The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I noticed and loved that too! It especially came out in his simpler lines... "Hello, Chris." He just sort of had a creepy average dude vibe to him.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

They can do whatever they want now. The crew is united on the bridge and just go from there. This was Batman Begins. The next movie is The Dark Knight.

Harry Mudd: "Let’s turn the clocks back. A year ago, Starfleet wouldn’t dare cross any of you. I mean, what happened? Did your -- did your balls drop off? Hmm?"

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. When he said that line a shiver went down my back. This guy was a little off kilter, which is what happens when your family and everything you know is destroyed.

J.

4. erebus

erebus Commander

profile pending deletion request 28/5/2009
    That the essential characters where preserved and enhanced, that their noblity, teamwork, enthusiasm, eclectic individuality and general proactive attitude to life came through with new energy and youth - i think is very conducive to a vision of the kind of optimistic future society we'd like to aim for today.

5. siskokid888

siskokid888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Either Quark's, or a bar on St. Mark's Place
    OK, here we go. I want to look at the film on 2 fronts - as a movie, and as Trek. First, as a movie -

It was a blast. I was entertained, the story moved, the characters were interesting, the fx were top notch. It was a little manic, but it had energy. When was the last time there was energy in a Trek movie? You could follow the story, even if you weren't a fan. (I saw it with a non-fan, and she loved it). Good music, entertaining, the whole package.

As Trek - I was sure that it wouldn't be "good" Trek, and I was willing to sacrifice that to have life breathed back into the franchise. JJ fooled me, and pulled it off - it's a good movie AND good Trek. The time travel was incidental and accidental - and they did the throwaway line that it changed everything, and you didn't need anything more. The actors, Pine especially, made the good choice not to do imitations of the originals, but I saw Kirk in Pine more than once. The idea of outcasts Kirk and Spock succeeding despite predjudice and disadvantage was enough "message" for me - showing that there is a Kirk in all of us, no matter our situation. Genuine laughs, not the forced comedy of the prior films. I (and the audience as a whole) laughed, cheered, gasped, and enjoyed. Plenty of nods to TOS, TWOK, and even ENT, but not so the non fan would be perplexed by it. I got chills when I first saw the Enterprise, and when Sulu flew her to the rescue. The supporting characters getting stuff to do. Abrams tweaking the fans and turning some Trek mythos on its head (Spock gets the babe!) Was it deep? No, but maybe Trek was not ment to be too deep, maybe more Star Wars than 2001. What did Kirk say - "IT was.....fun". And, at the end, with the dedication, I actually broke into tears, thinking about Deforest and Jimmy and Gene and Majel and how old I am now. Trek and I have grown up (and older) together. I remember being 8 years old, sitting in the Bronx on a Friday night with my Dad, watching the exploits of the heroic James T. Kirk and crew, and feeling excited, and full of wonder as the story unfolded. Trek is young again, and I can't be, but JJ made me FEEL young today, and that felt great. The nitpickers will have a field day, but I'm not getting into it. It was.......FUN. And I can only say this....

Space - the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. It's continuting mission - to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life forms, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Fly on, Enterprise. I'll be there with you. Thanks, JJ

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Oh boy, I'm so glad I'm not the only one thinking that! I love all the original sound effects from TOS, but somehow they felt just out of place here.

And so do I. :D

I loved how he said that. Really weird, without doing very much.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just as a random side note while I'm watching... Star Trek: TMP is like a turtle compared to the new movie.

8. Amaris

I couldn't have said it better. At the end, before I got up to leave, I did tear up, because I felt like I had come home.

J.J, wherever you are, whether you see this or not, from a Trekkie's heart, I thank you.

J.

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

At least it's not a turtle head... :p

Seriously, this was the absolute tricky part. I think the success of this movie will make it easier to let loose the creativity of this team to tell a uniquely new Star Trek story with their own imprint.

THEY will establish continuity and canon now, which is as it should be.

10. Magickthise

Magickthise Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Magickthise's One Sentence Review

Star Trek is by far the best Trek movie ever done, JJ should have been brought aboard long ago, this was worth trudging through the last 15 years of B&B crap to get to, and in many ways, all of Trek heretofore was the background for the epic tale we are about to see unfold over this and the next two films.

Gene and Majel are looking down from atheist heaven and smiling.

Okay, that was two sentences.:rolleyes:

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The movie had all the "social commentary" it needed. :rolleyes:

Star Trek was a smart adventure with great characters forty years ago - the much-vaunted "social commentary" was a frequent - not constant - aspect of the storytelling, not the raison d'etre of the original series. These new folks recognize that, thank god, and concentrated on what made TOS so great - but then, their assignment from the studio was no longer to pander to the "fanbase."

