA/SVGA port, you should be fine also.

I'm using the wireless mouse/keyboard (bought 2004) and monitor (2011) that I bought for my XP desktop computer to write this on my Windows 7 laptop right now.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The machine with the bad hard drive was running Windows 7, though it only has 4 gig ram.

The machine I'm on right now is only 2 gig, so I know it won't make it.

And the laptop I saw was 6 gig with Windows 8.

4. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Ram is simple enough to change. Do you know if the old machine was maxed out on RAM or could it handle an upgrade to a 4 Gig chip in one of it's slots?

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've not taken a look inside it in 4 years, so I don't know. My vision is so bad I have to be right on top of what I'm trying to see/read unless it's really large. I think I can handle swapping a drive if I pay careful attention to all the cabling and mounting brackets. Installing Windows shouldn't be a problem, though I know it can take a few hours. The cd/dvd drive was still good and was what I using to watch videos until the machine died.

The dvd drive on this machine is too slow for videos.

I may have to wait until my money arrives later this week, pay the rent, phone, some other bills, then see how much I have left to spend without starving before May. Fortunately, a local mom & pop convenience store lets me run a monthly tab because I've patronized them for 15 years.

ETA: And just spoke with a friend who knows a guy who works on machines, so he'll see if that guy has anything available.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014