Saw it again this evening in the same theater as last night - very different experience. The place was packed. A lot of teens in groups and young couples, quite a few folks in their thirties and forties (looked like) and older couples as well - it's a Friday night and this is a downtown shopping district, so I guess that's about what you'd expect for a film opening.

People were really into the whole thing, reacting to the trailers (no surprise, "Terminator Salvation" and "Transformers II" look to be the most popular, with least noticable reaction to "G.I. Joe" and "Night At The Museum II" ). Throughout the movie folks responded pretty much as one imagines the filmmakers intended, particularly with respect to laughing at all the jokes. Cheering for the characters, applause - applause! - at the first appearence of the Enterprise. Oh, the Academy scenes - Uhura's dorm and particularly the Kobyashi Maru - got a lot of reaction, and when the camera panned to reveal Spock as the author of the test people really laughed. Sustained applause when the ship went to warp at the end and the first end-title cards appeared.

Personally, I love the "Shatner walk/posture" thing that Pine does when Kirk is first revealed in the command gold.

12. Amaris

Honestly, I'm still processing everything. It was such a wonderful, fantastic experience. I never saw my first theater Star Trek until Nemesis (but I've been a huge Trek fan since I was 4) which means I missed all of the old crew and most of the new. Coming out of that movie was good, because I was glad to see a Trek movie in the theater.

This is wholly different. Today I can say that I saw the old crew on the big screen, but in a new and different way, and I felt as if I had come home. It was a spectacle, a wonderful experience, and one I won't soon forget. I have already decided that when this film comes out on BluRay, I am buying it... and a BluRay player. This movie deserves nothing less.

J.

13. Michael

Re: Magickthise's One Sentence Review

Hardly warrants an own thread, though. There's a Grading and Discussion thread at the top of the forum. [/mini mod mode] :shifty:

14. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

The movie is great fun. It will take a little time to get used to this version of Trek.

One thing I would really like to thank the producers for. Thank you for not pressing the B&B reset button.

15. Starbreaker

Screw Blu Ray... I'm buying an IMAX screen!

16. dkehler

dkehler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw it last night. I don't know if it's because of my own overly high expectations because of the incredibly positive buzz or whether I'm just an old, sad fanboy, but the only word that comes to mind is: DISAPPOINTMENT.

Mind you, there is a lot to like in the movie, including pretty much all of the characters we know and love as well as plenty of humour, action and eye-popping special effects. But the plot, no matter how much I try not to nitpick, is an absolute disaster.

Where to begin?

1. Nero and his crew sat around for 25 years? Really? (And yes, I know of the Klingon prison planet subplot that got cut, but that's not in the movie, so it doesn't count, but even if it was, it opens up another can of worms such as: How did he get his ship back? Etc.)

2. He couldn't make old Spock watch the destruction of Vulcan on a viewscreen or something? Then you would have the added bonus of getting to torture him afterwards or at least actually see the devastation of the man that you've waited 25 years for.

3. "Delta Vega" must be awfully close to Vulcan. At least they could have called it something else.

4. If Scotty can beam someone millions of miles away, it certainly makes starship travel a lot less necessary. A lot faster as well.

5. Kirk becomes the captain after just one mission for the Enterprise? So much for the years that Capt. Pike had her, yet all of the Kirk era crewmembers are already in place even though he's taking command of the ship many years earlier in this timeline.

In short, it's like the writers brainstorm for hours on what cool set piece we can dream up, but five minutes on the stuff in between. I also would have liked to see something a little more heartfelt when old Spock, however improbably, meets his long lost best friend. Oh, sure, he says, "I have been and always shall be your friend," but it didn't somehow seem genuine to me. Everything was just rush, rush, rush to the next action sequence.

I give it a very generous 7/10.

17. Magickthise

Magickthise Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True, I couldn't agree more, but

1) I used to post here a lot years ago, when it was still UGO, I just came back tonight because of this film tonight because I am excited Trek might possibly have a future that was worth its past;

2) It's Friday, I'm drinking, and oddly, I don't care; and,

3) Have we met? I knew TGT when he was still Mr Stinkypants

18. Michael

:lol: I don't think we have, no. But what the fuck, TGT was once Mr. Stinkypants? Somehow that fits. ;)

19. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did anyone stay until the very bloody end? I kinda wished they put it earlier, either at the very beginning or at the start of the end credits, but the last slide was "In memory of Gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett-Roddenberry." I thought that was pretty neat.

20. Starbreaker

There's still a big UGO banner up top...

TGT was The Great Mambo Chicken or something similar too...